Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Fat 29" tires ~2.4-2.5"

Hi guys. Im looking for som fat tires for my trek superfly 100, and i have the conti MK 2.4 on my superfly hardtail. I really like these alot, but want a bit thicker to be able to lower pressure and the extra damping. Been thinking of Conti TrailKing 2.4, Maxxis Minions 2.5 and Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35. Any input?

The use is singletrack in the western norway, in other words, wet roots and rocks, and some mud.

Fra iPhone

Is dang happy!
    I have tried the Dampf, Racing Ralph, 2.4 Ardent and some others but like the OnOne Chunky Monkeys the best. Some of the Conti tires I have used in the past have run a tad small, not sure about the TrailKings. My ChunkyMonkey was 25g less than a Hans Dampf I had BTW.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

unrooted
    I have the Ardents in 2.4, front and rear. The front one is doing great but the rear seems to be getting torn up fast.

For me the front tire can be pretty light, but the rear needs to be a lot stiffer. I was running the specialized Purgatory 2.3 UST, which held up really well and has very stiff sidewalls, but weight over 1000 grams!

I would like to find something that is tougher than the Ardent, but also not terribly heavy. From what I've read the Conti tires don't measure at the stated size and tend to be a little wimpy, but they are certainly lighter. . .
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Fat 29" tires ~2.4-2.5"

How's the wet traction?

Fra iPhone

mtbr member
    I haven't had the Monkeys in hand, so I can't comment, but the 2.5 Minions have beefier sidewalls than most. Great tread pattern too, it's hard to go wrong with them unless you're in sticky mud.

Is dang happy!
    Soft compound on the CM is great on the wet roots, It is not a mud specific tire so if you ride in the gumbo I would try something else.
    It has the same as casing a the Maxxis Ardent EXO which is not a DH tire but relatively strong. At $30 shipped it is a great deal IMO.

mtbr member
    geax gato - 2.3 but bigger than and ardent 2.4.

fantastic in the scottish mud - 10/10.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Fat 29" tires ~2.4-2.5"

And on wet roots and rocks?

Fra iPhone

mtbr member
    i ride in all weather in mostly open moorland/gravel/spaghetti bolognese. the gatos have been great on everything ive encountered. not many sections are root or rocks laden but ive never been happier with a tyre. (i found ardents to be lethal). faceplant a-go-go.

im on a rigid with p35/blunts. even at low 19/21 they are quick and clear instantly. even nippy on odd bits of road to get to the good stuff.

worth a try i'd suggest, i got a wire pair to try out a few years back for 18 (charlie bikemonger) each and havent looked back. run a knard up front just now whilst i wait for the dirt wizard just because im seeing the benefit of bigger and bigger volume. the gato does seem to be just about a perfect balance between float/grip and zip though...

mtbr member
    When the dirt wizard 2.75 is released give it a go.

ready to ride
    The Chunky Monkey's are a beast. I only have a few rides on it as a front but those rides were in pretty harsh conditions. On day was lots of ice, granite slick rock, loose over hard pack, roots, mud, and sand. All I can say is wow. Grip and traction is an understatement. Not excellent at shedding clayey mud but not bad either. Loamy mud should shed well. It too is my understanding that they are built on the Ardent 2.4 EXO casing. They are a true 2.4 on a narrow rim.

I like both the Conti MKII 2.4 and the TrailKings 2.4 but they are both a bit shy of 2.4. Which is a shame because the trailking 26x2.4 are some seriously beefy tires. Still great tires IMO but probably not the volume you want.
    Last edited by mattnmtns; 01-08-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    When the dirt wizard 2.75 is released give it a go.
    It says it'll require 36mm rims... My bontrager wheels are 19mm inner (24mm outer)

Will i have problems with for instance the chunky monkey on these? Is it worth it for me to buy some wider rims for better cornering?

psycho cyclo addict

2.4 isn't all that fat...

Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    It says it'll require 36mm rims... My bontrager wheels are 19mm inner (24mm outer)

Will i have problems with for instance the chunky monkey on these? Is it worth it for me to buy some wider rims for better cornering?
    If your fork can accommodate... Surly Knard 3.0 is awesome (this one is mounted on a Bontrager Duster rim (28mm outer) and comes out to 2.71" mounted on there). I run it at 10-12 PSI on bumpy stuff and snow (195 lb. rider). It took me ~20 minutes to get it setup tubeless with a Bonty symmetric rim strip using an air compressor (all other tires in my herd were setup with a floor pump and no major battles). The front rim looks like a roadie wheel now with all that rubber volume around it.

I've got a RaRa 2.4 on the rear (and had one on the front as well).

Fat 29" tires ~2.4-2.5"-halffat.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ok, but arent you worried about the bead grip when using so narrow rims? sure looks beefy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Fat 29" tires ~2.4-2.5"

This is my winter setup. Nokian extreme 2.1" with 300 spikes.

Fra iPhone

mtbr member

I can't imagine you having trouble with the Chunky Monkey on your rims. Yes, a lot of folks prefer wider rims for a variety of reasons, tire support/stability amongst those reasons. One thing to note, the Chunky is not rated as tubeless specific. I've been running mine tubeless with great results on Flow rims. If tubeless systems are important to you, I believe there is a tubeless version of the Gato.

Otherwise, I've been promoting the Chunky Monkey for going on a year now. I've been riding mine in wet PNW conditions, tubeless, and have nothing but great things to say about them.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Lovin Chunky Monkeys here in Arizona for awhile now. Big Comfy durable. I way prefer
    the CM on a flow over my Knard on 50mm rim.
    Dan

mtbr member

skinny rims need not apply for the new dw 2.75. 35mm & up for proper fitment. The more i read the more rim width is increasing so yes it would seem a good idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have to check my clearance when I get home, but what will be a good choice for 2.4" ish tires on my bike (2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL pro). Complete wheels are damn expensive, but it seems like a pain in the ass to change the rims too...

The only relevant I can find at the moment is the Velocity Blunt 35...
    Last edited by mykle; 01-09-2014 at 05:30 AM.

mtbr member
    I have to check my clearance when I get home, but what will be a good choice for 2.4" ish tires on my bike (2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL pro). Complete wheels are damn expensive, but it seems like a pain in the ass to change the rims too...
    Your stock rims will be ok for 2.4 tires. If your inclined to use something bigger then yes 25mm rims or wider would be the way. As slow danger mentions people are using wider rims for improved support most recently so it gives you something to think about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    if clearance is a close call then going to a wider rim may push you over the limit. i have Ardent 2.4's mounted on P35's. a friend has the same tire on a more traditional width rim (i don't know exactly what rim). We put our bikes nose to nose last week to compare tire profiles and they didn't even look like the same tire. mine looked big, fat and meaty and his just looked like a tire.

I realize i'm lacking important details but all i'm saying is be careful about going to wide rim AND a big casing if you think clearance may be an issue on your existing rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any tips on how to build the cheapest P35 wheels with 15mm front and 142x12mm 10 speed rear?

Is dang happy!
    Any tips on how to build the cheapest P35 wheels with 15mm front and 142x12mm 10 speed rear?
    A 600 gram rim is not what I would choose for a XC bike.
    Have you looked at the light-bicycle wide (30mm) and extrawide (35mm) wheels?
    They would probably drop more than a lb from what you are on and be much stiffer/wider too.

*edit.* Bontrager Race lights are fairly light wheels, you would only drop 1/2 of a lb. according to bonty specs...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    CFRP rims are a bit out of my price range unfortunately :/ Not doing any competitions or anything, so the extra 500g will only make me in better shape

Is dang happy!
    Since you are on a budget I will add that you will notice the extra width on the front much more than the rear.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast