Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Millbarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    15

    Filling Tubeless Tires - Do you use a Syringe?

    I recently converted to Stan's and everything is going great. The area around the value stem on the front took a while to seal, but since then they've been great.

    I also live in a hot area (Central Texas) and summer is coming up...I'm guessing my Stan's will dry out at some point and I'll need to add more.

    I plan on using a syringe (hypodermic needle) to inject through the tire so I don't have to open it up just to add more Stan's.
    Is anyone else doing this? If so, what size (gauge) syringe are you using? I'm able to find a 14 gauge needle but nothing larger. Will this be large enough for the micro-beads to fit through?

    Thanks,
    -Millbarge

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TORQUE-29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    138

  3. #3
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Millbarge View Post
    I recently converted to Stan's and everything is going great. The area around the value stem on the front took a while to seal, but since then they've been great.

    I also live in a hot area (Central Texas) and summer is coming up...I'm guessing my Stan's will dry out at some point and I'll need to add more.

    I plan on using a syringe (hypodermic needle) to inject through the tire so I don't have to open it up just to add more Stan's.
    Is anyone else doing this? If so, what size (gauge) syringe are you using? I'm able to find a 14 gauge needle but nothing larger. Will this be large enough for the micro-beads to fit through?

    Thanks,
    -Millbarge
    That sounds like a bad idea. You don't really want to introduce a puncture (even though it would seal) into your tire. Remove the valve core and add sealant through the valve stem using this: 2oz Tire Sealant Injector

    Or, just pop a few inches of one side of the tire bead on the opposite end of the wheel from the valve core, add sealant and air up again.

    BB

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Millbarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    15
    I'm new to the whole Tubeless Setup and was worried that bead would come unseated when releasing all of the air. Will the bead stay when deflated?
    It's not a big hassle to get it seated and sealed again, but it would turn a 30-second refill into a 10-20 minute reseat/reseal/refill procedure that I would like to avoid.

    -Millbarge

  5. #5
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Millbarge View Post
    I'm new to the whole Tubeless Setup and was worried that bead would come unseated when releasing all of the air. Will the bead stay when deflated?
    It's not a big hassle to get it seated and sealed again, but it would turn a 30-second refill into a 10-20 minute reseat/reseal/refill procedure that I would like to avoid.

    -Millbarge
    The bead will seal up rather quickly if you break one side of it to add sealant. Especially if you go for a ride right after you add some sealant or spin the wheel around for a minute or two in the work stand. Most of the shake and dance, lay the wheel flat routine on initial set up that takes 10-20 minutes+ is to seal the sidewalls of tires - especially when converting non-tubeless tires to tubeless. If you add sealant through the valve stem by removing the core and using either the injector NoTubes sells or your own ghetto version - it takes about as long as popping one side of the bead does by the time you remove the core, screw the injector on the valve stem, inject a couple of ounces, put the core back in, air up and clean up the injector. No matter which way you do it, I guarantee you it cannot be done in 30 seconds. Allow yourself a few minutes no matter which method you choose.

    One reason I like to pop the bead every now and then to add sealant is to check for boogers. This is what I found recently when adding sealant....

    A pair of Goobers!

    Popping the bead allows you to pick your tire's nose and get the big boogers out of there.

    BB

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    I paid $10 for that piece of ****. It won't mount up to my valve stems. I added sealant by popping the bead on one side of the tire and just squeezing it in out of the bottle. Sealed right back up.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trumpus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    I paid $10 for that piece of ****. It won't mount up to my valve stems. I added sealant by popping the bead on one side of the tire and just squeezing it in out of the bottle. Sealed right back up.
    What stems do you have? That seems weird considering I've got it and have used it without issue with both Stan's and AC valve stems.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    311
    I've personally never used a syringe but I know some people do. Personally I just pop the tire off one side and have a look from time to time (maybe scrape some boogers out - its kinda cool to see how many flats have been sealed by the stuff). I've found the stuff seems to be good for a couple of months (I've only ever used Stans). I'll add a scoop here or there. I know a lot stuff is said about complexity of tubeless etc but I have to admit that after you do it a couple times it very easy to do and very low maintenance.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    766
    Also use the injector.ApparentlyI lack the skill it takes to pour it in the tire without creating a friggin mess everywhere.
    On longer rides I just fill the syringe, fold the hose over and secure with a rubber band. Throw it in my pack. Havent had any issues as of yet. Course I havent had to use it on the trail either. Well except for the time I didnt have it and then used my buddies bike to ride home and get it. Figures!

  10. #10
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    Also use the injector.ApparentlyI lack the skill it takes to pour it in the tire without creating a friggin mess everywhere.
    On longer rides I just fill the syringe, fold the hose over and secure with a rubber band. Throw it in my pack. Havent had any issues as of yet. Course I havent had to use it on the trail either. Well except for the time I didnt have it and then used my buddies bike to ride home and get it. Figures!



    Why do you need the injector on the trail?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    311
    I was going lot ask the same thing about needing the injector on the trail? I've only flatted a couple a couple times on the trail since going tubeless. One was a 1/2inch hole which no sealant was ever going to seal. The other was a complete shredding of a sidewall. I just pop a tube in and carry on. I live in dry cactusy terrain and used to get flats almost every 2nd ride. Tubeless with sealant has virtually eliminated flats

    What do others do when they get flats?

  12. #12
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    I tried the valve stem injection method once with a syringe and clear tubing from the hardware store. It wasn't as effective as simply breaking the bead and pouring in the Stan's. I hold the bead in and pour the Stan's on the rim strip and it flows down inside the tire. A lot less messy for me.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  13. #13
    Old-newbie
    Reputation: g3rG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    377
    I buy these from Amazon for around a buck apiece (60 ml is ~2oz):
    Amazon.com: SPECIAL Pack of 5 -IRRIGATION SYRINGE PISTON 4262 60CC DYNAREX CORP.: Health & Personal Care

    They are also great for filling with various types of grease for maintenance work. They have caps, so you can fill them and leave on a shelf.

    For tire sealant I take out the valve core and use a short piece of vinyl tubing that fits snugly over the valve stem. I don't even have to use the plunger since the stuff runs right in. I chase it all with a spray of water to keep the valve from getting gummed up.

    Caveats: I use schrader valves and Caffelatex with fibers added.

    I do carry a syringe on the trail. I got tired of dumping sealant out when I lacerated a sidewall. The syringes come with caps, so you can siphon out the sealant for use later, or for immediate reuse if you can repair the tire.

    Last time I had a flat on the trail I thought I would "just throw in a tube". When I opened it up the tire looked like an inside-out pincushion, with scads of cactus needles and a few very large thorns. No chance of a tube working.

    If you inject through the stem press the tire to force out some air, then hook up the syringe, then let go of the tire. Just forcing the liquid in will build pressure and you will get blowback when you remove the syringe. Also rotate the tire so that the stem is off bottom dead center by 45 degrees or so.

    gerG
    Last edited by g3rG; 03-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Why do you need the injector on the trail?
    Never thought I would until the above story. Sealant just failed. Probably could have avoided if I added or changed an a schedule,but....

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,208
    Go to your local pet/feed store (think rancher) and they'll have syringes for about a $1. No need to spend $10 for a Notubes brand.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    523
    i bought a flavor injector at walmart works great! just throw the needle away, fill with stans, and go. cost me 5 dollars
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    43
    Put the wheel in a bike stand, then break the bead at the bottom with a tire lever, fill with the stans scoop and reseal - done. Super easy.

    Yes pick out any boogers.
    I have been tubeless for a couple of years and don't ever carry sealant with me. Just bring a tube - for an emergency. Done

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    817
    I use an old medicine syringe. Works great. I donít carry Stans on the trail, but I do have it back in my truck. Iíve had slow leaks on the trail that I was able to add sealant to at the truck, then continue to ride. Usually happens when I havenít refreshed the sealant for awhile.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    Go to your local pet/feed store (think rancher) and they'll have syringes for about a $1. No need to spend $10 for a Notubes brand.
    Yep, I get mine at Tractor Supply Center in the horse/pet section. They have all kinds of sizes and are cheap. They also come in handy for fork fluid changes.

  20. #20
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,025
    I fill my tires with air, using a floor pump.

    Not interested in having a tire full of sealant.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Millbarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I fill my tires with air, using a floor pump.

    Not interested in having a tire full of sealant.
    It's not too bad - just 4 ounces of liquid.

    If it keeps me from pushing my bike - I'm all for it.

    -Millbarge

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Millbarge View Post
    It's not too bad - just 4 ounces of liquid.

    If it keeps me from pushing my bike - I'm all for it.

    -Millbarge
    Good lucky chaning Shiggy's mind.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2
    I use a 2oz syringe with the needle removed. I unscrew the valve core, put the tip of the syringe in, and inject slowly. The more of the tip that fits in the valve, the cleaner the injection. Then just re-install the valve core, inflate, shake, and go. Works perfectly for me.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    371
    ^ +1

  25. #25
    addicted to chunk
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,903
    I've used the stans injector, works great.
    Or you can buy a 3 pack of plastic squirt bottles from harbor freight and a piece of clear tubing from hardware store for about $0.25 & that works just as well.
    Or break the bead, pull out the stans booger, & refill.

    Trying to use a syringe & going "through" the tire probably won't work cuz you'll plug up the syringe.
    Riding.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •