mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Enve wheelset question

Does anyone know the rider weight limits of the Enve xc 29 and the am 29 wheelsets ?

I currently have the newer tubeless version of the xc 29 with 28 holes and I ran them on more of an xc build. I am building more of a an all mountain /lite freeride bike and wonder if they will hold up to rougher abuse and jumping , etc .

I am 180 off the bike .

thanks Scab

mtbr member
    At 180 you're nowhere near the upper limit for ENVE rims. But I'd say your major issue is going to be rim width; you'll want the wider AM rims to properly support larger tires for aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't think that ENVE has a weight limit on their rims. I'm 235 lbs and have been riding a 32h XC set for a year now with no issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    considering a set of these with a lefty build. any experiences? advice? hubs? i'm 220 and ride xc, not too rough on stuff with big drops etc... i'm not a racer so not sure if these are overkill. just have read they feel great. i'm on sunringle inferno 25 now running tubeless. my front tire has exploded off the rim 2x at 32psi so i have very little confidence in this set up. just don't trust it at all. my lbs says it's a manufacturing defect in tire (schwalbe racing ron) and they will replace. the same guy also assured me this would never happen if their shop set up the tubeless as i asked before buying the bike. i had read on another thread the sr inferno 25/schwalbe set up had this issue. just not sure what to believe.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    230lb, AM/32h/240s/Lefty/Aerolite, very tough. I loves the chunk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks guys for some answers to my questions . I am not really concerned with the width of the rim because I will be running the same tire that I ran on the xc bike before . I ran the bronson 2.2 on my Tallboy-c and I will run the same tire on my TB LTc when I get it . I am glad to hear that I should be well below the weight limit .

thanks again Scab

Niner21
    Do you guys think a 28h xc rim will be ok for a 210lb rider?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So I gave Enve a call on Monday and have not had a chance to put their answer on the forum :

The tech I talked to said there is not a weight limit on any of there wheelsets , 28 or 32 hole and he said that the xc and am are the same exact strength . The only difference is that the am will make a wider tire profile a little better . I have been running 2.2's on my xc wheelset and I think the tire profile and width are perfect .

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So do you think it's reasonable to use a 28h XC rim (210lb guy) for aggressive xc/trail riding on a FS 4" XC bike? Roots and rocks, small jumps - Santa cruz, CA: trail riding
    Last edited by pzwinakis; 09-21-2012 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pzwinakis View Post
    So do you think it's reasonable to use a 28h XC rim (210lb guy) for aggressive trail riding on a FS 4" XC bike?
    I would go with the AM if I were you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a set of the AM 650bs coming for a mojo hd convert I am building for the same purposes. Let you know when I have them built. Email Jayson at probikesupply.com, best prices in the industry.