Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elrollo View Post
    I hope it's better than they handle frame warranty claims...
    Guess that depends on how you think they've handled them. I've read a lot more good stories vs. bad.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Guess that depends on how you think they've handled them. I've read a lot more good stories vs. bad.
    Agreed. In my experience Specialized is more than fair from a CS/ warrantee standpoint. This is one of the reasons I would choose Specialized (I don't currently own a specialized but have had many in the past).

bikerpilot
    These came with the new snap on tubeless strip, right? Not tape? I had to send my Control SL off to the service center and it came back with the snap on strip instead of tape. Wondering how this even works without actually sealing the rim, and how well. Is the strip wide enough that the tire bead sits on top of it and creates a seal between the strip and the tire, such that the rim itself doesn't need sealing? I went ahead and tried it with just the strip last night, and got it to air up but had leakage around the valve stem. Tightened it enough (by hand) that it seemed to quit leaking, we will see how the air pressure is when I get home today though. Just looking for long term experience from others, does the strip hold air well or should I go with tried and true Stan's tape?
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    These came with the new snap on tubeless strip, right? Not tape? I had to send my Control SL off to the service center and it came back with the snap on strip instead of tape. Wondering how this even works without actually sealing the rim, and how well. Is the strip wide enough that the tire bead sits on top of it and creates a seal between the strip and the tire, such that the rim itself doesn't need sealing? I went ahead and tried it with just the strip last night, and got it to air up but had leakage around the valve stem. Tightened it enough (by hand) that it seemed to quit leaking, we will see how the air pressure is when I get home today though. Just looking for long term experience from others, does the strip hold air well or should I go with tried and true Stan's tape?
    If you look through the cheap Chinese carbon rim thread, plenty of people are using the bonty strip with really good results. I can't imagine the ones you got would be much different.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Trail Ninja
    Enough of the strip tease. More pictures of the good stuff please! Pictures of strip show would be appreciated too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well I finally had the time to throw some tires on these wheels. I set them up tubless with 2013 Rocket Rons Tubless EVO tires. I had a problem with the rim strip and valve stem on the front wheel. It would not seal up and leaked air from the valve stem area. I took the tire off and noticed that the rim strip was not aligned with the hole for the stem, so it was a quick fix.

Other than that these were the easiest wheels I have ever set up tubeless. The tires seated at 40 PSI and so far are still holding air. I was surprised and impressed. Usually it takes me multiple attempts and removing the valve core to get a tire to inflate.

bikerpilot
    Mine have been holding air great with the new strip, once I got the valve stem sealed up. I think I like tape better for that reason, it's stuck down around the valve hole and not gonna move, so the valve stem can seal it better it seems.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    To rich for my blood.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bobgfish View Post
    They are XC wheels with a maximum rider weight...I wouldn't use them as a free ride wheel but suspect they will stand up to a couple of seasons of XC racing...
    Yea, a maximum rider weight of 240lbs!!

I'd be willing to bet most riders will get a LOT more than a couple seasons out of these wheels. While I understand the no-hook bead is new to carbon wheels, I've seen nothing but very positive testing & feedback so far, and one of the stated advantages of no-hook bead is better impact durability due to a stronger carbon layup and added material vs bead hook models?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SweatyBiscuit View Post
    Some things have been hinted at but to my knowledge not officially addressed.

Fourth - The reason they didn't include the bead hook is because the rims are cheaper to produce without it. That's why (at least one of the reasons) they are less then the SL models (same hubs).
    I spoke directly to a DT Swiss Rep yesterday and he was very helpful in describing the differences of the Roval carbon wheels.

First off, it's ONLY the rear wheels that come with DT hub internals. The Control SL comes with 240 internals, while the Control model comes with 350 internals. The main difference between 240/350 internals are "slightly" better bearings in the 240, with a bit more internal machining to save weight without affecting strength. The Star Ratchet assembly is exactly the same! He also said for 2013 Specy will use all DT Revolution spokes (no more Aerolites), so for the rear wheel, the full weight difference is in the hub and rim.

The front wheels of both models are apparently exactly the same hubs (not DT), so the ONLY difference is the rim itself.

I'm still debating between the Control and Control SL models, but if the no-hook bead seals as well as they claim, AND it also adds strength for better impact resistance, it's hard to argue the bang-for-buck of the Control model? At msrp it really comes down to $500 for 130 grams weight savings with the SL ..... with everything else being very close to equal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good info man.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

AZ
    banned
    Longer term report Francois?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Longer term report Francois?
    I would love to hear long-term feedback from Francois ... especially comparing the Control to the SL version he previously tested!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can anyone verify the front hub is convertible to 20mm? I understand the QR and 15mm caps are included, and assume if they work with 20mm you'd have to buy them separately. Any source for these?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I would love to hear long-term feedback from Francois ... especially comparing the Control to the SL version he previously tested!
    Mine have done nearly 1000km. No complaints. Still running the tyres the bike shipped with set up tubeless and have been perfect. Small leak on rear which is around the valve stem. I was thinking today that I've given them a right hammering over very rough hard conditions recently. The kind that shakes the fillings loose. I've also been ploughing into snow banks up to the height of the wheel when I've lost control and thinking thats proably not good for them. So far I think they are great and will take them in shortly and get them checked for roundness and straightness. Also going to swap to some Maxxis Ikons tubeless and see what happens soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    bobgfish,
    Great feedback, please keep us posted how they do at their checkup!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm not 100% sure, but the way I understand it ... only the "Trail" models of the Roval carbon wheels can adapt to a 20mm axle/hub. For the Carbon Control and Carbon Control SL I believe they use a smaller hub body, so 20mm doesn't work. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can follow with a definite answer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but the way I understand it ... only the "Trail" models of the Roval carbon wheels can adapt to a 20mm axle/hub. For the Carbon Control and Carbon Control SL I believe they use a smaller hub body, so 20mm doesn't work. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can follow with a definite answer?
    Why not call or email Specialized and ask instead of depending on someone you don't know on an internet forum?
    If you order based on a post here, what are you going to do if they don't convert?
    Get an email from Specialized saying they'll work and they don't, then you have a case to get your money back.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Why not call or email Specialized and ask instead of depending on someone you don't know on an internet forum?
    If you order based on a post here, what are you going to do if they don't convert?
    Get an email from Specialized saying they'll work and they don't, then you have a case to get your money back.
    Great idea. Did that two weeks ago and never heard back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Great idea. Did that two weeks ago and never heard back.
    Call them, I have several times and get a live person to answer me.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

AZ
    banned
    According to the Specialized web site the Trail SL is 20mm capable:

"•Front Hub: carbon/alloy body, 15/20mm thru-axle, and 24/28mm QR end cap options included"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Call them, I have several times and get a live person to answer me.
    I'll be damned. A real person answered the phone. No go on 20mm for the Controls. Have to step up to the Trail version to get compatibility.
    Last edited by ripn; 02-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I'll be damned. A real person answered the phone.
    It really catches you off guard the first time.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Must have LONGER TERM REPORT!

bog
    mtbr member
    I wonder I they got around Paul Lew's patent somehow or are licensing it. He was showing off Reynolds wheels with no bead hook a while ago.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast