Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Flat tubeless tires. Whats next?

I got a flat on my tubeless tires today and I cannot get them to reseal. So what do I do next. I'm assuming I'm going to have to buy a new tire but is it as easy as putting the tire on and re inflating or like I think is it a little more difficult.

turtles make me hot
    Why'd it flat? When was the last time you added sealant?

When I mount new tires, if I have time, I mount them up with a tube and let them stretch out a little and then make them tubeless. So easy, I do it with a floor pump.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There flat because I got a rather large whole in the tire. I ripped it open on something just not sure what. I bought this bike about a month ago and the rocky terrain where I ride tends to destroy tires. This was my first tubeless setup so I had high expectations that it would be better which it was as I got no more pinch flats but I ripped through the tire. I have tubes so I can put them in but want to keep the bike tubeless

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    These videos are how I learned to install tubeless tires. The critical factor for me was to get the beads of the tire wet with soapy water. Without that I could not get the tires to seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT1JToqWmsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J06pe7LwaQ

have you tried patching the rather large hole? Then setting up the tubeless?
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    have you tried patching the rather large hole? Then setting up the tubeless?

Huh?

OP needs a new tire.

SPP
    Rigid.

Yeah... tubeless isn't going to stop large holes. Depending on the size though you may be able to patch it... or yeah, get a new tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    some people have had success with using dental floss or other thin but tough material to sew a tear closed using a baseball stitch. Then use a tire boot over it.

I have never tried it.

Dirty South Underdog
    You can usually patch them depending on the location and size of the hole.
    1. Remove the tire and clean off all old sealant, dirt, etc. from the hole and area around the hole
    2. Let it dry. It needs to be super dry. If it's not, your patch is going to fail. You can use a hairdryer or torch if you're impatient, but this is probably the most important step.
    2. Scuff, vulcanize, and stick a rubber patch onto the inside of the tire per patch kit manufacturer instructions.
    3. Clamp the patch area with vice grips and something larger & flat- like an old set of brake pads. Let it sit that way for a few hours or overnight.
    4. Put that b1tch back on your wheel and ride. Don't do it the night before a race, because if the patch fails, it'll suck more than usual. As long as you get through a couple of good rides on the patched tire, you can probably bank on it being OK for the remaining life of the tire.

I'm gonna make this a topic on JRA tonight if any of you listen to Mountain Bike Radio.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    You can usually patch them depending on the location and size of the hole.
    1. Remove the tire and clean off all old sealant, dirt, etc. from the hole and area around the hole
    2. Let it dry. It needs to be super dry. If it's not, your patch is going to fail. You can use a hairdryer or torch if you're impatient, but this is probably the most important step.
    2. Scuff, vulcanize, and stick a rubber patch onto the inside of the tire per patch kit manufacturer instructions.
    3. Clamp the patch area with vice grips and something larger & flat- like an old set of brake pads. Let it sit that way for a few hours or overnight.
    4. Put that b1tch back on your wheel and ride. Don't do it the night before a race, because if the patch fails, it'll suck more than usual. As long as you get through a couple of good rides on the patched tire, you can probably bank on it being OK for the remaining life of the tire.

I'm gonna make this a topic on JRA tonight if any of you listen to Mountain Bike Radio.
    I shall try this and see what happens. Thank you for the advice and I'll report back if it works

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It can't hurt to try and patch it, but if the hole has cut through too much of the casing cords, it's done. Sounds like you need a sturdier tire. Something like Specialized control casing or Schwalbe snake skin, continental protection, Maxxis EXO. Most tire manufacturers make something. Real XC race tires tend to be way too thin and fragile for rocky terrain.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    tyre patch stitched to the inside...not pretty but works. the sealant eventually seals the needle holes. By the time I start doing this the tyre is normally pretty worn out but it may be good for a new tyre to keep it going for a bit.
    Flat tubeless tires.  Whats next?-tyrepatch_zpsbb6b23d5.jpg

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    I shall try this and see what happens. Thank you for the advice and I'll report back if it works
    What rim and tire are you running?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    It's my old VXC....running ghetto here with Crossmark. It's seen some hard times and I am just about to rebuild front and rear with Arches. Just waiting on delivery.

Oops just saw you were refering to another post...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Bontrager Duster 29er with Bontrager XR3 Expert tires. Just waiting until I feel like I wore the tires out enough until I can justify to myself buying some Maxxis Ardents or Highrollers. I think the patch is working well now. I'm just struggling to get the tire to set without an air compressor

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Bontrager Duster 29er with Bontrager XR3 Expert tires. Just waiting until I feel like I wore the tires out enough until I can justify to myself buying some Maxxis Ardents or Highrollers. I think the patch is working well now. I'm just struggling to get the tire to set without an air compressor
    Do you have the Bonty TLR rim strips and valves installed? Using the TLR version of the tire? Once the hole is repaired it will easily inflate and seat with a floor pump.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah I have them installed. I went to the LBS and got a quick shot from an air compressor and all good. Thank you everybody for the help

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There flat because I got a rather large whole in the tire. I ripped it open on something just not sure what. I bought this bike about a month ago and the rocky terrain where I ride tends to destroy tires. This was my first tubeless setup so I had high expectations that it would be better which it was as I got no more pinch flats but I ripped through the tire. I have tubes so I can put them in but want to keep the bike tubeless

Buy tubeless tires from Maxxis, make sure its has EXO, these tires are very reliable and durable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    Buy tubeless tires from Maxxis, make sure its has EXO, these tires are very reliable and durable.
    Agree. Arch EX rims and Maxxis tires solved my tubeless flats problems!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    Agree. Arch EX rims and Maxxis tires solved my tubeless flats problems!
    What is the widest tire you can fit on arch ex?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    What is the widest tire you can fit on arch ex?
    Not sure, but I have a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 on the front and a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 on the rear. They're doing great. All conditions. Tough sidewalls. My Rocket Ron's would roll off the rims in a hard turn. Not these!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    tyre patch stitched to the inside...not pretty but works. the sealant eventually seals the needle holes. By the time I start doing this the tyre is normally pretty worn out but it may be good for a new tyre to keep it going for a bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyrepatch_zpsbb6b23d5.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	830848
    Wow, maybe I'm dumping my tires too soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyrepatch_zpsbb6b23d5.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	830848
    Holy crap, I'm amazed you did get that to seal. I've been a loud proponent of tubeless for many years but I personally wouldn't have even attempted that one. You sir have the skills and determination of a saint. And lol where the f*** are the knobs, is that a tire or a tube? I would've slid out the first ten pedal strokes and slammed into a tree on that tire.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Holy crap, I'm amazed you did get that to seal. I've been a loud proponent of tubeless for many years but I personally wouldn't have even attempted that one. You sir have the skills and determination of a saint. And lol where the f*** are the knobs, is that a tire or a tube? I would've slid out the first ten pedal strokes and slammed into a tree on that tire.
    lol your post made me laugh, probably because you are right on all counts...funnily I have another tyre like this but with about 5 of these repairs I took off because I think the tyre gets old and worn and slices really easily and I got tired of fixing it. Yeah, it's a bit sketchy but just for a rear I get by...will be replacing it soon though! Just secretly want to see how far I can push my gear

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    some people have had success with using dental floss or other thin but tough material to sew a tear closed using a baseball stitch. Then use a tire boot over it.

I have never tried it.
    I could see this in a pinch, but it's not a good solution beyond that one ride.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast