• 12-08-2012
    fc
    First look at the $1200 Specialized Carbon 29er Wheels.
  • 12-09-2012
    Dan GSR
    really interested to hear how well these hold the bead
  • 12-09-2012
    Fix the Spade
    So Spesh have just gone and exploded the carbon wheel market, assuming they actually grip the tyres that is.

    If these make it to the UK at a sub £1000 price I'm having a set (direct conversion comes to £750-ish). Of course they won't, the way Spesh UK carries on I'll be surprised if they come in under £1200, but live in hope!
  • 12-09-2012
    jochribs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    really interested to hear how well these hold the bead

    Yes, and at lower than the stated minimum pressure of 25psi...
  • 12-09-2012
    twowheelfunman
    I might have the opportunity to buy a set of these as take offs. If they come on a bike will they have a 142+ hub that is defferent from these? Any way I could use them on a non 142+ bike?

    Thanks,
  • 12-09-2012
    bobgfish
    Official UK price is 900 pounds. I do not think they fit a normal 142 as they are 2mm further outboard than normal. (I guess some frames will work) But they are the same width. Not sure if you can swap endcaps as with a complete bike you get none.

    I have a set on my epic and rode them first time today. Tubeless with Specalized fasttrak tyres. All good so far and would like to try tubeless with some Maxxis Ikons but waiting till more people have used them with tubeless with different tyres.

    Time will tell how good they are.
  • 12-09-2012
    AOK
    My understanding is that the 142+ wheels will only fit 142+ Specialized frames.

    You have to get the 135mm model for use on non-Specialized bikes. (The 135 model can easily be converted to 142x12 by swapping end caps.)
  • 12-09-2012
    Fix the Spade
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    My understanding is that the 142+ wheels will only fit 142+ Specialized frames.

    IIRC 142+ uses a standard DT Swiss 142mm axle, so they will fit any frame with a 142mm through axle back end.

    The Plus part refers to the chain line, the hub body is slightly (3mm I think) wider so the chain line is 3mm to the right and the wheel has slightly less dish.
  • 12-09-2012
    Fix the Spade
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobgfish View Post
    Time will tell how good they are.

    Does the bead have any kind of hook to it or is it as flat as it looks in the photos?
  • 12-09-2012
    eurospek
    Interested in your ride reports. Price looks good, what kind of warranty on the rim itself?
  • 12-10-2012
    92gli
    Really really compelling deal considering the weight and the 240-ish rear hub. If tires stay seated these will be a huge hit.
  • 12-10-2012
    jochribs
    I know, exactly. Itching to hear how these do...
  • 12-10-2012
    davidcarson48
    Lifetime warranty against manufacture defects on the rims. Currently sold out at spesh.com anyways.
  • 12-10-2012
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Does the bead have any kind of hook to it or is it as flat as it looks in the photos?

    It is flat as can be!

    It's mounted and I'll ride it today at 20 psi.

    fc
  • 12-10-2012
    jochribs
    awesome
  • 12-10-2012
    joe_bloe
    Do these rims have a weight limit? Are they lightweight race-only wheels?
  • 12-10-2012
    92gli
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Do these rims have a weight limit? Are they lightweight race-only wheels?

    I think they're xc/trail/light all mountain wheels. 240 pound limit
  • 12-10-2012
    92gli
    So no pop at all when the tire seated ? The audio on the video cut off right when you started pumping.
  • 12-10-2012
    Appendage
    Hopefully a game-changer
    The $2k+ brands can't be thrilled about this. Hopefully they'll have to bring their prices down to earth.
  • 12-10-2012
    jochribs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    So no pop at all when the tire seated ? The audio on the video cut off right when you started pumping.

    Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer. I'm gonna 'guess' that there would be a pop. I would think that has more to do with the tire snapping into place evenly than it does with there being a hook, but what do I know?

    I was figuring the sound went out to mute the explatives! LOL!:D
  • 12-10-2012
    neilgehrke
    Nice!...want.:thumbsup:
  • 12-10-2012
    Fix the Spade
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It is flat as can be!

    It's mounted and I'll ride it today at 20 psi.

    fc

    That is sincerely frightening!

    How do they stop the bead pulling off when you get a good side load on it? I've seen people rip tyres right off the rim with a good sideways landing, not having any kind of bead hook seems counter-intuitive to me.
  • 12-10-2012
    jochribs
    I'm really hoping that he has good news and then decides to go even lower with the pressure with good results again... Love a set of these if so.
  • 12-10-2012
    krispy@go-ride.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    That is sincerely frightening!

    How do they stop the bead pulling off when you get a good side load on it? I've seen people rip tires right off the rim with a good sideways landing, not having any kind of bead hook seems counter-intuitive to me.

    When No Tubes launched the Crest (followed by the Arch EX and the Flow EX) I was shocked by the tiny bead hook. The seat area (the corner that the tire sits in) is raised up so much that it SNAPS on super tight. I ran EX rims all summer at the enduro/ SD races with low pressure and hard cornering (for me at least) and had no issues. I pinched through 4 tires, EXO and Snake skin casings without damaging the hook. My guess is Spec took this shape to the next level.

    As mentioned in the vid, motorsports don't use a hook to hold the tires on. Obviously MX uses a bed lock. not sure about others.
  • 12-10-2012
    Dan GSR
    has a lot to do with tire pressure
    mx needs a bead lock because they run low pressures
  • 12-10-2012
    twowheelfunman
    All a MX bead lock does is keep the wheel from spinning inside the tire in case of a flat. MX tires have a crazy stiff sidewalls requiring looong metal irons to change. Those beads aren't popping off although the inside of a MX rim is pretty rough texture.
  • 12-10-2012
    fc
    I've ridden the wheels twice already and the feel stiffer than the old carbon rovals. Also I did the shiggy c-clamp test to try and break the seal.

    2013 Specialized Control 29 Carbon Wheels for $1200 | Mountain Bike Review
  • 12-11-2012
    jochribs
    This is awesome Francois! Any plan to try running them at lower pressure too?
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    This is awesome Francois! Any plan to try running them at lower pressure too?

    Yes, I normally run at 22 psi. I'll run these as low as 18-19 psi in the next few weeks. Under that, they just get 'wallowy'.

    I find that burping tires occurs if you use a tire that is loose on the rim. One really needs a tire that is a tight fit on the rim where it is almost difficult to mount the tires without tire levers or using proper technique (centering the tire on the middle groove of the rim).

    fc
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer. I'm gonna 'guess' that there would be a pop. I would think that has more to do with the tire snapping into place evenly than it does with there being a hook, but what do I know?

    I was figuring the sound went out to mute the explatives! LOL!:D

    Yes, sorry about the audio. Remote senheiser mike failed!!

    And yes, it popped and snapped, just like normal. What surprised me is that this tire inflated with a floor pump. I didn't push the tire out to the sides and all that jibberish. I had a massive compressor ready but I just tried that floor pump for the heck of it. I guess it's all about fit.

    fc
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    That is sincerely frightening!

    How do they stop the bead pulling off when you get a good side load on it? I've seen people rip tyres right off the rim with a good sideways landing, not having any kind of bead hook seems counter-intuitive to me.

    I think it's really about tire fit. Someone once told me that tubeless tires really seal more at the bottom of the bead and not at the sides.

    Here's a photo of the tire at max c-clamp force. I rocked it side to side and still could not break the seal.

    fc
  • 12-11-2012
    Fix the Spade
    Okay, then that's really quite impressive.
  • 12-11-2012
    TwoTone
    For the price does the rear hub already come with the 36 POE ratchet?
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    For the price does the rear hub already come with the 36 POE ratchet?

    Yes, it does. I opened it up last night and took a look. Therse are the DT Swiss internals.

    <img src="http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/soc09-dt-swiss_21.jpg">

    Basically, these two plates are pressed together with a spring. Clockwise turn and they are engaged and counter-clockwise will allow it to ratchet. This is why the ratchet is so secure since it doesn't rely on tiny individual spring-loaded pawls to engage. These two plates lock together under pedaling and I can't see how it's going to slip or fail.

    fc
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Yes, and at lower than the stated minimum pressure of 25psi...

    Specialized does not state a minimum pressure of 25 psi (or any).

    I believe the reason is this is very dependent on rider weight, style, terrain and tire you use. Some will have a minimum of 20 and some at 30 psi. So they don't state a number. If you saw this 25 psi number somewhere, let us know.

    fc
  • 12-11-2012
    Dan GSR
    i'd be intersted how these do with schwalbe tires, those are my tire of choice
  • 12-11-2012
    etanc
    A step in the right direction in terms of carbon wheelset cost and it would be nice if the rims were available separately. Wonder if Specialized modified their tires in some way to work without the bead hook? Also, need to test with a heavier rider.
  • 12-11-2012
    NeonLeon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Interested in your ride reports. Price looks good, what kind of warranty on the rim itself?

    Limited lifetime! It's on the SBC website...
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    A note about availability:

    They are already available on the Stumpjumper HT and Epic Marathon Specialized Bicycle Components and they will be available aftermarket by Christmas in the USA… supply will be tight at first but by February there will be decent stock.
  • 12-11-2012
    TwoTone
    Trying to justify this to myself, stock wheelset is only 1724g. Yes I know these are stiffer, but is that stiffness and .35 lbs worth $1200
  • 12-11-2012
    ryanhugh
    Any chance you'll try them on a rigid setup? Love to hear some feedback from anyone thats ran this, or another carbon wheel on a rigid bike.
  • 12-11-2012
    Appendage
    Apples-to-apples weight comparison with Control SL?
    So, including or excluding rim strips, skewers, stems, etc...what exactly is the weight difference compared with Control SL?
  • 12-11-2012
    NoahColorado
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    A note about availability:

    They are already available on the Stumpjumper HT and Epic Marathon Specialized Bicycle Components and they will be available aftermarket by Christmas in the USA… supply will be tight at first but by February there will be decent stock.

    These have been at my local Specialized dealer for awhile, they had some in stock today. They've sold a half dozen sets or so. Pretty sweet deal IMO.
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    So, including or excluding rim strips, skewers, stems, etc...what exactly is the weight difference compared with Control SL?

    This wheelset is 50 grams heavier than the old one at 1530 grams.

    Specialized Roval Control Trail SL 29er Carbon Wheels | Mountain Bike Review

    fc
  • 12-11-2012
    fc
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    Any chance you'll try them on a rigid setup? Love to hear some feedback from anyone thats ran this, or another carbon wheel on a rigid bike.

    Why :)

    These will be fine. A little smoother on the vibrations and a little lower psi due to the wider internal rim width.

    fc
  • 12-11-2012
    tl1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It is flat as can be!

    It's mounted and I'll ride it today at 20 psi.

    fc

    Maybe that's why they are so affordable: Someone forgot to manufacture the rims with hooks for the beads, now they're selling it as a "feature". ;)
  • 12-11-2012
    Appendage
    Wow!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    This wheelset is 50 grams heavier than the old one at 1530 grams.
    fc

    Thank you, Francois. For $500 less, 50 grams more. Dang!
  • 12-12-2012
    tl1
    Thanks for taking the time to post this and the video. I's a really interesting product at that price point. They are still too much money for my purposes but it's super good to see the price of light weight, carbon rimmed, great hubbed, high quality well built wheels coming down so much.
  • 12-12-2012
    arevinotion
    Yes, and at lower than the stated minimum pressure of 25psi
  • 12-18-2012
    semmiho
    Looks really cool! I wish I would have the alloy rimmed Roval Control 29, no matter that 100g penalty for me. :) However the decals not as simple as on the carbon version (I like the design of the carbon version more) but it's 700 USD. :)

    I'm looking forward to a long-term review of the carbon version, looks really promising!
  • 12-18-2012
    jochribs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Specialized does not state a minimum pressure of 25 psi (or any).

    I believe the reason is this is very dependent on rider weight, style, terrain and tire you use. Some will have a minimum of 20 and some at 30 psi. So they don't state a number. If you saw this 25 psi number somewhere, let us know.

    fc

    Francois,

    I read that in an early product preview on another site. It seems to have been said by Roval wheel engineer Jeremy Thompson. I would paste the link, but don't know if that's a huge faux pas, especially considering the person I am corresponding in this reply:D:nono:
  • 12-18-2012
    20.100 FR
    What is the internal with of these ?

    edit : found 23mm on françois's article
  • 12-20-2012
    Andrewfuzzy
    I wonder what sort of beating these wheels re designed to take? Any ideas anyone?
  • 12-21-2012
    bobgfish
    They are XC wheels with a maximum rider weight...I wouldn't use them as a free ride wheel but suspect they will stand up to a couple of seasons of XC racing...
  • 12-21-2012
    Varaxis
    I approve of that c clamp test. :D
  • 12-22-2012
    Alpenglow
    How would these be for 100 mile endurance racing
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Why :)

    These will be fine. A little smoother on the vibrations and a little lower psi due to the wider internal rim width.

    fc

    I currently have a Santa Cruz Highball Carbon with Stans Crest/Hope 2s and I was thinking of building up a lighter set of Crest 240s with sapim xrays and dt 240s. Do you know how much weight the tubeless kit for the Rovals adds?

    Thanks!
  • 12-22-2012
    Enoch
    Affordable carbon wheels for the masses, :thumbsup:
  • 12-23-2012
    TiGeo
    I wish I would have splurged and got these over the regular Controls!!
  • 01-04-2013
    BluesDawg
    Specialized categorizes these wheels as XC rather than Trail. Are they too fragile for moderate trail riding?
  • 01-05-2013
    WR304
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Specialized does not state a minimum pressure of 25 psi (or any).

    I believe the reason is this is very dependent on rider weight, style, terrain and tire you use. Some will have a minimum of 20 and some at 30 psi. So they don't state a number. If you saw this 25 psi number somewhere, let us know.

    fc

    Here's the quote about the minimum tyre pressure for the Specialized Control Carbon 29 rims:

    The big news on the dirt is the introduction of the new Control Carbon 29. It brings the lightweight and stiffness of carbon rims down a price peg, to just $1,200. But price is just the beginning…they’re introducing an entirely new rim shape. Or, rather, a very old rim shape.

    Back in the day, rims were originally rolled steel and didn’t have bead hooks. With the advent of extruded alloy rims, they could easily put the hook on the rim as insurance against the wild variations in tire manufacturing. With tire tolerances more exact nowadays, Specialized found that they didn’t actually need the hook.

    Thompson says no one’s rolled a tire off yet, but they do have a 25psi recommended minimum for all of their carbon rims. The tire bead in compression (ie. when inflated) pops into place, and the Kevlar or carbon beads used in good quality modern tires won’t stretch at all, so it can’t expand to the point where it’ll slip off."
    BikeRumor.com

    2013 Specialized Wheels & Tires – Aero & Disc Road, Budget Carbon 29er MTB & More! - Bike Rumor

    The Specialized website states that there's a rider weight limit of 240lb (108kg) for the wheels but doesn't list any tyre pressure recommendations. With carbon rims there's usually a maximum tyre pressure rating also which would be useful to know.:)

    Specialized Bicycle Components

    .
  • 01-05-2013
    PainkillerSPE
    Max pressure is printed on the rims. Says do not inflate past 45 psi.

    Just received my set and the build quality is amazing compared to my chinese carbon rims.
  • 01-05-2013
    davidcarson48
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    Max pressure is printed on the rims. Says do not inflate past 45 psi.

    Just received my set and the build quality is amazing compared to my chinese carbon rims.

    Can you post up actual weight?
  • 01-05-2013
    PainkillerSPE
    I'm getting 1600-1610 grams with 142 axle conversion and 15mm front caps.

    With quick release caps 1670.

    Mine came with 20mm caps as well.

    I'm sure it will hit the target weight without caps.
  • 01-05-2013
    davidcarson48
    Thanks for the info. Post up some pics when you can!
  • 01-07-2013
    ShamusWave
    Thanx... got Epic and need toget some wheels now.
  • 01-07-2013
    dlennard
    Does anyone know if you can put the XX1 free hub on these?
  • 01-07-2013
    semmiho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    Does anyone know if you can put the XX1 free hub on these?

    According to Bikeradar.com, Control carbon rear hub is come from DT which has the same internals as DT 240s and DT 350 have. Thus, the hub should be compatible with DT Swiss' XX1 freehub.
    "Specialized has chimed in to say their Control Race, Control Trail and Traverse wheels are compatible with DT Swiss’ XX1 Driver Body since they use DT’s hub internals."

    Source: Manufacturer Round Up: Who’s Making SRAM XX1 Drivers & What Are the Design Challenges? - Bike Rumor
  • 01-07-2013
    kitess
    are the control trail sl carbon wheels available at all as per the 2013 stumjumper fsr s-works bikes have?
    cant see anything on web about them for 2013 also they dont have the red graphics in pictures ive seen of fsr.
  • 01-07-2013
    TwoTone
    These are the wheels this thread is about: Specialized Bicycle Components

    These are the ones on the FSR- they come in 2 color schemes Specialized Bicycle Components
    Two different wheelsets.
  • 01-07-2013
    kitess
    Silly question-
    Im running xtr wheels on my 26" wheeled bike
    Which are fine for my riding i do,ive never had problems with tham in last year and a half would these would be a Similar option for my 29er strength wise and weight.
  • 01-08-2013
    SweatyBiscuit
    Some things have been hinted at but to my knowledge not officially addressed.

    First - These Carbon Control wheels only come in the standard 12x142/135mm (adapters included) rear hub. The higher end SL models are available in 142+ and reg. 135/142mm flavors. 142+ setups are not compatible with standard 12x142 dropouts due to chain line differences.

    Second - The internals of the rear hub are from the DT 240/350 hubs (rear hub parts are interchangeable). So the DT Swiss XX1 cassette body is compatible.

    Third - Tire pressures are limited officially to 25-45 psi. Over inflating the tires could cause problems (pic of one guy inflating to over 100 psi).

    Fourth - The reason they didn't include the bead hook is because the rims are cheaper to produce without it. That's why (at least one of the reasons) they are less then the SL models (same hubs).

    I just received these wheels but due all the snow in northern Utah I haven't ridden them yet. Mine weighed in at 1610 grams with 12x142 rear axle and 15mm front though axle end caps installed with tubeless strips and valves. The rim strips are also removable/reusable (A first that I'm aware of).
  • 01-09-2013
    davidcarson48
    Thanks for posting that up, Sweaty.
  • 01-09-2013
    elrollo
    hmmmm...."limited lifetime warranty" it will be interesting to see how claims are handled...
  • 01-09-2013
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elrollo View Post
    hmmmm...."limited lifetime warranty" it will be interesting to see how claims are handled...

    Not the first set of Carbon wheels they've put out, so what's to wonder? Research how they've handle past claims and you have your answer.
  • 01-09-2013
    elrollo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Not the first set of Carbon wheels they've put out, so what's to wonder? Research how they've handle past claims and you have your answer.

    I hope it's better than they handle frame warranty claims...
  • 01-09-2013
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elrollo View Post
    I hope it's better than they handle frame warranty claims...

    Guess that depends on how you think they've handled them. I've read a lot more good stories vs. bad.
  • 01-09-2013
    SweatyBiscuit
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Guess that depends on how you think they've handled them. I've read a lot more good stories vs. bad.

    Agreed. In my experience Specialized is more than fair from a CS/ warrantee standpoint. This is one of the reasons I would choose Specialized (I don't currently own a specialized but have had many in the past).
  • 01-10-2013
    tootall
    These came with the new snap on tubeless strip, right? Not tape? I had to send my Control SL off to the service center and it came back with the snap on strip instead of tape. Wondering how this even works without actually sealing the rim, and how well. Is the strip wide enough that the tire bead sits on top of it and creates a seal between the strip and the tire, such that the rim itself doesn't need sealing? I went ahead and tried it with just the strip last night, and got it to air up but had leakage around the valve stem. Tightened it enough (by hand) that it seemed to quit leaking, we will see how the air pressure is when I get home today though. Just looking for long term experience from others, does the strip hold air well or should I go with tried and true Stan's tape?
  • 01-10-2013
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    These came with the new snap on tubeless strip, right? Not tape? I had to send my Control SL off to the service center and it came back with the snap on strip instead of tape. Wondering how this even works without actually sealing the rim, and how well. Is the strip wide enough that the tire bead sits on top of it and creates a seal between the strip and the tire, such that the rim itself doesn't need sealing? I went ahead and tried it with just the strip last night, and got it to air up but had leakage around the valve stem. Tightened it enough (by hand) that it seemed to quit leaking, we will see how the air pressure is when I get home today though. Just looking for long term experience from others, does the strip hold air well or should I go with tried and true Stan's tape?

    If you look through the cheap Chinese carbon rim thread, plenty of people are using the bonty strip with really good results. I can't imagine the ones you got would be much different.
  • 01-10-2013
    Varaxis
    Enough of the strip tease. More pictures of the good stuff please! Pictures of strip show would be appreciated too. ;)
  • 01-19-2013
    PainkillerSPE
    Well I finally had the time to throw some tires on these wheels. I set them up tubless with 2013 Rocket Rons Tubless EVO tires. I had a problem with the rim strip and valve stem on the front wheel. It would not seal up and leaked air from the valve stem area. I took the tire off and noticed that the rim strip was not aligned with the hole for the stem, so it was a quick fix.

    Other than that these were the easiest wheels I have ever set up tubeless. The tires seated at 40 PSI and so far are still holding air. I was surprised and impressed. Usually it takes me multiple attempts and removing the valve core to get a tire to inflate.
  • 01-21-2013
    tootall
    Mine have been holding air great with the new strip, once I got the valve stem sealed up. I think I like tape better for that reason, it's stuck down around the valve hole and not gonna move, so the valve stem can seal it better it seems.
  • 01-21-2013
    fahza29er
    To rich for my blood.
  • 02-13-2013
    kfb66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobgfish View Post
    They are XC wheels with a maximum rider weight...I wouldn't use them as a free ride wheel but suspect they will stand up to a couple of seasons of XC racing...

    Yea, a maximum rider weight of 240lbs!!

    I'd be willing to bet most riders will get a LOT more than a couple seasons out of these wheels. While I understand the no-hook bead is new to carbon wheels, I've seen nothing but very positive testing & feedback so far, and one of the stated advantages of no-hook bead is better impact durability due to a stronger carbon layup and added material vs bead hook models?
  • 02-13-2013
    kfb66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SweatyBiscuit View Post
    Some things have been hinted at but to my knowledge not officially addressed.

    Fourth - The reason they didn't include the bead hook is because the rims are cheaper to produce without it. That's why (at least one of the reasons) they are less then the SL models (same hubs).

    I spoke directly to a DT Swiss Rep yesterday and he was very helpful in describing the differences of the Roval carbon wheels.

    First off, it's ONLY the rear wheels that come with DT hub internals. The Control SL comes with 240 internals, while the Control model comes with 350 internals. The main difference between 240/350 internals are "slightly" better bearings in the 240, with a bit more internal machining to save weight without affecting strength. The Star Ratchet assembly is exactly the same! He also said for 2013 Specy will use all DT Revolution spokes (no more Aerolites), so for the rear wheel, the full weight difference is in the hub and rim.

    The front wheels of both models are apparently exactly the same hubs (not DT), so the ONLY difference is the rim itself.

    I'm still debating between the Control and Control SL models, but if the no-hook bead seals as well as they claim, AND it also adds strength for better impact resistance, it's hard to argue the bang-for-buck of the Control model? At msrp it really comes down to $500 for 130 grams weight savings with the SL ..... with everything else being very close to equal.
  • 02-13-2013
    jochribs
    Good info man.
  • 02-13-2013
    AZ
    Longer term report Francois?
  • 02-13-2013
    kfb66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Longer term report Francois?

    I would love to hear long-term feedback from Francois ... especially comparing the Control to the SL version he previously tested!
  • 02-13-2013
    ripn
    Can anyone verify the front hub is convertible to 20mm? I understand the QR and 15mm caps are included, and assume if they work with 20mm you'd have to buy them separately. Any source for these?
  • 02-13-2013
    bobgfish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I would love to hear long-term feedback from Francois ... especially comparing the Control to the SL version he previously tested!

    Mine have done nearly 1000km. No complaints. Still running the tyres the bike shipped with set up tubeless and have been perfect. Small leak on rear which is around the valve stem. I was thinking today that I've given them a right hammering over very rough hard conditions recently. The kind that shakes the fillings loose. I've also been ploughing into snow banks up to the height of the wheel when I've lost control and thinking thats proably not good for them. So far I think they are great and will take them in shortly and get them checked for roundness and straightness. Also going to swap to some Maxxis Ikons tubeless and see what happens soon.
  • 02-13-2013
    kfb66
    bobgfish,
    Great feedback, please keep us posted how they do at their checkup!
  • 02-13-2013
    kfb66
    I'm not 100% sure, but the way I understand it ... only the "Trail" models of the Roval carbon wheels can adapt to a 20mm axle/hub. For the Carbon Control and Carbon Control SL I believe they use a smaller hub body, so 20mm doesn't work. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can follow with a definite answer?
  • 02-13-2013
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but the way I understand it ... only the "Trail" models of the Roval carbon wheels can adapt to a 20mm axle/hub. For the Carbon Control and Carbon Control SL I believe they use a smaller hub body, so 20mm doesn't work. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can follow with a definite answer?

    Why not call or email Specialized and ask instead of depending on someone you don't know on an internet forum?
    If you order based on a post here, what are you going to do if they don't convert?
    Get an email from Specialized saying they'll work and they don't, then you have a case to get your money back.
  • 02-13-2013
    ripn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Why not call or email Specialized and ask instead of depending on someone you don't know on an internet forum?
    If you order based on a post here, what are you going to do if they don't convert?
    Get an email from Specialized saying they'll work and they don't, then you have a case to get your money back.

    Great idea. Did that two weeks ago and never heard back.
  • 02-13-2013
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Great idea. Did that two weeks ago and never heard back.

    Call them, I have several times and get a live person to answer me.
  • 02-13-2013
    AZ
    According to the Specialized web site the Trail SL is 20mm capable:

    "•Front Hub: carbon/alloy body, 15/20mm thru-axle, and 24/28mm QR end cap options included"
  • 02-13-2013
    ripn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Call them, I have several times and get a live person to answer me.

    I'll be damned. A real person answered the phone. No go on 20mm for the Controls. Have to step up to the Trail version to get compatibility.
  • 02-13-2013
    jochribs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I'll be damned. A real person answered the phone.

    It really catches you off guard the first time.
  • 02-13-2013
    fjtort2
    Must have LONGER TERM REPORT!
  • 02-13-2013
    bog
    I wonder I they got around Paul Lew's patent somehow or are licensing it. He was showing off Reynolds wheels with no bead hook a while ago.