mtbr member

Feeling Loose up Front

I have had really good luck with the search bar on the forum here, there is a ton of good info on here, but I haven't found an answer on the topic that has been annoying me the past few weeks.

When I hold my front brake and give the bike a push there is in my opinion a lot of play. I can watch my back wheel roll back and forth a bit when I am doing it.

I am riding a Specialized Rockhopper with a Suntour XCR fork.

My first guess was that my disk (brake) needed to be tightened, but that wasn't the case at all.

Is this normal with a 29er, is it an issue of the fork, maybe the headset needs tuned?

Any Opinions?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi There!
    try to lift up the front end by both of the fork stanchions and wiggle around to see if the play is in the headset. try to isolate the headset when doing this.
    NTFTC

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    can be a lot of things...a little brake pad play is normal in the caliper...also some forks are more flexy than others...headset as mentioned above. Also, check your fork isn't compressing as you do this as that may make it seem flexy. If you ride downa hill and put the front brake on you'll likely see the flex if any. I can see some in my rebas, but its not something that you should notice too much. Lateral flex is worse.

mtbr member
    I'd say you need to tighten your stem:

1) Loosen the bolts on the side of your stem.
    2) Tighten the bolt on top to remove some of the play in your headset stack.
    3) Align your front wheel to your stem and re-tighten the bolts on the side of your stem.
    4) Take your bike for a spin.
    5) If it's still loose or you over tightened your headset stack repeat repeat 1-4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    2) Tighten the bolt on top to remove some of the play in your headset stack.
    This is a compression bolt used for adjusting the headset bearings. If you tighten it as you would a normal bolt the steering would be tight and you would ruin the headset. It should just be tightened enough to remove the play yet allow free movement, or approximately "snug".

If your headset isn't loose the play you are feeling is most likely movement between the sanction tubes and the outer legs of the fork, which is normal.

mtbr member
    Better than feelin' loose in the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Work your way through the front end - Tire pressure, spoke tension, front axle (quick release loose?), caliper mounts (both of them), disc, stem bearing...