human dehumidifier

Fork arch clearance wtih Ardent 2.4

Well I've convinced myself a 15mm axle is a worthy upgrade, so I'm looking for a fork.

Currently I've got an Ardent 2.4 on an Arch rim. That fits with loads of room in my Manitou, but it buzzes in my Reba.

The Reba has the offset leg problem, so that's part of the issue, but honestly there's not enough clearance around the tire to make me feel warm and fuzzy if it wasn't.

Right now I've narrowed my choices down to another Manitou, or a Fox 32. Can anyone comment on the clearance around a 2.4 Ardent in a Fox fork, or any other 15mm options?

Thanks
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ran the Fox-32 on my 29'r with the Ardent 2.4 front with no problems, no buzzing, etc, I don't recall it being scary close.

mtbr member
    I have an i23 rim/2.4 Ardent, and ran it fine on both '12 Reba 20mm and '13 SID 15mm forks. Is your Reba 9mm QR?

human dehumidifier
    Yes the Reba is a 9mm and is an older model, around 2009 IIRC. Wheels are Stan's factory build, Arch on ZTR hubs
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Just measured my 2.4 Ardent on a 31mm wide rim in a 2012 Revelation and have 12mm of vertical clearance between the tallest knobs and the bottom of the fork arch. Have 6-7mm on either side at the widest part of the tire.

The new ones come in 15QR if you're considering Rockshox this time around.

human dehumidifier
    Thanks for the Revelation info. If I'm reading the Rock Shox site correctly, that fork only comes in a 140.

I've been leaning toward the Fox because I know 100 works OK on my N9, but want to try 120. The ability to change the travel will bail me out if it ends up acting like a chopper on the hills here. I don't think it will, but I always like to have a contingency plan.

I wish X-fusion was available with a 15QR because it's reasonably priced and travel adjustable, but none of the places I've found them for sale have those in stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Thanks for the Revelation info. If I'm reading the Rock Shox site correctly, that fork only comes in a 140..
    If you can still find the 2012 Revelation model (dual air) you can easily travel the fork down to 100 mm, in steps of 10 or 20 mm using the available internal spacers. The 2012 model however came with a 20 mm axle. You could even easily convert the Revelation to a coil fork using the 140 mm U-turn coil from the 26" Sektor. With this you can play with the suspension between 100 and 140 mm, and have the advantage of a coil suspension, weight penalty is just about 200 grams.

mtbr member
    The 2013 Rockshox stuff is really complicated to lower so you're probably right to look elsewhere. The new solo air stuff requires new springrods to lower rather than just using spacers. Not sure if the 26" springs will convert properly since the stanchions and lowers are taller on a 29er but might be worth doing some more research.

The X-Fusion Trace will be nice when it comes out and is easily lowered using a pin and ladder system. Definitely comes in 15QR.

human dehumidifier
    Well if my luck holds what will happen is the X-fusion forks will be available at half the price and twice the features, 5 minutes after I order something else.

mtbr member
    I've got 14mm between the top of schwalbe 2.25 NN, and the arch on a 2013 SID 120mm.

It has to be the age of the fork that is your problem. 4 years ago a 2.25 was a seriously fat tyre for xc, now it's the average, maybe even on the skinny side of average, so the forks now have more room.

For QR rockshox forks 29ers, merlin are the cheapest, there is not much stock around of the 2012,s though

human dehumidifier
    Yeah maybe they've changed the design since then. My Manitou is a year older than the Reba and it's got a ton of room in it.

mtbr member
    I wish X-fusion was available with a 15QR because it's reasonably priced and travel adjustable, but none of the places I've found them for sale have those in stock.
    They are available. I got one form Universal Cycles a few months ago.
    Universal Cycles -- X-Fusion Slide RL2 29er Air Fork 2013
    They are internally adjustable to 100 or 80. With the UC 15% off code and free shipping they are a good deal. I have one on my Nimble 9 with the Arch Ardent 2.4 combo, and there is plenty of clearance.

human dehumidifier
    I would've sworn I looked and they had no X-fusion forks in stock with 15QR, but sure enough, there they are. Thanks for getting me to look again. How do you like the way it performs, since it doesn't have adjustable compression?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was going to recommend looking at CRC for the 2012 Rev RCT3 for $550, but it is tapered only, 120-140 internally adjustable. I realized this is most likely for your N9 and it doesn't have a compatible head tube. Sorry I didn't help ya.

mtbr member
    I would've sworn I looked and they had no X-fusion forks in stock with 15QR, but sure enough, there they are. Thanks for getting me to look again. How do you like the way it performs, since it doesn't have adjustable compression?
    You're welcome. So far I like the fork, but I don't have a ton of time on it. I ride that bike on trails that a little farther away from home, and I have not had the time to get to them recently. My initial impression was that it felt a bit stiff at their recommended air PSI. I am going to drop it a bit for my next ride. The lockout feel really solid which is big for me since it's a single speed. The QR15 is straight forward, simple, solid etc. I am also happy with X-Fusion as a company. They are still fairly small, and they are going through some growing pains. They stand behind their products, and the quickly answer questions via email.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I was going to recommend looking at CRC for the 2012 Rev RCT3 for $550, but it is tapered only, 120-140 internally adjustable. I realized this is most likely for your N9 and it doesn't have a compatible head tube. Sorry I didn't help ya.
    Yeah that's the catch. It has to be non-tapered and options are getting scarce. Jenson has take-off Fox F29s cheap but they're tapered.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    You're welcome. So far I like the fork, but I don't have a ton of time on it. I ride that bike on trails that a little farther away from home, and I have not had the time to get to them recently. My initial impression was that it felt a bit stiff at their recommended air PSI. I am going to drop it a bit for my next ride. The lockout feel really solid which is big for me since it's a single speed. The QR15 is straight forward, simple, solid etc. I am also happy with X-Fusion as a company. They are still fairly small, and they are going through some growing pains. They stand behind their products, and the quickly answer questions via email.
    That stinks to have to travel to ride dirt. I live in a suburb near the city so I've got all the modern comforts but we've also got trails all around here; I can be on singletrack within 2-3 miles.

I'll definitely put the X-fusion on my list now that I know they're available. Hopefully I can find out more on the compression damping situation.

Warrior's Society
    Been running a 2.4 Ardent tubeless on a Velocity Blunt in my '09 Reba Team without any trouble.

Good amount of clearance for a tire that size.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    That stinks to have to travel to ride dirt. I live in a suburb near the city so I've got all the modern comforts but we've also got trails all around here; I can be on singletrack within 2-3 miles.
    There are local trails close to home. I probably have 100 miles of trail within 20-25 minutes. The really rocky chunky stuff I like to ride my Nimble 9 in is a little bit of a drive. On my other bike I have a 100mm Marzocchi Corsa SL LR from Blue Sky. It was under $300 shipped, and they can be adjusted to 120mm. That's another option for you too.

human dehumidifier
    I finally decided, based on past experience with my 100mm Minute 29 and all the reviews of the Tower Pro, I ordered a Tower at 100mm. I talked myself out of 120mm because the Manitou A-C is 10mm longer than the Fox that Canfield based the N9 geometry on. They spec a 1* change from 100mm to 120mm, so I'm already 1/2* steeper than the 100mm spec.

FWIW I looked at Marzocchis because a semi-local here has one on a Yelli, but that's a tapered steerer and I couldn't find a Marz with non-tapered but admit I didn't search real hard. Universal, Jenson, and Price Point show them as tapered. Bikeman lists a couple models as "Size: Straight" but they also show a picture of a rigid BMX fork for it so who knows. It was 2x the price of the Manitou anyway.

Thanks everybody for your advice