29er
    Apr 2010

faster tire than racing ralph?

I have a 2.25 evo snakeskin on the rear of my bike
    love the puncture resistance, has tons of grip, and is pretty fast
    anything out there that has less rolling resistance and good puncture resistance

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The short answer is no.

If you go onto the wheels and tyres forum, there is a sticky on tyre rolling resistance. The gist of the thread was that after the RaRa, you go to Furious Freds, Maxxis 310's and the like. They will be faster for sure, but will also get you into trouble faster if you have to do things like brake or go around corners.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Continental raceking are pretty fast but only good for dry conditions...

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ikon. According to a rolling resistance test i saw showed the Ikon to be just slower than the RaRa. My issue with that test was that it was done at 2.5 bar (36-37lbs). At any pressure above 33lbs on the RaRa, i get horrible climbing traction. I usually run about 27-30lbs and find the Ikon to roll faster and grip as well than the RaRa at this pressure. Unfortunately, they don't make the Ikon in 650b or it would be on the rear of my SS.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Maxxis Ikon. According to a rolling resistance test i saw showed the Ikon to be just slower than the RaRa. My issue with that test was that it was done at 2.5 bar (36-37lbs). At any pressure above 33lbs on the RaRa, i get horrible climbing traction. I usually run about 27-30lbs and find the Ikon to roll faster and grip as well than the RaRa at this pressure. Unfortunately, they don't make the Ikon in 650b or it would be on the rear of my SS.
    I have found the Ra Ra to roll much better & have a heap more grip.

I run 24Ib front & 20 Rear.

nothing to see here
    I've found the stans raven to be lighter, quicker and good sidewalk strength but lacks a little grip on loose over hardpack and mud. Strangely better grip on wet roots than the ralph.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    I've found the stans raven to be lighter, quicker and good sidewalk strength

mtbr member
    Have you thought about cutting down the center knobs of the RaRa ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Have you thought about cutting down the center knobs of the RaRa ?
    Too much trouble. Ride it up an asphalt climb. That'll knock it out real quick. I've done it to great results - not that I meant to.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Specialized Fast Trak Control is a really good rear tire. It doesn't have quite as much grip as the RaRa, but I think it feels a bit more predictable as it's leaned over.

I'm also a fan of the Ikons.

mtbr member
    I'm on the same boat, got a Renegade 1.95 on the garage... Gonna try 2.25 Racing Ralph Front and the Renegade on the rear

mtbr member
    Rocket Rons are a tad lighter than Ra Ra's so they maybe the only thing in this size and width that can compete. furious freds are the fastest but they do not have much for strength and reliability. The first ride I had with my freds, they punctured but Stan's goop was good enough to stop it. Ebay has had some good deals on Schwalbe.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    I'm on the same boat, got a Renegade 1.95 on the garage... Gonna try 2.25 Racing Ralph Front and the Renegade on the rear
    Not a big fan of the RaRa up front. Couldn't get it dialed in tubed or tubeless no matter what the pressure. Wash out city on corners.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    I'm running Rocket Ron 2.25 front and Renegade 1.95 rear on my XTC. I like this combo for the trails in metro and north Georgia. They roll really fast. The renegades don't seem to be the most durable, but they are pretty light. I have the RA,RA 2.25 on my Anthem and I'm not really loving that setup, maybe its because I'm carrying alot more speed because they seem to slide around than the ro ro, Rene combo, I don't know. I'll try the Rocket Ron/ Renegade on the Anthem soon.
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No there is not. I noticed a real improvement in grip and speed of the 2012 Ralph vs the 2011 Ralph.

Formerly of Kent
    Bontrager 29-0.

I had the XR-0 on the back of my Anthem 26" and was blown away by how much traction it has for a seemingly treadless tire. High volume for a 2.1, too. Also, very impressed with durability for what should be an all out racing tire.