mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Fork input for a heavy rider

Hey Guys-

Just looking for some input on a new fork for my 2016 SIR 9. I'm currently running a niner rigid carbon fork. My weight is my concern, with gear I tip the scale at 235-240. I ride in the pacific northwest.

Will a Fox 32 Float SC Factory work for my weight? I looked on the owners manual and i'm one weight class away from maxium suggested psi for the fork.

Are there any other forks i should be looking at? Would going up to a 120mm fork for the purpose of my weight hinder the ride quality or the characteristics of the bike?

Looking to pull the trigger in the next couple days, have some time off and want to hit the mountains with a new fork.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    TBH your over thinking it. 120mm first off wont make a big difference in handling, you may actually prefer it.

As for the weight thing, I wouldnt worry about it, wish thats what I weighed lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Iím at 225 with gear. I ride a fox 32 float sc factory every day. Pretty nice fork

Elitest thrill junkie
    At those weights, I wouldn't run the SC. I have one and I've had a regular 32 recently. I think the SC is stiff enough for XC racing on an otherwise stiff setup (like with carbon wheels, etc.), but if I push it hard it's clear that it's not in the same league as the regular 32. I'm 170 and racing hard. The fork has been good, but at your weight it's a bad idea IMO. Go with a 34, that should be a no-brainer for the chassis rigidity that you need at your weight. Otherwise, pushing the fork into corners and in other situations, you're going to get binding that affects the performance, in addition to the flex.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Turns right to go left
    For your size, you really need the extra stiffness of a fork with 34mm or larger stanchions. Look at the Fox 34, Manitou Mattoc, RS Pike etc.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    For your size, you really need the extra stiffness of a fork with 34mm or larger stanchions. Look at the Fox 34, Manitou Mattoc, RS Pike etc.
    This. I'm your size and every 32mm stanchion fork I've owned has been noodley.

mtbr member
    Take a look at the X-Fusion Trace. It's a 34mm fork and the travel is easily adjusted from 80-140mm. I have the X-Fusion Slide and am very happy with it. I am at about 250# kitted up.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same weight class. I have a Diamond on my Following and a Yari on my Primal+.
    The Yari is about as stiff as you can get, slightly stiffer then my Diamond. If you're looking for a stiff budget fork the Yari would be a good choice. If you're looking for something that's a little more tunable step up to a Lyrik or a Pike. I personally like the Yari on my hard tail, does exactly what I need. I think for a hard tail the fork doesn't need to be as tunable because there's no rear shock to try to match it to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, I canceled my order on the Fox 32. I'll be going the 34mm route. I'll wait for the Pike to go on sale then pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Fork input for a heavy rider

Another vote for the 34. I weigh 205 and run a 32 on my XC bikes, but recently purchased a bike with the Fox 34 130. WAY stiffer and more confidence up front. I'll take the 8 ounce weight penalty all day long. It crushes rocky stuff and having more travel has been nice too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fork input for a heavy rider-20170730_180736583_ios.jpg  

mtbr member
    Have ridden a 140mm Sektor on a 650b mule in the past & a 130mm Sektor on a FS 29er.

All whilst being North of your weight o_0

Never had a problem w/ either fork.

PS - I do now run a 140mm X-Fusion Trace on an AM HT & a 160mm Yari on a 650b Enduro rig.

Different bikes than had Sektors o/c, so hard to do apples to apples.

If you can afford it & really want one, get a newer/better fork =)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How about the 2018 Pike? It uses 35mm stanchions IIRC and they dropped 150g this year. Should be right around the weight of a Fox 34.

Cyclopath 1000
    Feb 2009
    The Stan's rim is diffusely leaking at the bed but the haven is leaking only at one discrete spot on one side of the rim. That kind d of leak is usually cured on lower psi tires with sealant. But perhaps the old cheapie sealant is in the way there. I am lying wheel on the leak side hoping for the seal and to bathe the inside and work. Again the haven is a welded shut rim like the old mavic cross max rims and I expected it to out perform a rim wealed with tape and it does.

Cyclopath 1000
    Feb 2009
    Bead