mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Enve AM rims.....then the Derby non-HD 29er rims

In the midst of piecing together several winter projects for myself and a buddy, and the wheelsets are always a fun paralysis by analysis issue with me. I lean toward the frugal side of things while the other guy is interested in the Enve AM.

I was reading the mfg's site about rim weight (444 claimed for the 29er AM) and external vs internal width.

Then I popped over to derbyrims and noticed their 35mm wide non-HD rim is wider external and internal.....and obviously costs a lot less than Enve.

I know what is behind Enve's pricing; compared to the popular Light Bicycle rims the Derby option seems spendy, but compared to an Enve it's a bargain, one that is backed by a reputable forum member's expertise even though they are in affect a "Cheap Chinese Carbon rim". Not to start a VERSUS thread, but other than marketing and cool logos is there any reason not to consider a derby rim versus a Enve AM 29 rim?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I have a set of older Enve/Edge AM wheels and they're great! I also had a chance to see Derby and his rims at Interbike this year, and the Derby rims have a similar cross section to the Enve rims (except for the lack of a bead hook on the Derby rims). The Derby rims look like a bigger version of the Enve rims. I can't say what the differences are in ride quality and the durability between the two. But I'm planning one replacing the Enve wheels on my Sultan with the Derby rims in the not too distant future.

Nuts
    You should check out Nox Composites as well, very very nice hoops!!

Nox Composites
    And I love beer!!

This place needs an enema
    The only reason to omit Derby rims from consideration is if you're not after the added width. Some like 'em narrow, and Derby rims are not for them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    mikesee, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of the added width. Like the OP,I'm considering the Derby rim against the upcoming hookless LB rim. And as a frugal-leaning person I wonder if the extra width is worth the extra cost.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

change is good
    Sep 2004

Enve AM rims.....then the Derby non-HD 29er rims

My ENVE wheels are stellar but there was some annoyances.
    1. Replacement brass nipples were freakishly expensive.
    2. Valve stems are expensive AND fragile.
    3. Tubeless kit is a rip off.
    So Stan's valves and hardware store tape from now on. I suspect I will have this same wheel set ten years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    mikesee, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of the added width. Like the OP,I'm considering the Derby rim against the upcoming hookless LB rim. And as a frugal-leaning person I wonder if the extra width is worth the extra cost.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    All depends on you--as in where/what/how you ride. I like wide rims because they square out the tire's profile, giving me added tread on the ground relative to the same tire on a narrower rim. I also like that I can run lower pressures without tire squirm.

Cons to added width? More tread on the ground has to mean added rolling resistance, so if you're a racer or concerned with speed then narrower might be better.

Cheers,

MC