mtbr member
    Aug 2013

EBB for Raleigh XXIX '12

Hi All,
    I'm pretty new here and am looking for some advice on upgrading the EBB (54mm) on my newly acquired XXIX.

So far 3 manufacturers have told me that their EBBs will not work on a XXIX??? Is this possible?
    Bushnell, PhilWoods and Niner all told me that their EBB's aren't compatible with the XXIX without an explanation!

So, I wanted to pose this question to the forum.
    Has anyone upgraded the EBB on their XXIX?
    (My xxix has the 'spLit' bb with the screws, is this the issue?)

Thanks!
    James
    Last edited by MAZ1; 08-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did you mean "Split" (not spit) shell EBB? I am unsure how those would work with other EBB's. Just thinking to myself here, but if the ID (internal diameter) is 54mm, then I know at least the Bushnell would fit. Then you can tighten down the EBB AND tighten down the EBB shell. I would think it would be much less apt to slip or creak (although I've not had any issues with my Bushnell).

I know the Niners are a little bit bigger (55mm, I think), so they won't work. Even if they did fit, those clamp on the outside of the shell, and since you change the diameter when you clamp down on a split-shell, it may not jive well. I don't know though.

Are you having issues with the current set up? What's wrong with the stock unit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Did you mean "Split" (not spit) shell EBB? I am unsure how those would work with other EBB's. Just thinking to myself here, but if the ID (internal diameter) is 54mm, then I know at least the Bushnell would fit. Then you can tighten down the EBB AND tighten down the EBB shell. I would think it would be much less apt to slip or creak (although I've not had any issues with my Bushnell).

I know the Niners are a little bit bigger (55mm, I think), so they won't work. Even if they did fit, those clamp on the outside of the shell, and since you change the diameter when you clamp down on a split-shell, it may not jive well. I don't know though.

Are you having issues with the current set up? What's wrong with the stock unit?
    Thanks for your info! which confirms most of my initial assumptions.
    I was going for the Bushnell, until I was told (by RodCycle) it wouldn't work?? I think that I have seen another XXIX rider install a Bushnell IIRC. ?
    I was just looking to upgrade the heavy sometimes creeky stock unit.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Ever do the Bushnell install?

I've been researching this, and I was considering getting the split welded up since its the right diameter for the bushnell.

It would be too easy to have a bike fabricator, or even a machine shop weld it up.