mtbr member
    Nov 2013

enduro wheelset for 29er

I have stumpy evo 29er I am looking for a wheelset for enduro racing. LBS suggests stans flows with chris kings and dt swiss spokes. I am interested in industry nine as well. I am looking to go tubeless. I am just getting into enduro racing and need something that will take a beating. Have only had bike for a month and have dented stick rims already. I am not looking for carbon. Looking to spend about $1k. What tyres are others running? I am thinking about hans dampf up front but not sure what to run on rear?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by sean m View Post
    I have stumpy evo 29er I am looking for a wheelset for enduro racing. LBS suggests stans flows with chris kings and dt swiss spokes. I am interested in industry nine as well. I am looking to go tubeless. I am just getting into enduro racing and need something that will take a beating. Have only had bike for a month and have dented stick rims already. I am not looking for carbon. Looking to spend about $1k. What tyres are others running? I am thinking about hans dampf up front but not sure what to run on rear?
    I have been very happy with my Flows on Industry Nine hubs & spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bikes from May--
    24 Bikes of the Enduro World Series - Pinkbike
    Bikes from October--
    Bikes of the Enduro World Series - Finale Ligure, Italy - Pinkbike
    These fellow competitors' bike and components choices should give you some ideas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Been using a pair of Industry Nines laced up to Stans Arch rims for just over four seasons so far and have nothing but praise for i9, well worth the investment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's a lot of questions, Sean!

- Tubeless/rims: In there is a bit of a tire type choice. Notubes makes really nice rims, that are real easy to set up tubeless, but lots of UST bead style tires fit way too tight. Schwalbe and Maxxis work well, but be aware that if you choose Notubes, you have somewhat of a limitation of the tires you can run. I run WTB i23 for enduro racing, which are a little bit heavier, but bombproof and easy to set up tubeless too.

Be aware of that denting rims is as much a result of weak rims as too little tire pressure for the volume of tire that you are running. Riding style plays a big part too. A friend of mine made his own life really difficult by running Pacenti TL28's (thin walled...), Nobby Nic 2.35 @ 15 psi, bashing through rock gardens without a lot of finesse... (Yup, Lars, I am talking about you ;-). Although his body weight is really low, you can imagine what will happen.

- Tires: To me, volume is everything, which is why I like the HD. You can run a little less presure, still be safe and as a result have a better roll over rocks and roots. The HD has quite a flexible casing, making it really good at absorbing stuff. I run them on the rear too, but only when conditions allow that, because I have limited frame clearance over there. I use a Pacestar compound version on the rear instead of Trailstar, to make it last a bit longer.

When the ground gets soft enough so that side knobs dig in, I run Maxxis High Roller II. On rock and hardpack, I prefer the HD, because the HR's slightly stiffer casing pings of stuff a bit more and they have less volume. I also like the cornering feel of the HD better on anything but soft soil. Tire choice is quite personal though; a lot of riders prefer a HRII over a HD any day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks. So schwalbe and maxxis fit good on stans?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by sean m View Post
    Thanks. So schwalbe and maxxis fit good on stans?
    Yep

mtbr member
    I'll second the I9's and Flows. 3 years on this set o far and going strong. I also have Kings and Flows and they are also great. You can either set for your price and really can't go wrong whichever you choose.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Anyone run on the 29er ethirteen wheelset?