mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Fenders on a front suspension arch

My current bike is a 2000 Gary Fisher Marlin with a RockShox Jett front fork. As you can see from the photos, there's an eyelet on the arch of the front suspension that I've mounted fenders to.

Name:  01011c.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  12.0 KBFenders on a front suspension arch-977239_10101589126135315_90835821_o.jpg

This bike is too small for me. I'm choosing components for its replacement, and I'd like a similar setup (front suspension with a fender mounted to the arch). The bike will mostly be used for commuting around the city, with occasional weekend jaunts on hardpacked singletrack. My goals are comfort, reliability, and to minimize required maintenance. This is not a downhill racing bike, just an everyday ride.

I've been looking at 29er forks, and I haven't seen any with a fender mount on the arch. The closest solution I've seen is [URL=http://www.topeak.com/products/Fenders/DeFenderM1]this silly thing[url] that uses a star nut to mount to the crown, which keeps the wet tire from being contained by the fender (and it just looks stupid).

What are the best options for this build?

Worst-case-scenario, would it hurt the integrity of the fork to drill a hole in the arch to mount a fender?

What could go wrong ...
    the Topeak will work fine or something like these might work better than drilling a hole in you fork

SKS GRAND D.A.D and GRAND M.O.M Fender Review | Mountain Bike Review
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks. For both aesthetic and functional reasons, I'm not interested in having something mount to the crown. I don't really want to drill a hole either. Hopefully, someone knows of a 29er option with an eyelet in the crown. =)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brenton View Post
    Thanks. For both aesthetic and functional reasons, I'm not interested in having something mount to the crown. I don't really want to drill a hole either. Hopefully, someone knows of a 29er option with an eyelet in the crown. =)
    I seriously doubt you'll find one. I can't remember the last time a saw a suspension fork with a hole in the arch.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

Fenders on a front suspension arch

Check out http://www.muckynutz.com/ They might have what you're looking for.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I use the SKS X-Board on my 29er and fatbike. It is effective and doesn't make the bike look like a hybrid.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can you put a star-nut up from the bottom and mount one that way?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I agree, I think the fenders that mount to the crown of suspension forks are pretty useless. I've yet to find one that gives adequate coverage over the rear of the front wheel, especially on a 29er.

You might want to look at a downtube fender like the SKS X-Board. I find those work really well off road on my 29er, however at high speeds I do get mud and water flinging forward and up in front of the bike which can then blow back at you. I've seen people put a piece of tubing or the like between the arch and the crown to block this.

Otherwise, you might be able to rig up something on the fork arch to give you a mounting location. I'm thinking something like a p-clamp that people use to mount racks on bikes:
    Name:  p_clamps.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  12.9 KB

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the hole in the arch on your Jett was for a fender, I think it was for mounting a cable stop for cantilever brakes.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    Can you put a star-nut up from the bottom and mount one that way?
    That is how the fender he linked to works. He does not want to mount it that way. I think he wants a full coverage fender, and you can't mount one to a suspension fork that way.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would not be afraid to drill a single hole in the arch. Like you said, you're not downhill racing you're riding around town and light trail riding.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Why don't you just get a hybrid?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the hole in the arch on your Jett was for a fender, I think it was for mounting a cable stop for cantilever brakes.
    There are also bolts inside the lower legs that hold the fender stays, so even if it wasn't designed for a fender (which is looks like it was), it works perfectly for one. (Sadly, it doesn't matter, because that bike is a 26er anyway.)

Before I noticed those bolts, I used P-clamps to mount the fender stays, and they would rotate too easily and make the stays bounce off my tire knobs. Not good. I wonder if a zip-tie would be more secure.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like I'm going to have to jury-rig something to get the quality I'm looking for. I'm going to use bamboo fenders and paint the fork to match the tube. If the arch will accommodate it, I'll drill a hole before I paint it. Otherwise, maybe a small zip-tie will do the trick. The muckynuts and X-Board are probably both good options, but they look a bit too typically MTB. I'd like something more simple and classic.