mtbr member

DT Swiss XR 400 29 rims

I want to build a new wheelset, lighter than the American Classic All Mountain 29 I'm currently using.

The AM 29 weigh 1770 g, and I use them for trail / all-mountain riding.

I'd use the new ones for XC and marathon riding, and I think a good weight would be around 1600 g.

I'm thinking of DT Swiss XR 400 29 rims. They are welded, and have eyelets. They're not the lightest, though, at 450 g.

I'd complete the wheelset with DT Revolution spokes (2-1.5-2 mm, for about 305 g with nipples), and some lightweight hubs.

I've found a similar wheelset, which should be less than 1600 g with Fun Works N-Light Evo hubs (the pair weighing just 385 g):
    Fun Works N-Light Evo DT Swiss XR 400 Revolution disc 29er 1590g - Action Sports-Bike Onlineshop

I'd like to have your opinions on the XR 400 29 rim, considering my intended use.

How does it compare to the lighter Stan's Crest, as far as stiffness and reliability are concerned?

And what about tubeless-ready conversion and performance. Are they comparable to the proven Stan's ZTR rims?

BTW, have you got any experience with the Fun Works N-Light Evo hubs? Do you feel they are a good combination with the rims, or you believe they are too light considering the rims are not so light? And are super lightweight hubs safe on 29" wheels, which are larger and so put more strain on hubs?

Thanks for your feedback!

or die try'n
    not sure if you ever built up a set but I have 2 brand new XR400 29er takeoff rims. At 450g they are nice for half the price of an Arch. They are narrower by 3mm at 18. One nicety is the spoke eyelets. Nicer if you want to go with aluminum nipples. Aluminum nipples on non eyelets will cause problems long term.
    I only use my brakes going Up hill.

mtbr member
    Also take a look at the WTB Frequency i19 rims, if you haven't made a decision since January.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.