mtbr member
    Dec 2004

EA90 29er Wheelset

Howdy everyone,

Man, it's been a long long time since I've been on here. Overseas for 6 years sans mountain bike -sounds horrible, I know.

Nonetheless, I'm now building up a new bike. My old bike was a Bianchi 26 Grizzly steal frame w/ that was decked out with xtr/Chris King/Hope Hydros etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have the cash right now to reenter mtb w/ that kind of setup. Instead I went with a 29er Jamis Dragon Sport (wanted the race...$$) that I'm putting about $1k+ into on components. I've upgraded the brakes, cockpit, saddle, stem, seatpost etc w/ much lighter gear in order to get below the 30lb mark on the bike.

I'm a 230-240lb rider so the 29er plus steal is a just a smooth ride for me and going from steal on my last bike I just don't think I can ever go back.

Nonetheless, there's the backstory in a nutshell.

My main upgrade will obviously be a lighter wheel set since I'd rather loose weight in the spinning mass vs. the frame.

I've been eyeing the Easton EA90 XC 29ers, but I'm so far out of shopping wheels in the last decade that I need some advice. The 2012 Dragon is a 9 speed system, so I assume I need the 9x100 QR for both front and rear wheels since it's not a through axel system and it's a 9 speed (unless I'm reading those specs wrong... which I'm more than capable of).

My next question is about the dropout and hub diameter, I can seem to find anything to suggest that wheel set and that bike would be incompatible. Can someone comment on that with a qualified yes or no?

Lastly, my question is about weight limits. I'm a larger guy but I'm not a rough rider. 50% flowy single track, small rock gardens, and lots of roots. No bomber downhill stuff.

Appreciate the help, I apologize for the ignorance, it's been too many years away from a bike. Feels like returning to a great love!

Cheers!
    Brian

Workin for the weekend!
    If you're strong, you will kill the freehub in no time. They are weak, the pawls Sink into their seats and end up deforming under load.

Don't get me wrong, they roll amazing, and stay true as can be, but the hub isn't up to the task of torque... I've been thru 2 freehubs in 6 months, 220 LBS XC rider, no drops or jumps. Lotsa torque, I can grind out the steepest climb. Freehub fails.

My emails to Benjamin Clemens at Easton about the issue remain unanswered, if I were you, I'd have something built. DT 240 on a Stans Arch EX for me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Todd,

Much appreciated on your reply. I wish I'd seen it before today.

I build the wheel set up last week using the XCs I mentioned in the OP. We will see, I'm much like you. I'm down to 230, strong rider and can crank most anything out.

We will see and I hope for my sake that they hold up, but I don't doubt your experience by any means.

Very much appreciate your reply!
    B

mtbr member
    check the threads, there is something in here about easton sending a free hub upgrade, maybe that will fix your problem.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone