Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Anyone compared these to the Haven Carbon 29ers ? Colorado Cyclist has them for $1300. They're slightly narrower, same weight but they don't need rim strips. I know the Haven's have had hub issues but do have a great warranty (2yrs no questions asked).

Is the 1580 weight folks are quoting including rim tape and valves ? I'm a little torn between the two sets. I'm sure the DT hubs are better but Easton is also better with their customer service. The slight extra width is a plus for the Rovals. The Easton's supposedly have a more durable carbon surface (less prone to dings).

Any thoughts on this comparison ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Roval Controls without bead-hook are supposed to have improved impact resistance compared to last year's Roval SL's ... so that may not be an advantage for Easton any more? My guess is the DT hub alone will be a worthwhile upgrade from Easton hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
    Anyone compared these to the Haven Carbon 29ers ? Colorado Cyclist has them for $1300. They're slightly narrower, same weight but they don't need rim strips. I know the Haven's have had hub issues but do have a great warranty (2yrs no questions asked).

Is the 1580 weight folks are quoting including rim tape and valves ? I'm a little torn between the two sets. I'm sure the DT hubs are better but Easton is also better with their customer service. The slight extra width is a plus for the Rovals. The Easton's supposedly have a more durable carbon surface (less prone to dings).

Any thoughts on this comparison ?

mtbr member
    There is this Easton free upgrade offer to consider, if applicable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The Rovals weight is with tape, stem and skewer. I just got set and like them very much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just took my first ride today on a brand new set of the Roval Control 29 Carbon wheels. I'm 5'7 150 lbs. and ride a '12 Epic Comp 29 that came stock with Roval aluminum wheels. My LBS said that the new wheels actually mounted easier than the SL's. I had them set them up tubeless with the stock tires (Fast Trak Control front/Renegade rear).

This is my first set of aftermarket wheels on any bike and so I really had no idea what to expect other than what I've read and heard others say. I've been riding about 2 1/2 years and I would say I'm an intermediate level rider. I don't necessarily claim to know all the lingo on how to even describe how the wheels perform but I will give a basic synopsis:

My first impression is that the bike pedals uphill much easier than it did before. It's just that simple. It feels like it takes less effort to turn the cranks over, or maybe I should put it another way- if I pedal with the same effort as I did with the stock wheels, it results in my covering more ground faster and feeling like I'm expending less energy. I noticed it everywhere except downhill, which I'm usually coasting except for short bursts of pedaling.

My second impression is that they make the ride smoother and actually even more quiet. To be fair, I must disclose that I also put a Niner carbon flat top bar on at the same time as the wheels, so part of the smoother feel may be coming through the bars but certainly not all of it. Overall, I'm very, very happy with the wheels and I can see that all the hype about lightweight wheels makes sense now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If anyone knows where to get a set of the Carbons with any price break, please send me a PM. I see a lot of the SL's for sale on eBay but they're 90% 142+.

Not that it's a big advantage but I believe the SL's are a hair wider (1mm) internally. I'm one who wished they made the Carbon's wider. I'd deal with a few more grames for a few more mm width.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My Havens have been trouble free for 1 year now. I do know they changed the lock nut a year ago so the bearing setting would't loosen, and now an upgrade to the hub. I'm satisfied but the Rovals look nice at $1200.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Any updates or additional ride reports on these? I have a pair ordered and should be in this week or next, gonna go on a steel HT build.

My gloves stink

Roval report

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Any updates or additional ride reports on these? I have a pair ordered and should be in this week or next, gonna go on a steel HT build.
    I've got a pair of the new Rovals that I've used about 6 times, including a 3-day enduro event, where they got a thorough thrashing. So far they are solid (Note: I weight about 155 lbs., so they should be solid). I wouldn't have noticed the lack of a bead hook if there hadn't been so much chatter about it- tires mount and ride the same as my hooked Stans and Bontrager TLR rims. Be careful of the 45 psi max pressure when seating the beads, however. The front axle adapters make switching between 15mm TA and 9mm QR easy, so I use the wheels on two different bikes. I think people feel whatever they want to feel, and the more money they invest on a lightweight wheelset, the more they're going to feel. Having said that, it does seem to me that these wheels spin up easier than my alloy wheelsets. It's early yet, but so far I'm happy with 'em.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    I've got a pair of the new Rovals that I've used about 6 times, including a 3-day enduro event, where they got a thorough thrashing. So far they are solid (Note: I weight about 155 lbs., so they should be solid). I wouldn't have noticed the lack of a bead hook if there hadn't been so much chatter about it- tires mount and ride the same as my hooked Stans and Bontrager TLR rims. Be careful of the 45 psi max pressure when seating the beads, however. The front axle adapters make switching between 15mm TA and 9mm QR easy, so I use the wheels on two different bikes. I think people feel whatever they want to feel, and the more money they invest on a lightweight wheelset, the more they're going to feel. Having said that, it does seem to me that these wheels spin up easier than my alloy wheelsets. It's early yet, but so far I'm happy with 'em.
    I have had the same experience as well. Just got them two weeks ago. I have ten or so solid rides on my set of carbon controls, all on very rocky and rooty classic New England single track. I'm 165 all geared up to ride and they feel very solid underneath me. Mounted 2.35 nobby nics easily both front and rear. Running tubeless with no issues.

Climbs = necessary evil
    I have about 350 miles on mine since late February and love them. I converted the rear of the RIP9 to a maxle at the same time to stiffen the ride further since I'm a clyde (6'2" 225 lbs). I originally had Nobby Nics front/rear but trashed them on a ride at Pueblo Reservoir (broken shale lined trail). Switched over to S-Works Ground Control up front and S-Works The Captain in the rear.

I'm very happy and would buy them again and move them to the next bike if I sold the RIP for some reason. I ride everything from XC to rocky front range CO trails and love how much they've lightened the bike and how well they accelerate. No problems mounting either set of tires tubeless.

NedwannaB
    Tell me sir, do you feel the change from alum to carbon rims more on the aluminum HT, or Shamu the carbon killer whale?

Thank you.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Of course carbon rims (or any lighter wheel) will climb and accelerate faster/more easily. I've been using the SLs ($1700) with no bead hook and know many other people using either the $1200 or $1700 sets and see them at races and I haven't heard anything negative about that design yet. As far as the wheels go they are incredibly stiff, light and awesome. With a recent tire and wheel change on my bike I took two pounds of rotating weight away and I climb about 10-12% faster and accelerate better as well but that's much harder to quantify. I've got about 100 miles on my set of some pretty hard riding, been running the tires (Racing Ralph in back, Nobby Nic in front although that's too sticky for race day and I'm going to either put a larger racing ralph of maxxis ikon on there) in the 21-25 range while I'm at 150 pounds. I got the set to just be my race day set, but they make the bike so much more nimble that I can't imagine using the old set ever again. I actually kind of want the $1200 set as well so that I can have a burlier tire combination ready to go for training and leisure rides.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I have about 350 miles on mine since late February and love them. I converted the rear of the RIP9 to a maxle at the same time to stiffen the ride further since I'm a clyde (6'2" 225 lbs). I originally had Nobby Nics front/rear but trashed them on a ride at Pueblo Reservoir (broken shale lined trail). Switched over to S-Works Ground Control up front and S-Works The Captain in the rear.

I'm very happy and would buy them again and move them to the next bike if I sold the RIP for some reason. I ride everything from XC to rocky front range CO trails and love how much they've lightened the bike and how well they accelerate. No problems mounting either set of tires tubeless.
    That's good to hear, I'm 210 and will be using the wheels for trail riding. I'm in the Springs and ride the same type of terrain, hoping they hold up and are stiff. I'm used to riding Hope/Flow wheels with Ardents 2.4's or DHF tires, I'm gonna try some Ikon 2.35's on these. I should shed some serious weight and will rocket up the hills lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    Of course carbon rims (or any lighter wheel) will climb and accelerate faster/more easily. I've been using the SLs ($1700) with no bead hook and know many other people using either the $1200 or $1700 sets and see them at races and I haven't heard anything negative about that design yet. As far as the wheels go they are incredibly stiff, light and awesome. With a recent tire and wheel change on my bike I took two pounds of rotating weight away and I climb about 10-12% faster and accelerate better as well but that's much harder to quantify. I've got about 100 miles on my set of some pretty hard riding, been running the tires (Racing Ralph in back, Nobby Nic in front although that's too sticky for race day and I'm going to either put a larger racing ralph of maxxis ikon on there) in the 21-25 range while I'm at 150 pounds. I got the set to just be my race day set, but they make the bike so much more nimble that I can't imagine using the old set ever again. I actually kind of want the $1200 set as well so that I can have a burlier tire combination ready to go for training and leisure rides.
    Are you sure your $1700 SL don't have a bead hook? My understanding was that eliminating the bead hook is how they brought the price down and only the $1200 wheelset has no hook.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    I've got a pair of the new Rovals that I've used about 6 times, including a 3-day enduro event, where they got a thorough thrashing.
    Thx, I'm heavier but wont be doing any of that style riding on this bike, how did they feel as far as stiffness on the enduro event?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Are you sure your $1700 SL don't have a bead hook? My understanding was that eliminating the bead hook is how they brought the price down and only the $1200 wheelset has no hook.
    Yeah, pretty sure, but I'll double check them as I'll be taking the front tire off in the next few weeks in favor of a Maxxis Ikon 2.35.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've just done 1160KM in 9 days across Portugal. No issues at all with a set of Ikons fitted at 28psi in the back and 22psi in the front. Wheels body and bike took a battering over some very rough terrain. Bearings are fine as well and wheels appear straight still.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a handful of rides on mine, and love these wheels. The ONLY issue I have had is I have rolled 2 Racing Ralph 2.20's off the front with around 28psi in them on some faster technical turns. I ultimately switched out the front to an S-Works tire and have had no problems whatsoever... Never had that problem with my Crest wheels, so I am pretty certain the lack of the lip on these wheels is the culprit...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You are correct. Unless Dirtdan took a file and some sandpaper to his rims, he should still have a bead hook.

rr
    I don't do PC

mtbr member
    You are correct, my rims have a bead hook. My bad.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Picked mine up this week, they are very nice!, 1620g with 15mm/142 endcaps. They are going on this- The All Mountain - Reeb Bicycles. Along with Sid 120 fork, XO/X9 drivetrain, XT brakes, Gravity dropper post with mix of Chromag, Thomson cockpit

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6