mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Easton EA90 XC vs Custom DT Swiss 350 Arch Ex Build

I weigh 190-200lbs and ride my FSR 29er mostly XC/All mountain in the southwest. I run tubeless and terrain is often filled with sharp rocks. My stock rims have been damaged beyond just truing to straighten.

My question is which is a better wheel and why do you think so?

EASTON EA90 XC 29er Wheelset
    19mm internal rim width
    24 straight pull sapim double butted spokes
    No-tape for tubeless
    1697grams

Custom built (good builder) DT SWISS 350 HUBs with ARCH EX Rims
    (DT 350 hubs are about 60 grams heavier for the set then 240s but same design and internals)
    Sapim double butted spokes
    32hole
    3 cross on drive side
    2 cross non-drive
    Estimating 1720-1740 grams (with tape)

Costs are about equal.

Thanks for your opinion!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I like the "good builder" idea. Wider rims=wider tires.
    Just my 2 cents...

29er
    Apr 2010
    i would go with dt swiss
    the easton hubs don't have the best reputation

Cheesiest
    I'd go DT/Arch (maybe even Flow). Wider rims are nice.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm running the dtswiss 350's and Arch EX's on my tallboy. I weigh about the same as you and ride mostly XC/ all mountain and did a few endurance type events this year
    Overall have been very happy. They roll very nicely. I will admit that I did a partial taco on the front and had to replace rim. It happened on more of a DH type of trail. S&@t happens- I cannot blame the wheel it was the riders fault.

I really like the looks of the Easton stuff but have shied away due to the hub issues that I seem to always hear about (whether true or not) and I always wanted a set of Stan's.
    I'm running maxxis ignitors and its been a perfect match for me and my riding style. Tubeless setup is just simple and they really do work as advertised and reviewed
    Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Everyone is confirming what I thought for the DT350/ARCH combo.

2010 I had a set of Haven's and I would have to adjust the rear hub every now and then, but I thought they fixed that issue. I only had them for a year and they stayed true, looked great, very stiff.

Right now I am running the DT 350 hubs and they work great, but they are laced to a DT XR400 29er Rim with triple butted supercomp spokes. From what I have read the DT Rims are really soft. It also does not help they are factory built, so I am certain the tension and build was not near the quality of a good builder. I was just a little nervous I was building the same wheel. But I would be lacing with stiffer spokes, better tension, and Arch rim should be tougher. Plus I have only read great things about the Stan's tubeless rim setup.

The 2 positives on the EA90 is the bling factor. I am really trying not to let that be a factor in the decision, but it is. My Bike is black with anodized red components. The other is not needing tape, but that seems like a trade off from the Arch's grabbing the tire bead better.

Thank you everyone for your input.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy289 View Post
    I weigh 190-200lbs and ride my FSR 29er mostly XC/All mountain in the southwest. I run tubeless and terrain is often filled with sharp rocks. My stock rims have been damaged beyond just truing to straighten.

My question is which is a better wheel and why do you think so?
    *********************l/VIi9r[/IMG]

EASTON EA90 XC 29er Wheelset
    19mm internal rim width
    24 straight pull sapim double butted spokes
    No-tape for tubeless
    1697grams

Custom built (good builder) DT SWISS 350 HUBs with ARCH EX Rims
    (DT 350 hubs are about 60 grams heavier for the set then 240s but same design and internals)
    Sapim double butted spokes
    32hole
    3 cross on drive side
    2 cross non-drive
    Estimating 1720-1740 grams (with tape)

Costs are about equal.

Thanks for your opinion!
    I like the DT Swiss
    Last edited by gridtalker; 11-15-2012 at 05:55 AM.

mtbr member
    I would go DT/Arch. J spokes are just so easy to get if you break one. Plus the simplicity and reliablity of the DT hubs. Tooless and easy.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    350 front hubs are not convertible, to add more difference between them and 240 fronts.
    For a custom build- Stan's 3.30 front hub converts and the endcaps are half the price.

You down with entropy?
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    350 front hubs are not convertible, to add more difference between them and 240 fronts.
    For a custom build- Stan's 3.30 front hub converts and the endcaps are half the price.
    I went Hope front and DT Swiss 350 rear laced to Arch EX for my wife's new wheels
    that combo of hubs are easily convertable to anything and hit the right pricepoint.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I'm riding DT 350s with Flow rims and loving it. (weigh 210 lbs). Not the lightest but excellent wheels.