mtbr member
    May 2013

Dude, The Fork Upgrade Question is Killing Me

Me; first timer going to the LBS with a $1,000 budget and stars in my eyes.

Sales guy: "Well bro I don't have one in your size (6'4" 245lb) but I've got a Trail SL 29er 1 ($1,600) that you can test out and we'll get the 4 to you next week."

Well when I was testing out the Trail SL 1 I felt light and nimble and everything you'd want to feel like on a bike. Now that I've got my 4.... eh not so much. Thus after much scrutiny, riding and research I can only surmise it's the fork.

There was something about the weight handling and response of the RockShox Recon Gold TK I liked. So I want that air coil response and light weight, but I'm thinking now "why stop there? can I get more than 80mm of travel, can I get a negative air coil, can I get lighter, can I get an older 2009, 2011 model?"

well the answer is "No I can't cause I'm not riding a 26" tire and a 1 1/8" steer tube."

So the question is; should I risk buying a 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" steer tube adapter and pay the extra for 29" wheel fork, or should I wait a bit and see if the market starts producing more 29" forks?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A little confused what you are exactly asking but I'll do my best. So you bought the cannondale trail SL 4, but test rode the SL 1? You were happy with the higher model, but dislike the one you bought? 29ers have been on the market for a long time and there are no shortages of forks for your bike. The reason you probably can't find an old stock 29er fork is because people buy them when they go on sale. The cannondale website says your bike has a 100mm fork and tapered head tube already...so not sure why you'd need an adapter to run a tapered fork? Also, why are you limiting yourself to a recon gold? Budget? There are many great forks that won't break the bank...I'd consider the recon more of an entry level fork anyways. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but don't feel like you are forced to use the exact fork which was spec'd on a higher model.

My suggestion, check out either a Reba, tower pro, x-fusion, fox, etc. Maybe try to see what other guys are successfully using on their frames. From looking at the spec sheets, you should have no problem using a 100mm fork...sometimes you can even use a 120mm fork but I'd first make sure it won't void any warranties. Anything more then what the manufacture recommends can possibly ruin the geometry or put too much stress on the headtube.

To make a long story short, don't stress out about it! Hah. If you feel that a current component isn't right for you, you can change it. You have the same frame as the SL 1 and with a little bit of fine tuning I'm sure youll like the bike. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2012

Dude, The Fork Upgrade Question is Killing Me

I have last year's sl 4, and it does have a 1.5 headtube, and a 80 mm fork.