mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Fastest 29er tire besides schwalbe big apple?

Hi,
    I just bought a Salsa Timberjack and replaced the stock WTB Ranger tires with a set of Schwalbe Big Apples (29x2.0) for urban riding. I'm not at all liking the look of the Big Apples and want something that's comparable in regards to rolling resistance. Does anybody know of a tire that's still fast for pavement and light gravel riding and is preferably 2.1-2.25 inches in width? I've looked at conti race kings as well as thunder burts but just don't know how fast they'll be. For anybody with a timberjack, would a Big Apple 29x2.35 fit with enough clearance? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have read a lot of good about the Vittoria mezcal
    https://www.vittoria.com/tire/mezcal/

transmitter~receiver
    big apples are not great for rolling resistance
    Supermoto!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

WillWorkForTrail
    You might get more luck/experience faster with gravel tires over at Riding Gravel - The Home of Gravel Cycling on their forums. It's kinda what they specialize in. My "gravel bike" which is also my "road bike" which really isn't either of those things will only clear a 32c tire, so I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience in the size range you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm really happy with Conti Race King Protection 2.2 as a tire for my do everything Fargo. The rolling resistance site (www.bicyclerollingresistance.com) supports my thinking it's a really fast MTB tire.

Some I know like the Bongrager XR0 or 1 for gravel and pavement.

My Kenda Small Block 8 ownership has me thinking the rolling resistance site is meaningful. It's slow compared to that Conti in their tests and same for how it feels on my bike.

I believe the Schwalbe Thunder Bert and Race Sport version of the Race King are the fastest in the tests. I'm happy with the Race King because it's tougher and made as tubeless compatible.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    I've got 2.5 hookworms that i like.

mtbr member
    Spec Renegades are very fast tires.

Live Free & Ride
    If you can find one - The Schw. Big One 2.35 @ 550 g. is fast! Was thinking of using this tire on my 29er for gravel/road to speed things up a bit. Check it out on Amazon too....it is pricey at $60/tire.

Tire Test - Schwalbe Big One LiteSkin:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...e-big-one-2016

New replacement: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...es/G-ONE_Speed

What about Schwalbe's claim of the Big One being their fastest tire ever produced? I didn't test the Big One in a tubeless configuration, but when taking the numbers from my Tubeless Vs Latex Vs Butyl article, rolling resistance at 55 psi should be close to 9.3 watts. Even at the much lower air pressure of 25 psi, rolling resistance should be close to 10.8 watts when used in a tubeless configuration. This really is an insanely fast tire.
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    If your riding on the street you want some sort of slick. I've been running the big apple liteskin for 8 years. They are the same as the new supermoto's. Micro knobbies are your next best bet, but they will wear out fast.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Lazy People Suck
    Bontrager XR0's are the fastest tires that I have ridden. 420 grams and traction is acceptable. I have ridden several 60 mile races on them without a flat.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    If you can find one - The Schw. Big One 2.35 @ 550 g. is fast! Was thinking of using this tire on my 29er for gravel/road to speed things up a bit. Check it out on Amazon too....it is pricey at $60/tire.

Tire Test - Schwalbe Big One LiteSkin:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...e-big-one-2016

New replacement: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...es/G-ONE_Speed

What about Schwalbe's claim of the Big One being their fastest tire ever produced? I didn't test the Big One in a tubeless configuration, but when taking the numbers from my Tubeless Vs Latex Vs Butyl article, rolling resistance at 55 psi should be close to 9.3 watts. Even at the much lower air pressure of 25 psi, rolling resistance should be close to 10.8 watts when used in a tubeless configuration. This really is an insanely fast tire.
    I've got these on a commuter, and yeah, they are fast. Faster than the 30C Marathon that used to be on there, and more comfortable. Stupid amounts of grip in the corners, even on hardpacked dirt. I have them on Stan's Arch rims with tubes, and I'd prefer a little wider rim, to be honest. I got mine at CRC on sale for ~$50 CAD shipped.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

Merendon Junkie
    Maxxis ikon would seem like a good choice since you are also riding gravel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like my geax tattoo's in 29x2.3. Sort of a knurled inverse tread thing. Maxxis makes a grifter and vee rubber makes some slick types as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had good luck with RaceKings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Big One or G-One. i run them as a street/gravel tire. no comparisons to even a road bike and at 2.35" width they have lots of cushion for seams and small bumps. an they are silent. like eerily silent. even more quiet than a road tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fastest 29er tire besides schwalbe big apple?-fat-bike-slicks-2.jpg  

Fastest 29er tire besides schwalbe big apple?-fat-bike-slicks-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    G-One by a mile. Nothing can touch them on pavement. They offer surprising grip too for gravel or even fireroads. But they really shine on the street.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Nutrailer
    I found Continental X Kings (with Protection sidewalls) rolled well when compared to Mountain Kings and Specialized Fast Tracks but YMMV

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post
    I've got 2.5 hookworms that i like.
    I have about 3000 or more miles on a set of 29 x 2.5 maxxis hookworm tires. They are even fast at 14 psi. I use different pressure for whatever type of riding I will be doing. Great tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Maxxis Torch is another consideration for pavement... they're fast. Geax (now Vittiria) Mezcal is good for gravel, and the Conti RaceKing's are a good all-arounder. I prefer the RK's for hardpack trails.