Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 148
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    It really catches you off guard the first time.
    It is a bit surprising! I've tried contacting Specy several times in email and never once received a reply. Called them on the phone a few times with questions, and reach a "real person" every time!

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,842
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    It is a bit surprising! I've tried contacting Specy several times in email and never once received a reply. Called them on the phone a few times with questions, and reach a "real person" every time!
    I've had the same experience with Santa Cruz also.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,520
    Really interested in these!!

    Everybody called me crazy for running tubless on my infernos with no bead hook. I guess I dont have as much to worry about now.

  4. #104
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,883
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Really interested in these!!

    Everybody called me crazy for running tubless on my infernos with no bead hook. I guess I dont have as much to worry about now.
    What happened to the bead hook on your Infernos? If that rim really didn't have a bead hook, with a sloping beat seat like that, I'd be worried about inflating a tire on it with a compressor.



    If it had a flat beadshelf, like these Roval rims, with controlled tolerances on the diameter/circumference, side of the rim creates a 90 degree bend that holds the tire onto the rim.

  5. #105
    I should be out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    980

    First look at the $1200 Specialized Carbon 29er Wheels.

    How are actual weights comparing to claimed weights? Has anyone ridden these and/or enve and the "nancy" carbon rims?

  6. #106
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    How are actual weights comparing to claimed weights? Has anyone ridden these and/or enve and the "nancy" carbon rims?
    Mine weighed in @1580 grams for the pair. 850 grams rear/730 grams front IIRC. So it was very close to the other weights I've seen posted.

    I have a ENVE AM and XC 29er wheels (I work in a shop), and these slot in between them in both weight and width. The ENVE AM wheels are pretty burly and look like they can take a lot more abuse than the Rovals, but for trail riding the Rovals look ok. I still haven't mounted tires on them to see how they ride. Hopefully by next weekend I can give a ride report.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    Mine weighed in @1580 grams for the pair. 850 grams rear/730 grams front IIRC. So it was very close to the other weights I've seen posted.

    I have a ENVE AM and XC 29er wheels (I work in a shop), and these slot in between them in both weight and width. The ENVE AM wheels are pretty burly and look like they can take a lot more abuse than the Rovals, but for trail riding the Rovals look ok. I still haven't mounted tires on them to see how they ride. Hopefully by next weekend I can give a ride report.
    Look forward to hearing your feedback after riding the Rovals!

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    Mine weighed in @1580 grams for the pair. 850 grams rear/730 grams front IIRC. So it was very close to the other weights I've seen posted.

    I have a ENVE AM and XC 29er wheels (I work in a shop), and these slot in between them in both weight and width. The ENVE AM wheels are pretty burly and look like they can take a lot more abuse than the Rovals, but for trail riding the Rovals look ok. I still haven't mounted tires on them to see how they ride. Hopefully by next weekend I can give a ride report.
    What was your setup to get the 1580g weight ... 15mm or 9mm QR front, 135mm or 142mm rear?

    In this thread alone I've seen weights listed between 1580g and 1634g (Francouis scale weights) ... although in his pics include a roll of tape the wheels are sitting on, so not sure how much weight they add?

  9. #109
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,958
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    What was your setup to get the 1580g weight ... 15mm or 9mm QR front, 135mm or 142mm rear?

    In this thread alone I've seen weights listed between 1580g and 1634g (Francouis scale weights) ... although in his pics include a roll of tape the wheels are sitting on, so not sure how much weight they add?
    End caps just pop in and out no matter what your fork/rear dropouts are and really should not alter the weight of the wheelset by more than a very small spit of water (if even that). At least they don't alter the weight on the older version of Rovals that I have (came with all of the end caps) when I swap back and forth between 15mm TA and 9mm QR.

    RovalEndCaps

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Hey Bruce,

    Are you riding alloy or carbon Rovals? Happy with their performance and durability? The only experience I have with Rovals are on my cx bike ... and they've been trouble free.

    For my RDO I intend to go with Control Carbon or the Control SL Carbon ... just debating if the relatively small weight difference (130g) is worth the price difference? Based on the tests and reviews it appears the no-hook bead is a non-issue.

  11. #111
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    What was your setup to get the 1580g weight ... 15mm or 9mm QR front, 135mm or 142mm rear?

    In this thread alone I've seen weights listed between 1580g and 1634g (Francouis scale weights) ... although in his pics include a roll of tape the wheels are sitting on, so not sure how much weight they add?
    1580g with 15mm front/142x12 rear endcaps with tape and valve stems installed.

  12. #112
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Can anyone verify the front hub is convertible to 20mm? I understand the QR and 15mm caps are included, and assume if they work with 20mm you'd have to buy them separately. Any source for these?
    I checked the Specialized Technical Support site for dealers and confirmed that the hub is identical to the Trail SL wheels and will use the same 20mm end caps. So you'll have to go through a Specialized dealer to order them. The part number is S125900003 and they're in stock as of 2/20/2013.

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    End caps just pop in and out no matter what your fork/rear dropouts are and really should not alter the weight of the wheelset by more than a very small spit of water (if even that). At least they don't alter the weight on the older version of Rovals that I have (came with all of the end caps) when I swap back and forth between 15mm TA and 9mm QR.

    RovalEndCaps
    I really like the end cap design that Specialized has. I just wish that the hubs were Centerlock.

  14. #114
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,958
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Hey Bruce,

    Are you riding alloy or carbon Rovals? Happy with their performance and durability? The only experience I have with Rovals are on my cx bike ... and they've been trouble free.

    For my RDO I intend to go with Control Carbon or the Control SL Carbon ... just debating if the relatively small weight difference (130g) is worth the price difference? Based on the tests and reviews it appears the no-hook bead is a non-issue.
    Carbon Roval Trail SL's since November of 2011. 1520g for the pair I have. Still going strong 15 months after getting them, so I guess the durability is fine for my needs.

    Roval Trail SL's on the scale - 1520g

    Well, the price difference includes a bit better rear hub internals which is most of the weight savings as well. 130g is more weight than the 4 ounces of sealant you'll have to use (2 ounces in each tire) - so I'd say it would be worth it.

    Your other option would be to build up a set of wheels with the Light-Bicycle carbon rims (Rassy's built mine) for less than the Specialized Rovals if saving $$$ is of interest. Durability for my wheelset (LB rims, American Classic hubs, Wheelsmith spokes) has been equal to my Rovals.

    BB

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Carbon Roval Trail SL's since November of 2011. 1520g for the pair I have. Still going strong 15 months after getting them, so I guess the durability is fine for my needs.

    Roval Trail SL's on the scale - 1520g

    Well, the price difference includes a bit better rear hub internals which is most of the weight savings as well. 130g is more weight than the 4 ounces of sealant you'll have to use (2 ounces in each tire) - so I'd say it would be worth it.

    Your other option would be to build up a set of wheels with the Light-Bicycle carbon rims (Rassy's built mine) for less than the Specialized Rovals if saving $$$ is of interest. Durability for my wheelset (LB rims, American Classic hubs, Wheelsmith spokes) has been equal to my Rovals.

    BB
    Rear hub internals between 240 and 350 hubs (at least the ratchet mechanism) are "identical" per DT Swiss Rep I spoke with a few days back. They do have slightly different bearings, although he said it was a negligible difference? He did mention extra machining of 240 internal hub body shaved some of the weight, but rim with bead hook also a big part of weight savings (compared to the Control wheels). On the front wheel the SL model uses an alloy/carbon hub body, where the Control model uses a full-alloy hub body, so some weight savings there too.

    From a durability standpoint, Specialized seems to think the Control wheels will be even stronger compared to SL's (impact resistance and stiffness), due to a stronger bead layup with no bead hook, but it sounds like either model has excellent durability.

    With all that said, it essentially amounts to roughly $375 cost for a savings of 130 grams (with discount), as I suspect everything else about the wheels will perform very close to equal?

    I usually run Specialized Fast Traks in the Control version, but a switch to S-work tires would actually shave more weight than the SL wheels! That said, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk S-works tires due to their extra thin side walls potentially creating more flats?

    One way or the other I plan to give Rovals a try this season!

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,842
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Rear hub internals between 240 and 350 hubs (at least the ratchet mechanism) are "identical" per DT Swiss Rep I spoke with a few days back. They do have slightly different bearings, although he said it was a negligible difference? He did mention extra machining of 240 internal hub body shaved some of the weight, but rim with bead hook also a big part of weight savings (compared to the Control wheels). On the front wheel the SL model uses an alloy/carbon hub body, where the Control model uses a full-alloy hub body, so some weight savings there too.

    From a durability standpoint, Specialized seems to think the Control wheels will be even stronger compared to SL's (impact resistance and stiffness), due to a stronger bead layup with no bead hook, but it sounds like either model has excellent durability.

    With all that said, it essentially amounts to roughly $375 cost for a savings of 130 grams (with discount), as I suspect everything else about the wheels will perform very close to equal?

    I usually run Specialized Fast Traks in the Control version, but a switch to S-work tires would actually shave more weight than the SL wheels! That said, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk S-works tires due to their extra thin side walls potentially creating more flats?
    One way or the other I plan to give Rovals a try this season!
    All I can do is relate my experience. I've run Sworks tires for a long time without a single issue. I had a SJ FSR and like the Purgatory and Control tires that were on it. When I switched to my TBc, I hated the stock tires on it. So my wife treated me to Sworks Version of the Purg and Control. I had asked on here about, a lot of people commented on how easy the sidewalls cut and I ignored that since I hadn't had a problem in the past- but that was before tubeless.

    First ride, slice the rear sidewall, to big for sealant to hold, took them both back under warranty and replace with non sworks version. Same trails few months of riding not a problem so far.
    To me not worth the tiny weight savings.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  17. #117
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,958
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    With all that said, it essentially amounts to roughly $375 cost for a savings of 130 grams (with discount), as I suspect everything else about the wheels will perform very close to equal?
    Not too terribly bad for .28 pounds (more than a 1/4 pound, less than a 1/3 of a pound). There was a time, about a decade ago, where $1 a gram was not too out of line for weight weenie builds. Bike component prices have sky rocketed in the past decade (compared to a lot of other things and the use of higher tech ingredients). So today's weight weenie builds seem to consider the $2-3 per gram cost as nott too terribly out of line. 130g saved on the wheels, 80g saved on grips, 100g saved on pedals, 80g saved on saddle weight, 100g saved on tires - and suddenly your bike is 1+ pounds lighter.

    Sounds like you've already talked yourself into the Control version (which is fine, by the way). The price point and 2013 models look really good from Specialized compared to the prior model pricing. Having gone both the route of the Rovals and a Light-Bicycle carbon build - I'd probably choose the latter to really get what I wanted if I was doing it all over again. You get to pick the rims, hubs, spokes and nipples for desired weight and budget.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    All I can do is relate my experience. I've run Sworks tires for a long time without a single issue. I had a SJ FSR and like the Purgatory and Control tires that were on it. When I switched to my TBc, I hated the stock tires on it. So my wife treated me to Sworks Version of the Purg and Control. I had asked on here about, a lot of people commented on how easy the sidewalls cut and I ignored that since I hadn't had a problem in the past- but that was before tubeless.

    First ride, slice the rear sidewall, to big for sealant to hold, took them both back under warranty and replace with non sworks version. Same trails few months of riding not a problem so far.
    To me not worth the tiny weight savings.
    Not sure if it's just a typo on your part, but on one hand you say you've run Sworks tires for a long time without a single issue ... did you mean to say "Specialized" tires? Because later you go on to mention several issues you've had with Sworks tires forcing you back to Control versions ... which have been trouble-free?

    I know several riders using Sworks tires with no issues, but I probably know more that have had sidewall cut problems. That's the main reason I'm hesitant to make the switch to Sworks tires ... and if I did it would probably only be on the front?

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Not too terribly bad for .28 pounds (more than a 1/4 pound, less than a 1/3 of a pound). There was a time, about a decade ago, where $1 a gram was not too out of line for weight weenie builds. Bike component prices have sky rocketed in the past decade (compared to a lot of other things and the use of higher tech ingredients). So today's weight weenie builds seem to consider the $2-3 per gram cost as nott too terribly out of line. 130g saved on the wheels, 80g saved on grips, 100g saved on pedals, 80g saved on saddle weight, 100g saved on tires - and suddenly your bike is 1+ pounds lighter.

    Sounds like you've already talked yourself into the Control version (which is fine, by the way). The price point and 2013 models look really good from Specialized compared to the prior model pricing. Having gone both the route of the Rovals and a Light-Bicycle carbon build - I'd probably choose the latter to really get what I wanted if I was doing it all over again. You get to pick the rims, hubs, spokes and nipples for desired weight and budget.
    I thought I had talked myself into the Control version ... until YOU chimed in!

    All joking aside, I like everything I've read about the SL and Control Rovals (DT internals & spokes sound great, hand built quality assurance sounds great). I was originally very hesitant with the no-hook bead, but based on reviews and tests I've seen online, losing the hook seems like a non-issue from a tire security point, and possibly even an advantage from an impact resistance point?

    If I did go the SL route, I would have to go with the lighter Race SL's to gain the 130g savings, per Specy site the new Trail SL's are within 10 grams of the Controls.

    Thanks for the feedback BB!
    Last edited by kfb66; 02-21-2013 at 03:57 PM.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Rear hub internals between 240 and 350 hubs (at least the ratchet mechanism) are "identical" per DT Swiss Rep I spoke with a few days back. They do have slightly different bearings, although he said it was a negligible difference? He did mention extra machining of 240 internal hub body shaved some of the weight, but rim with bead hook also a big part of weight savings (compared to the Control wheels). On the front wheel the SL model uses an alloy/carbon hub body, where the Control model uses a full-alloy hub body, so some weight savings there too.

    From a durability standpoint, Specialized seems to think the Control wheels will be even stronger compared to SL's (impact resistance and stiffness), due to a stronger bead layup with no bead hook, but it sounds like either model has excellent durability.

    With all that said, it essentially amounts to roughly $375 cost for a savings of 130 grams (with discount), as I suspect everything else about the wheels will perform very close to equal?

    I usually run Specialized Fast Traks in the Control version, but a switch to S-work tires would actually shave more weight than the SL wheels! That said, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk S-works tires due to their extra thin side walls potentially creating more flats?

    One way or the other I plan to give Rovals a try this season!
    I have run the S-Works tires (several models) only as fronts with zero issues - I choose the added security of Controls in the back b/c of the stories I had heard. Some places just aren't worth the weight savings.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,842
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Not sure if it's just a typo on your part, but on one hand you say you've run Sworks tires for a long time without a single issue ... did you mean to say "Specialized" tires? Because later you go on to mention several issues you've had with Sworks tires forcing you back to Control versions ... which have been trouble-free?

    I know several riders using Sworks tires with no issues, but I probably know more that have had sidewall cut problems. That's the main reason I'm hesitant to make the switch to Sworks tires ... and if I did it would probably only be on the front?
    I was running the SWorks versions of tires for a long time yes, but that was back in the early 2000's before tubeless was around. Never had a problem so I ignored the warning about CURRENT Sworks sidewalls being thin and tearing easy because of my past experience with SWorks tires. I should have listened. The Sworks Purgatory is 25g less than the Control, hardly worth the thinner sidewalls and hassle of a tear. I could cut back on what eat that morning and save more weight than having two Sworks tires vs. their Control counterparts.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I was running the SWorks versions of tires for a long time yes, but that was back in the early 2000's before tubeless was around. Never had a problem so I ignored the warning about CURRENT Sworks sidewalls being thin and tearing easy because of my past experience with SWorks tires. I should have listened. The Sworks Purgatory is 25g less than the Control, hardly worth the thinner sidewalls and hassle of a tear. I could cut back on what eat that morning and save more weight than having two Sworks tires vs. their Control counterparts.
    For a 25g difference I would agree, NOT worth it. With Fast Trak's the difference between Sworks and Control is 80-90g so might be worth it?

  23. #123
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    537
    Just picked up a set of the Roval Control Carbon 29er wheels and they are sweet! I had to settle for a road ride today since we had snow yesterday, but I could feel the difference in wheel weight (~400g) from my Stan's Flow EX wheels. We have snow again tomorrow and I have a business trip next week so not sure when I'll get some trail riding in, but will report back when I do.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Nice looking rig!

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,787
    Does anyone know if they will be releasing a comparable 26" wheelset?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •