Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Trips for Kids Denver
    All a MX bead lock does is keep the wheel from spinning inside the tire in case of a flat. MX tires have a crazy stiff sidewalls requiring looong metal irons to change. Those beads aren't popping off although the inside of a MX rim is pretty rough texture.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

swag ho Administrator
    I've ridden the wheels twice already and the feel stiffer than the old carbon rovals. Also I did the shiggy c-clamp test to try and break the seal.

2013 Specialized Control 29 Carbon Wheels for $1200 | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is awesome Francois! Any plan to try running them at lower pressure too?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    This is awesome Francois! Any plan to try running them at lower pressure too?
    Yes, I normally run at 22 psi. I'll run these as low as 18-19 psi in the next few weeks. Under that, they just get 'wallowy'.

I find that burping tires occurs if you use a tire that is loose on the rim. One really needs a tire that is a tight fit on the rim where it is almost difficult to mount the tires without tire levers or using proper technique (centering the tire on the middle groove of the rim).

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer. I'm gonna 'guess' that there would be a pop. I would think that has more to do with the tire snapping into place evenly than it does with there being a hook, but what do I know?

I was figuring the sound went out to mute the explatives! LOL!
    Yes, sorry about the audio. Remote senheiser mike failed!!

And yes, it popped and snapped, just like normal. What surprised me is that this tire inflated with a floor pump. I didn't push the tire out to the sides and all that jibberish. I had a massive compressor ready but I just tried that floor pump for the heck of it. I guess it's all about fit.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    That is sincerely frightening!

How do they stop the bead pulling off when you get a good side load on it? I've seen people rip tyres right off the rim with a good sideways landing, not having any kind of bead hook seems counter-intuitive to me.
    I think it's really about tire fit. Someone once told me that tubeless tires really seal more at the bottom of the bead and not at the sides.

Here's a photo of the tire at max c-clamp force. I rocked it side to side and still could not break the seal.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First look at the 00 Specialized Carbon 29er Wheels.-pc100076-001.jpg  

First look at the 00 Specialized Carbon 29er Wheels.-pc100077-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Okay, then that's really quite impressive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For the price does the rear hub already come with the 36 POE ratchet?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    For the price does the rear hub already come with the 36 POE ratchet?
    Yes, it does. I opened it up last night and took a look. Therse are the DT Swiss internals.

Basically, these two plates are pressed together with a spring. Clockwise turn and they are engaged and counter-clockwise will allow it to ratchet. This is why the ratchet is so secure since it doesn't rely on tiny individual spring-loaded pawls to engage. These two plates lock together under pedaling and I can't see how it's going to slip or fail.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Yes, and at lower than the stated minimum pressure of 25psi...
    Specialized does not state a minimum pressure of 25 psi (or any).

I believe the reason is this is very dependent on rider weight, style, terrain and tire you use. Some will have a minimum of 20 and some at 30 psi. So they don't state a number. If you saw this 25 psi number somewhere, let us know.

fc

29er
    Apr 2010
    i'd be intersted how these do with schwalbe tires, those are my tire of choice

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A step in the right direction in terms of carbon wheelset cost and it would be nice if the rims were available separately. Wonder if Specialized modified their tires in some way to work without the bead hook? Also, need to test with a heavier rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Interested in your ride reports. Price looks good, what kind of warranty on the rim itself?
    Limited lifetime! It's on the SBC website...

swag ho Administrator
    A note about availability:

They are already available on the Stumpjumper HT and Epic Marathon Specialized Bicycle Components and they will be available aftermarket by Christmas in the USA… supply will be tight at first but by February there will be decent stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trying to justify this to myself, stock wheelset is only 1724g. Yes I know these are stiffer, but is that stiffness and .35 lbs worth $1200
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any chance you'll try them on a rigid setup? Love to hear some feedback from anyone thats ran this, or another carbon wheel on a rigid bike.

My gloves stink

Apples-to-apples weight comparison with Control SL?

So, including or excluding rim strips, skewers, stems, etc...what exactly is the weight difference compared with Control SL?
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    A note about availability:

They are already available on the Stumpjumper HT and Epic Marathon Specialized Bicycle Components and they will be available aftermarket by Christmas in the USA… supply will be tight at first but by February there will be decent stock.
    These have been at my local Specialized dealer for awhile, they had some in stock today. They've sold a half dozen sets or so. Pretty sweet deal IMO.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    So, including or excluding rim strips, skewers, stems, etc...what exactly is the weight difference compared with Control SL?
    This wheelset is 50 grams heavier than the old one at 1530 grams.

Specialized Roval Control Trail SL 29er Carbon Wheels | Mountain Bike Review

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    Any chance you'll try them on a rigid setup? Love to hear some feedback from anyone thats ran this, or another carbon wheel on a rigid bike.
    Why

These will be fine. A little smoother on the vibrations and a little lower psi due to the wider internal rim width.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First look at the 00 Specialized Carbon 29er Wheels.-img_3717.jpg  

Last edited by francois; 12-11-2012 at 07:54 PM.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    It is flat as can be!

It's mounted and I'll ride it today at 20 psi.

fc
    Maybe that's why they are so affordable: Someone forgot to manufacture the rims with hooks for the beads, now they're selling it as a "feature".

My gloves stink

Wow!

This wheelset is 50 grams heavier than the old one at 1530 grams.
    fc
    Thank you, Francois. For $500 less, 50 grams more. Dang!
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Thanks for taking the time to post this and the video. I's a really interesting product at that price point. They are still too much money for my purposes but it's super good to see the price of light weight, carbon rimmed, great hubbed, high quality well built wheels coming down so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yes, and at lower than the stated minimum pressure of 25psi

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks really cool! I wish I would have the alloy rimmed Roval Control 29, no matter that 100g penalty for me. However the decals not as simple as on the carbon version (I like the design of the carbon version more) but it's 700 USD.

I'm looking forward to a long-term review of the carbon version, looks really promising!
    Last edited by semmiho; 12-18-2012 at 02:26 AM.
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast