mtbr member

Fork replacement suggestion

got the Trek Marlin wanting to replace the fork for a better suspension fork. I see rust already after one year on the bottom tube. Weird, kinda concerns me
    Any recommendations for a great suspension fork Rockshox Reba RLT perhaps budget is up to 1k incl. LBS install?
    Last edited by Frugaltravelguy; 01-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.

ready to ride
    You can get just about any good fork with a $1000 budget. I might argue that spending $1000 on a 100mm travel fork built around a $700 bike is going to be overkill. I might take part of that budget and upgrade some other components like your wheel set.

That said you may have a little trouble finding one for the G2 geometry of your bike. G2 forks have a 51mm offset, most other forks are a lot less around 38 to 45 depending on the brand. Its affect on handing is debatable though and at the end of the day you probably won't notice much difference. No personal experience with the manitou tower pro but I believe it has a 48mm offset that might match your bike better than a non G2 reba, actually it looks like the current rebas have a 46mm offset so not sure 2mm will make any difference at all.

There are tons of threads in this forum about shocks, spend some time reading them and decide for yourself.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Your local Trek dealer should be able to order your a "G2 Geometry" suspension fork from Trek for you. Trek carries higher-end replacement forks that will work well on your Marlin. I'd recommend the RockShox Recon at a minimum, and perhaps a Fox F29 on the higher end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just picked up a 2013 Reba RLT 29" last month on eBay. Brand new and it was $434.99 plus $9.50 for shipping. I had to pay $33.71 tax as well because I live in California and the seller was selling from California. So the total was $478.20. I received it within three days. It has been a great fork so far.

I have a Fox Float RLC 150mm on my Yeti SB66 and I think the Reba is every bit as good. If you find the same deal I got, you would have $500+ to buy some better wheels. I picked up some Stans FlowEX on ebay for $479 shipped a couple of months ago. Those would be way better than the Bontragers your bike came with. I am familiar with the Trek Marlin. My wife has a 2012 Trek Marlin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    the tower pro has 47mm offset which is a lot closer to that g2 figure than other forks. it can also be had for about $375 new right now at price point and most of us who have the fork rave about it. As others said, why spend $1000 to put a fork on your $700 bike. Put the high quality one for half that money and spend the rest upgrading other parts as they break

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I would pick up a fox g2 on ebay. They sell cheap there and if it did need rebuilt you have the funds. Rebuild is usually 100 and a fork replacement is 300 (that's worst case scenario.) Just make sure the steerer tube is long enough.

Here is one for 100 bucks 20 hours left and it's a g2... lockout doesn't work, but you can get this dirt cheap and even rebuilt for WAY under retail. there is a white and black model and they both don't lockout. I rarely use my lockout anyways Fox F29 RP24 29er Front Mountain Bike Shock Gary Fisher Trek G2 Bontrager No Res | eBay
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.