Thread: FD question

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

FD question

I posted a while ago about piecing together a 29 Er and got a lot of good feedback about cost and it might cheaper to just buy new if I didn't have any existing parts.

so I decided to just search local Craigslist for parts took me about 3 months and about 520.00 to get everything but a chain and cables.

2 sets of wheels
    2 sets of tires
    Shimano hydraulic brakes
    Complete xt drivetrain 3x9
    Reba sl
    Jamis Durango 29er frame.
    And the rest made up of various manufacturers.

This is my first build and has been going well.

So far only problem I have is the front derailler.

I have a bottom pull FD. Is there a way to make it a top pull? I think I need a top pull and not really sure if standard mount or low mount. How can I tell what FD will work? Any guides out there, is it frame specific? Anybody with a jamis Durango and can tell me what they have?

Also any good internet suppliers for misc small. parts? I need 2 bolts for disc brakes, top cap, caliper pad pins. Etc.

Thanks for the answers.

turtles make me hot
    There are dual pull derailleurs. You can set them up for top or bottom cables. I just bought one for my buddy's bike.
    Shimano Deore M590 Oe Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

This is the one I got him. If it fits the seat tube, it'll probably work for you too.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Depends on your trails and how you ride, but since you have everything but the FD try running 1X9 using the middle ring on your crankset. If it works out you just saved cash and weight, not to mention simplicity!

mtbr member
    I'm sorry to do this to you but in the interest of giving you an accurate answer I went to the Jamis website to look at the spec. of the Jamis Durango. I'm not very familiar with their bikes. According to the site the Durango is not a 29" frame:

JAMIS BICYCLES - MOUNTAIN BIKES - 26"

"Our 26” hardtails like Trail X and Durango weigh less and cost less than comparably equipped big-hoop bikes, but that smaller wheel size really comes through with snappy acceleration and flickability that can’t be matched by 29ers, and we capitalize on that with the most dialed-in geometry you’ll find anywhere—race tested, world proven."

To answer your question the Durango has a top pull cable routing so you need a top pull or as mentioned a dual pull front derailleur.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.