Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

ENVE 50 vs. Stan's Valor

Why would I purchase a pair of ENVE 50 laced up with DT 180 for XC Racing @ 1289 grams and $3300 when I can get a pair of Stan's Valor @ 1230 grams for $1900? Am I missing something?
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Just that ENVE are overpriced.

The hubs on the stans aren't as nice, but for the extra cash we aren't pros here.

In a few minutes someone's gonna pop up on here and tell you their hero ENVE story of how the jumped a cliff, weren't even using tires that day and the rim came away unscathed.

And that's why you need to pay 3k. I have a bridge I can sell you too.

ENVE will need to start getting realistic now that many carbon wheel brands are out along with Chinese companies such as Light Bicycle selling direct at cheap prices for decent rims.

There is a sucker born each day....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Why not?

Why do need a "fancy" mountain bike when a Walmart special will do?

Why spend $1900 on wheels period?

Because it's a hobby and we all spend crazy stupid money on it.

There is no justification.

But, unless the Stans rims are made in the USA it's not a true apples to apples comparision. Not to mention DT 180 Hubs are $$$.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

ENVE 50 vs. Stan's Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Why not?

Why do need a "fancy" mountain bike when a Walmart special will do?

Why spend $1900 on wheels period?

Because it's a hobby and we all spend crazy stupid money on it.

There is no justification.

But, unless the Stans rims are made in the USA it's not a true apples to apples comparision. Not to mention DT 180 Hubs are $$$.
    So from you point of view, Stan's is the walmart bike and ENVE is the specialized? They are going to fall apart on me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

ENVE 50 vs. Stan's Valor

To be fair, we aren't comparing Chinese carbon rims vs. ENVEs. We are comparing ENVEs closest competitor in terms of volume.

'14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not at all. I own/run both Stans and Enve wheels. I think they are both great products.

I said that to illustrate the fact that if you mentioned to anyone outside of the biking community that you were going to buy "bicycle wheels" for $1900 they would think you are nuts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wouldn't compare Enve to Specialized, that's just mean

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    From Bike Radar:

"NoTubes readily admits that there are stiffer carbon wheels on the market. The design goal for the Valor was to balance weight and stiffness in an XC-oriented package."

I don't think you'll find anyone that says the same about Enve's in terms of stiffness.

Like I said, not really apples to apples.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

ENVE 50 vs. Stan's Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Not at all. I own/run both Stans and Enve wheels. I think they are both great products.

I said that to illustrate the fact that if you mentioned to anyone outside of the biking community that you were going to buy "bicycle wheels" for $1900 they would think you are nuts.
    Fair point, however, my post wasn't necessarily directed towards people looking for bargains. We all know spending $1900 for rims is nuts. But there are advantages to carbon rims and some people who race consider them worth it. My point being, of those subset of racers who see the advantage, why would anyone give ENVE their business at 2x the price? (I understand hubs, but they shouldn't be that different in price).

'14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    To be clear, I'm not arguing for one versus the other.

I'm not a 140lb XC racer, so I value stiffness over weight and have no business riding a 1230g wheelset even on a road bike.

mtbr member
    Ha
    People at work think I'm nuts for spending $40 on a saddle. They tell me about their awesome wally world bike for $80 on sale and it came with a big cushy saddle.

I feel so dumb after this.

I don't tell non-bike people what I really spend on my bikes. They don't get it.

But really, we are nuts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Also, Stan's website lists the weight of the Valor at 1320-1350g now. So the Enve's are lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't have an " Enve saved me from a burning building story" but, they did replace a 4-5 year old wheel that I bought second hand no questions asked with a brand spankin' new one. So maybe that counts for something?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Meh. The same can be said about any disposable income hobby. I used to ski, and even I think skiing is silly expensive. Golf? Those carbon fiber clubs are going to increase your game the same amount a carbon frame will increase my trail speed: .1 percent
    How about snowmobiles/dirtbikes? Know anyone into boating?

With that said, Enve's are a premium product that will treat you like an Amex Black card. Brake rim? Call 'em up and they'll happily take care of you. With that said, it is well past the inflection point on the value curve. A set of Derby's and Hopes will get you most of what you're looking for at half the cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

ENVE 50 vs. Stan's Valor

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post

With that said, Enve's are a premium product that will treat you like an Amex Black card. Brake rim? Call 'em up and they'll happily take care of you. With that said, it is well past the inflection point on the value curve. A set of Derby's and Hopes will get you most of what you're looking for at half the cost.
    Thanks car_nut, this was exactly the point of my post. If the difference is stiffer rim, hub choices, and great customer service then it's a judgment call on whether those features are worth the premium. I just wanted to quantify the differences so buyers could make an educated decision.

'14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty2341 View Post
    If the difference is stiffer rim, hub choices, and great customer service then it's a judgment call on whether those features are worth the premium.

That's pretty much the difference

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    I sell a number of these companies wheels. I like dealing with both.

ENVE now has multiple carbon rims to choose from, and a choice of 3 hubs. Makes the Valor price difference not a big advantage.
    Last edited by Bikerbob.com; 04-08-2014 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Interesting comments all round, I am interested in the Stans for the ride quality they are said to give over a super stiff carbon wheelset like Enve. Will wait and see how they go once they are available and decide from there if they are worth going for over an aluminium wheelset. Been running Stans Crest as a XC wheelset on my 26er and just about to buy a 429C as a race bike. The Crest is quite flexy in cornering but I like the sound of the way the Valor's give.

Been racing XC on and off for 26 years so have seen my fair share of trends and always wait to see what works before jumping in. Carbon wheels have been around for ages and I have waited out this one too.

Good topic as wheels are one of the considerations I have been making in regards to the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
    Interesting comments all round, I am interested in the Stans for the ride quality they are said to give over a super stiff carbon wheelset like Enve. Will wait and see how they go once they are available and decide from there if they are worth going for over an aluminium wheelset. Been running Stans Crest as a XC wheelset on my 26er and just about to buy a 429C as a race bike. The Crest is quite flexy in cornering but I like the sound of the way the Valor's give.

Been racing XC on and off for 26 years so have seen my fair share of trends and always wait to see what works before jumping in. Carbon wheels have been around for ages and I have waited out this one too.

Good topic as wheels are one of the considerations I have been making in regards to the new bike.
    Give in wheels vs harshness is more important on a hardtail. FS bikes have a rear suspension for that and can make more use of a stiff wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Update: Stan's website now says the 29er Valor set are 1320g vs. previous mentioned 1230g. Given this is Stan's first go at carbon wheels, I am a bit hesitant seeing that release date has been pushed out and weight has been increasing. Makes me wonder what they are finding out in the testing phase.

Also found out that ENVE DT hub options are center lock, so you'll need an adapter for your 6 bolt rotors. I don't think ENVE come taped w/ valve stems either (minor gripe, but still a difference).
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    I know people have a love hate of Reynolds, but for me I like them and their CS is awesome. I have raced on them and ride some pretty rough trails on them and they have not been a bad wheel set at all. I did send the rear back to Reynolds for them to get it trued right after I lost a spoke and LBS could not get it right. They relaced it and replaced the rear hub all for under $100. Most of that cost was shipping out and back.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am also considering both - I wish they were separated by $400-$500 - NOT $1400. I do believe that frame and wheels 'make' the bike.
    Seems there is an assumption in the prior posts that ENVE provided superior customer service to Stan's. Not sure that is true. Also, I understand Stans to be made in USA, like Enve.
    I think a major benefit to Stans is their purpose built beadlock rim for tubless. The loud snap as the tire inflates is perfection for us tubless geeks.
    The major benefit to Enve is their many years of dedicated carbon wheel manufacturing. This is gen 2 of xc specific wheels for Enve vs a first attempt at Stans. But man, $1400 buys me a lot of craft beer.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Stan has some giant nuts. 2k for rims likely made alongside the ones light bikes sells and those crap taiwan hubs ? LOL

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1 View Post
    Also, I understand Stans to be made in USA, like Enve.
    Not a chance.

mtbr member

Re: ENVE 50 vs. Stan's Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
    Comfort from rims? Mike Burrows says you're full of ****. I believe an old dude with a British accent over anyone else any day of the week. No seriously, this guy's knows his stuff. Check his videos out.

http://m.bikeradar.com/road/news/art...-comfort-39661

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast