Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fork for 29er; Down to 4 choices (final post)

Judging from the replies to my previous post, I have narrowed my decisions down to 4 forks: RockShox SID RL, Reba RL/RLT, Recon TK, and Manitou Tower Pro. I would like to know what fork will get the most positive comments. Also, I still have a couple of questions: What is the difference between the Reba RL and RLT? And is the SID, besides weight, much better than the Reba? Finally, which is the plushest ride of all these?
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    RL vs RLT difference is the RLT has an adjustable threshold setting and the RL has a nonadjustable factory setting. Otherwise pretty much the same. I upvote the Reba RL because it's the only one I know and I like it.

Andrew
    I looooove my RockShox Recon Gold TK's. Got em for $270 new on eBay and definitely the best purchase I've made thus far. If paying full price though, I'd go with the Reba's.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

banned
    I vote for Tower Pro - last month sold my SID and put the Tower on. No looking back, great fork. Do not miss the SID at all.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    I vote for Tower Pro - last month sold my SID and put the Tower on. No looking back, great fork. Do not miss the SID at all.
    +1 For the Tower and damn near half the cost of the SID

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tower Pro allllll the way. great price, great ride, very adjustable etc. manitou customer service is second to none as well.

J-

mtbr member
    The Tower Pro seems to be getting great reviews as the best value at or around its price point right now. I have no experience with it but the masses seem be agreeing. I was going to put my hat in for the Reba RL cause I have rode with one and liked it. I doubt you would be disappointed with either of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am diggin' the Recon Golds's after 5 rides on them, the price at $270, and the fact that I kept my 9mm qrl (cost again).

I weigh 220 and ride aggressive hill climbs then rush the downhills back. These soak-up the big hits and give a subtle nice ride.

I got to see about getting 120mm out of them after reading the other post here.................
    Last edited by cswat13; 08-14-2012 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just sold a bike with a Manitou Minute 29, the same as the Tower Pro. Nicest 29er fork I have ever used.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Claiming to have got a Reba for $270 requires a story of some kind. I got my for $400 on sale which was pretty cheap when I looked around at the time.

I'm pretty sure that the 2012 Rebas don't go to 120, just 100 (or 80).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mhix01 View Post
    Claiming to have got a Reba for $270 requires a story of some kind. I got my for $400 on sale which was pretty cheap when I looked around at the time.

I'm pretty sure that the 2012 Rebas don't go to 120, just 100 (or 80).
    Well I didn't specify, they are 2011's came from Taiwan through Amazon.

I just found and downloaded a Recon Gold 2011 manual that shows 80, 100, 120mm of travel. However I am wondering if the 29er allows for 120mm. Guess I will have to open them up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A Recon Gold is not a Reba - but, I'm pretty sure 2011 Rebas can go to 120. they changed something about the 2012s and supposedly they can't go to 120. I'm no Reba expert though, just going by what I read during my fork research stage. I'm finding 100mm is working fine for me.
    Last edited by mhix01; 08-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    A Recon Gold is not a Reba - but, I'm pretty sure 2011s can go to 120.
    i have my recon gold tk set at 120 and its pretty amazing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Jeez! Sorry I can't get my Recons strait in my mind for Reba, and I want Raidons, again sorry. I have Recon Golds for 2011, like them and it looks as though I can get 120mm out of them.
    Last edited by cswat13; 08-14-2012 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My 11 Reba 29er fork had a travel spacer in it, and I was able to remove it and go 120mm.
    I have heard the 12 forks dont have this option.

Tom

mtbr member
    I've decided on the Manitou Tower Pro after continuous praise for it. One more question- Should I get 80, 100, or 120 mm of travel? I ride mainly XC trails with small (<1 foot) drop offs and a fair amount of rocks and roots. Also, will this fork fit a Cannondale 1.5" steering tube?(with adapters of course). I looked at the specs and saw it is a 1 1/8" steerer.
    Edit: Looking at Manitou's site, I saw they also had a Tower Expert. Does anybody know anything about these?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    Edit: Looking at Manitou's site, I saw they also had a Tower Expert. Does anybody know anything about these?
    Yes, I have one. It's 1/2 lb heavier than the Pro if you get one with the aluminum steerer. Like the Pro it is air and spring, but the spring does most of the work. The Pro is completely opposite in this regard. I weigh 180 and run no air at all with the travel set at 100 mm. I've tried it with air too and 10 psi is all you need. Both models use the same damper unit.
    The Expert is an awesome fork. I'm guessing that the Pro is a bit nicer still.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I chose the Expert (ACT Air) over the Pro for the simple fact the primary spring is coil. I rode a Manitou Minute w/ the Mar's Air and it felt too linear but I didn't have the correct booster spring for my weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Yes, I have one. It's 1/2 lb heavier than the Pro if you get one with the aluminum steerer. Like the Pro it is air and spring, but the spring does most of the work. The Pro is completely opposite in this regard. I weigh 180 and run no air at all with the travel set at 100 mm. I've tried it with air too and 10 psi is all you need. Both models use the same damper unit.
    The Expert is an awesome fork. I'm guessing that the Pro is a bit nicer still.

Drew
    Thanks. I've decided that I want to get the Pro because of the majority of the work being done by the air part of the fork. And because it's lighter

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Should I get 80, 100, or 120 mm of travel? I

That depends. What travel does your current fork have? Frames are designed for a particular length fork, travel changes can change that length. I went from 80 on the stock fork to 100 on the Reba and felt no change as far as geometry is concerned. I can't really speak to the benefits of the extra 20mm of travel since the two forks are so different.

mtbr member
    Should I get 80, 100, or 120 mm of travel? I

That depends. What travel does your current fork have? Frames are designed for a particular length fork, travel changes can change that length. I went from 80 on the stock fork to 100 on the Reba and felt no change as far as geometry is concerned. I can't really speak to the benefits of the extra 20mm of travel since the two forks are so different.
    My original fork had 80 mm of travel. I think I might want an extra 20 mm. Will this completely mess up the geometry of the bike?

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    that 20 mm of travel won't have an effect on the geometry. What changes your geo is the axle to crown length. If that stays the same, then your geo will also. If that increase in travel brings an increase in axle-crown length, then you geo will be changed very slightly. Usually by only about .5 degrees of Head tube angle.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Adding 20 mm of travel changes the AC length by exactly 20 mm. It will slow your steering down a bit when you go from 80 mm to 100mm. One way aroung this is to run lots of sag which causes the fork to ride further into the travel. I switched from a suspension corrected rigid fork (AC is equivalent to an 80 mm travel fork) to 100 mm travel on my Manitou and definitely noticed it even running lots of sag.

However don't even worry about 100 or 80 for now. The fork will come from the factory set up at 100 mm, but it is super easy to switch it to 80 mm. Assuming your fork is washed clean and dry, changing the spacer takes about 5 minutes.

Personally, I like the extra 20 mm so much that I'm not even going to try 80 mm.

You won't regret going with the Manitou!
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Adding 20 mm of travel changes the AC length by exactly 20 mm. It will slow your steering down a bit when you go from 80 mm to 100mm. One way aroung this is to run lots of sag which causes the fork to ride further into the travel. I switched from a suspension corrected rigid fork (AC is equivalent to an 80 mm travel fork) to 100 mm travel on my Manitou and definitely noticed it even running lots of sag.

However don't even worry about 100 or 80 for now. The fork will come from the factory set up at 100 mm, but it is super easy to switch it to 80 mm. Assuming your fork is washed clean and dry, changing the spacer takes about 5 minutes.

Personally, I like the extra 20 mm so much that I'm not even going to try 80 mm.

You won't regret going with the Manitou!
    Ok, so if I removed some spacers from the headset, would that correct the problem? And ultimately, do I really want 100 mm of travel for what I'm doing? (XC and some rocks and roots)

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No, mucking around with spacers won't help. The actual head angle you have when riding along on flat ground in a neutral body position is determined by the amount of sag you are running on a particular length fork AND the stack height of the lower headset bearing, race, and cup.

If a designer specified an AC of 500 mm running 15 mm of sag and you put a 540 mm AC length fork running 20 mm of sag, your effective AC length is 520, while the designer wanted 485. That 35 mm of difference will be definitely felt.

As for the lower part of the head set goes, I suspect you might be able to lose 5mm, probably no more.

Like I said, I think you will like 100 mm, I do. And even if you don't switching the manitou to 80 mm is very easy
    occasional cyclist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast