Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,178

    Favorite Race-Lite (non race) tires?

    I know I cant be alone thinking that 29er tires are particularly important, especially since tire weight is more dramatic on 29ers than a 26" wheel. For about a year now Ive been holding my breath for manufacturers to catch on to this more than they have for us XC/Trail guys and offer some more options in the 600 gram or under weight category...

    A popular favorite in this group would likely be the Ikon, which I also like a lot. Racing Ralphs are my favorite tire in this category since they offer a bit more grip than the Ikon, however they do wear quickly and can get expensive as an everyday tire...

    Some others I have yet to try:

    -RaceKing 2.0 - 630 grams
    -Spesh Renegade - 530 grams
    -Spesh Fast track (s-works) - 570 grams
    -Bontrager XR1 560 grams
    -Bontrager 29-1 2.0 540 grams
    -Stans Crow 480 grams
    -Stans Raven 2.2 550 grams
    -Max Aspen - 530 grams
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,688
    The Racing Ralph Performance version is a single harder ORC off road compound. Same configuration as the Evo so it goes as fast. It is long wearing in my experience and offers good traction on hardpack at 20-25psi. Best is the price-- 34.10 at Cycleclub for 29x2.25 610g.

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I know I cant be alone thinking that 29er tires are particularly important, especially since tire weight is more dramatic on 29ers than a 26" wheel. For about a year now Ive been holding my breath for manufacturers to catch on to this more than they have for us XC/Trail guys and offer some more options in the 600 gram or under weight category...

    A popular favorite in this group would likely be the Ikon, which I also like a lot. Racing Ralphs are my favorite tire in this category since they offer a bit more grip than the Ikon, however they do wear quickly and can get expensive as an everyday tire...

    Some others I have yet to try:

    -RaceKing 2.0 - 630 grams
    -Spesh Renegade - 530 grams
    -Spesh Fast track (s-works) - 570 grams
    -Bontrager XR1 560 grams
    -Bontrager 29-1 2.0 540 grams
    -Stans Crow 480 grams
    -Stans Raven 2.2 550 grams
    -Max Aspen - 530 grams
    I do not consider any of those treads to be very useful as trail tires. i will gladly take the "extra" weight to gain all-round grip.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Racing Ralph Performance version is a single harder ORC off road compound. Same configuration as the Evo so it goes as fast. It is long wearing in my experience and offers good traction on hardpack at 20-25psi. Best is the price-- 34.10 at Cycleclub for 29x2.25 610g.
    Good point about the performance line.

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I do not consider any of those treads to be very useful as trail tires. i will gladly take the "extra" weight to gain all-round grip.
    I understand, but thats why were talking about XC racelite tires and not your typical trail tires.

    I myself and curious about stans tires, anyone provide feedback on the crows, or ravens?
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    204
    I've got the renegades on my stumpjumper hardtail, an Sworks in the front, and a control on the rear. I'm pleasently surprised. I almost replaced them before the first ride but i'm glad I didn't. They grip surprisingly well and roll extremely fast. I don't expect them to last very long though, especially since I ride a couple miles on the road to get to the trails near my house. when the rear wears out, I'll probably rotate the front to the rear and put a Specialized Fast Track on the front, its my favorite "XC Lite" tire that I've ridden.

    So far my only (stupid and minor) gripe is that the Renegades are LOUD on the road, its 15 minutes of deafening noise until I get to the trailhead.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    113
    I've never personally ridden Stans tires, but have ridden with people who have. They don't seem to have a whole lot of grip and don't wear too well. Within a few months of riding (not continuous) you could see through the sidewall and differentiate your finger from fingernail YMMV though

  7. #7
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,731
    The Stans tires have a super small knob. Imagine a Kenda Karma. Now cut the knob by 1/2 and 3/4 to get the Crow and Raven.

    Great for hardpack, race days, but definitely not an everyday tire IMO/E.

  8. #8
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Thanks for the feedback on the Stans tires exactly what I needed to know!
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    346
    I like Crossmarks. You can run the Ignitor front and Crossmark rear for decent grip in front and good rolling in back. Not that heavy either. 590-610g each.

  10. #10
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,810
    I'm currently rolling S-Works Ground Control tires, front and rear, 29X2.1, 590 grams each. No sliding out with these.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I like Crossmarks. You can run the Ignitor front and Crossmark rear for decent grip in front and good rolling in back. Not that heavy either. 590-610g each.
    +1. The ignitor is one of my favorite front tires. I run an ignitor in front and a nanoraptor in the rear.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •