Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enve 29 xc

mtbr member
    May 2010

Enve 29 xc

I've finally gotten enough miles on the ENVE 29XCs (with DT 240 hubs and DT Aerolite bladed spokes) that I feel comfortable giving an initial review.

They're awesome.

With my incredibly burdensome 150 pounds weighing them down (), they're incredibly stiff and responsive. 36T upgrade in the rear hub means a maximum of 10 degrees of rotation before engagement. They spin up faster and easier than any mountain wheels I've ever ridden. Spoke tension has remained about perfectly even (to the extent it is possible to determine the same by feel). No issues of any kind as of yet. Sealed up tubeless easily with a set of Maxxis Ikon EXOs and the ENVE branded tubeless tape (which just seems like heavier duty Stans).

Full details on ye old blog.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks. Looks like a high quality spearfish 1 build. Full pics and weight would be appreciated too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner View Post
    Thanks. Looks like a high quality spearfish 1 build. Full pics and weight would be appreciated too.
    Around 25 pounds.

Full build details.

The Missing
    May 2007
    [QUOTE=lawfarm;9592645]I've finally gotten enough miles on the ENVE 29XCs (with DT 240 hubs and DT Aerolite bladed spokes) that I feel comfortable giving an initial review.

They're awesome.

Nice review in regards to the wheels "stiffness" did you notice any improvement in handling ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pernfilman View Post
    Nice review in regards to the wheels "stiffness" did you notice any improvement in handling ?
    These are the wheels that the Superfish was built up with. So I'm comparing the Superfish, with a 15MM maxle up front and a 12x142 rear end with a Rumblefish with a 15mm maxle and Trek's ABP specific skewer setup in rear...and a series of earlier MTBs with traditional skewers.

I've had a host of wheels, including a bunch of Bontragers and, most recently, a set of Easton Havens.

To be honest...the biggest difference in handling comes from weight reduction. They are snappier in every regard because they are so light--there is an amazing reduction in their...momentum? Turning, hucking, whatever...super easy.

The rigidity of the wheels is also apparent when cornering hard. To be fair, I'm not a heavy rider, so I'm not coming close to challenging these. But when I ride hard, there is no palpable deflection in the wheels. They're just there. Bomber.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sweet! I just put in an order at Enve for a set of these wheels. I can't wait to get them.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    meh

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    wow

mtbr member
    Thats funny I have the same bike and the same wheels ,but the whels are on a different bike. There n my Stump single speed and yes they are just that amazing.
    The stock Spearfish isnt lacking at all its a great bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    meh
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    wow
    All your posts this informative?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    All your posts this informative?
    the "meh" was my thoughts on the overpriced wheels.

my "wow" was for the neg rep the op gave me for the "meh" opinion.

sensitive wheel owner.
    Last edited by bt; 08-17-2012 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Whoa...OP did not give out any rep--negative or positive. You're completely entitled to your opinion...I didn't even see you had posted Meh until TwoTone posted.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Seriously...not a sensitive wheel owner. I'm not sure who neg-repped you (or if you can tell), but it seriously wasn't me.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    no worries lawfarm.

my apologies for assuming it was you.

mtbr member
    Great review! Thanks for sharing. I like the hub upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    28 or 32 hole?

What spoke pattern front & back?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My wife has been riding a set of the Enve XC 29ers all season and also loves them. More importantly, she hasn't been able to destroy them, yet

She's notoriously hard on wheels, last year she toasted two Crests (26") and early this year she tacoed a Specialized 29er Roval SL, yes... actually tacoed it. Admittedly there was a flaw in the rim and it was replaced under warranty... but still, she has a history

I've been riding the Rovals the whole season with no issues, and I weight a LOT more than she does. But, the other day I was trying to track down a strange creak on my bike and decided to swap her Enve wheels over. I can tell you that the Enves are like night and day different than the Rovals in the stiffness department (the Even set is 28 hole to King hubs). I thought the Rovals were pretty good (coming off of Crests) until that moment.

Needless to say, next year I'll be buying some Enve! I only wish the rims were a bit wider.

The Missing
    May 2007
    As we reduce spoke count are wheel builders using "stronger" spokes to accommodate the fewer count spoke count? I like the idea of a lighter wheel build and using less spoke count but not at the sacrifice of stiffness. Or is the rigidity of the carbon so great that higher spoke count is not needed ?
    Last edited by pernfilman; 08-27-2012 at 11:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a set of 29 XC with 28 spokes on order. They will be coming in two weeks. Can't wait!!

They should look good on my new Epic whenever the hell it gets here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Where did you order the rims?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    From ENVE directly. I actually was the runner up in their contest they just had...so I shouldn't say I ordered them...they are being sent to me

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by pernfilman View Post
    Or is the rigidity of the carbon so great that higher spoke count is not needed ?
    Exactly this. These days, I think it is becoming possible to build wheels to be too stiff. The rims that Enve is manufacturing are literally no flex which means that a 28 hole (even with a lighter spoke) is still extremely rigid. If you were to up that to a 36 or higher spoke count, I think you would start to inhibit the ride quality of the system.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm highly impressed with my Enve wheels as well (29" 32h XC on DT240s). Race-weight wheels are a dime a dozen these days. These are actually really f*cking strong and stiff. I got mine in March this year, and I've beat the hell out of them in both racing and training. I just finished up the Breck Epic, and they still don't need to be trued. I'm hooked.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I too thought the width was a little too narrow at only 18mm on the inside....I bought the AMs instead. They are still real light at only 440 a rim.

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    My wife has been riding a set of the Enve XC 29ers all season and also loves them. More importantly, she hasn't been able to destroy them, yet

She's notoriously hard on wheels, last year she toasted two Crests (26") and early this year she tacoed a Specialized 29er Roval SL, yes... actually tacoed it. Admittedly there was a flaw in the rim and it was replaced under warranty... but still, she has a history

I've been riding the Rovals the whole season with no issues, and I weight a LOT more than she does. But, the other day I was trying to track down a strange creak on my bike and decided to swap her Enve wheels over. I can tell you that the Enves are like night and day different than the Rovals in the stiffness department (the Even set is 28 hole to King hubs). I thought the Rovals were pretty good (coming off of Crests) until that moment.

Needless to say, next year I'll be buying some Enve! I only wish the rims were a bit wider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast