Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Specialized does not state a minimum pressure of 25 psi (or any).

I believe the reason is this is very dependent on rider weight, style, terrain and tire you use. Some will have a minimum of 20 and some at 30 psi. So they don't state a number. If you saw this 25 psi number somewhere, let us know.

fc
    Francois,

I read that in an early product preview on another site. It seems to have been said by Roval wheel engineer Jeremy Thompson. I would paste the link, but don't know if that's a huge faux pas, especially considering the person I am corresponding in this reply

Cassoulet forever !
    What is the internal with of these ?

edit : found 23mm on françois's article
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I wonder what sort of beating these wheels re designed to take? Any ideas anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They are XC wheels with a maximum rider weight...I wouldn't use them as a free ride wheel but suspect they will stand up to a couple of seasons of XC racing...

Trail Ninja
    I approve of that c clamp test.

Living the Dream

How would these be for 100 mile endurance racing

Why

These will be fine. A little smoother on the vibrations and a little lower psi due to the wider internal rim width.

fc
    I currently have a Santa Cruz Highball Carbon with Stans Crest/Hope 2s and I was thinking of building up a lighter set of Crest 240s with sapim xrays and dt 240s. Do you know how much weight the tubeless kit for the Rovals adds?

Thanks!
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

And He was Not
    Affordable carbon wheels for the masses,
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    I wish I would have splurged and got these over the regular Controls!!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Bring back the Tour de GA
    Specialized categorizes these wheels as XC rather than Trail. Are they too fragile for moderate trail riding?
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Specialized does not state a minimum pressure of 25 psi (or any).

I believe the reason is this is very dependent on rider weight, style, terrain and tire you use. Some will have a minimum of 20 and some at 30 psi. So they don't state a number. If you saw this 25 psi number somewhere, let us know.

fc
    Here's the quote about the minimum tyre pressure for the Specialized Control Carbon 29 rims:

The big news on the dirt is the introduction of the new Control Carbon 29. It brings the lightweight and stiffness of carbon rims down a price peg, to just $1,200. But price is just the beginning…they’re introducing an entirely new rim shape. Or, rather, a very old rim shape.

Back in the day, rims were originally rolled steel and didn’t have bead hooks. With the advent of extruded alloy rims, they could easily put the hook on the rim as insurance against the wild variations in tire manufacturing. With tire tolerances more exact nowadays, Specialized found that they didn’t actually need the hook.

Thompson says no one’s rolled a tire off yet, but they do have a 25psi recommended minimum for all of their carbon rims. The tire bead in compression (ie. when inflated) pops into place, and the Kevlar or carbon beads used in good quality modern tires won’t stretch at all, so it can’t expand to the point where it’ll slip off."
    BikeRumor.com

2013 Specialized Wheels & Tires – Aero & Disc Road, Budget Carbon 29er MTB & More! - Bike Rumor

The Specialized website states that there's a rider weight limit of 240lb (108kg) for the wheels but doesn't list any tyre pressure recommendations. With carbon rims there's usually a maximum tyre pressure rating also which would be useful to know.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Max pressure is printed on the rims. Says do not inflate past 45 psi.

Just received my set and the build quality is amazing compared to my chinese carbon rims.

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    Max pressure is printed on the rims. Says do not inflate past 45 psi.

Just received my set and the build quality is amazing compared to my chinese carbon rims.
    Can you post up actual weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm getting 1600-1610 grams with 142 axle conversion and 15mm front caps.

With quick release caps 1670.

Mine came with 20mm caps as well.

I'm sure it will hit the target weight without caps.

davidcarson48
    Thanks for the info. Post up some pics when you can!

mtbr member
    Thanx... got Epic and need toget some wheels now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone know if you can put the XX1 free hub on these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    Does anyone know if you can put the XX1 free hub on these?
    According to Bikeradar.com, Control carbon rear hub is come from DT which has the same internals as DT 240s and DT 350 have. Thus, the hub should be compatible with DT Swiss' XX1 freehub.
    "Specialized has chimed in to say their Control Race, Control Trail and Traverse wheels are compatible with DT Swiss’ XX1 Driver Body since they use DT’s hub internals."

Source: Manufacturer Round Up: Who’s Making SRAM XX1 Drivers & What Are the Design Challenges? - Bike Rumor
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    are the control trail sl carbon wheels available at all as per the 2013 stumjumper fsr s-works bikes have?
    cant see anything on web about them for 2013 also they dont have the red graphics in pictures ive seen of fsr.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    These are the wheels this thread is about: Specialized Bicycle Components

These are the ones on the FSR- they come in 2 color schemes Specialized Bicycle Components
    Two different wheelsets.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Silly question-
    Im running xtr wheels on my 26" wheeled bike
    Which are fine for my riding i do,ive never had problems with tham in last year and a half would these would be a Similar option for my 29er strength wise and weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Some things have been hinted at but to my knowledge not officially addressed.

First - These Carbon Control wheels only come in the standard 12x142/135mm (adapters included) rear hub. The higher end SL models are available in 142+ and reg. 135/142mm flavors. 142+ setups are not compatible with standard 12x142 dropouts due to chain line differences.

Second - The internals of the rear hub are from the DT 240/350 hubs (rear hub parts are interchangeable). So the DT Swiss XX1 cassette body is compatible.

Third - Tire pressures are limited officially to 25-45 psi. Over inflating the tires could cause problems (pic of one guy inflating to over 100 psi).

Fourth - The reason they didn't include the bead hook is because the rims are cheaper to produce without it. That's why (at least one of the reasons) they are less then the SL models (same hubs).

I just received these wheels but due all the snow in northern Utah I haven't ridden them yet. Mine weighed in at 1610 grams with 12x142 rear axle and 15mm front though axle end caps installed with tubeless strips and valves. The rim strips are also removable/reusable (A first that I'm aware of).

davidcarson48
    Thanks for posting that up, Sweaty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hmmmm...."limited lifetime warranty" it will be interesting to see how claims are handled...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elrollo View Post
    hmmmm...."limited lifetime warranty" it will be interesting to see how claims are handled...
    Not the first set of Carbon wheels they've put out, so what's to wonder? Research how they've handle past claims and you have your answer.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Not the first set of Carbon wheels they've put out, so what's to wonder? Research how they've handle past claims and you have your answer.
    I hope it's better than they handle frame warranty claims...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast