mtbr member
    Sep 2009

DT SWISS M 520 rim with DT Swiss 240 hub

Guys pls help me!

Looking for a proper wheelset for my pretty aggressive XC rideing style and for my 220 lbs weigh. I have a HT now. ( Now I have a Deore LX + Mavic A 317 set which I feel too flexible )

A planned a ZTR Flow with 36 spokes and XT hub combo ( maybe overkill) but know I could buy a brand new set from DT Swiss with M520 rim and 240 hub ( is it stiff enogh ?).

Has anybody any rewievs about this rim ? What you think which set would be the best for me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I dont have experience with the DT Swiss Rims, but I can say that the 240 hub is one of the best hubs out there.

mtbr member
    DT Swiss rates the M520 rim (520g) for a maximum rider weight of 100 kg (220 lb), so the rim could work, especially if you are able to loose some weight. Comparable would be the Mavic TN 719 rim (510g). The drawback to using either of these rims is that the internal width of 19-19.5mm provides limited support to your tires.

Your TN 317 rims (540g) have a lesser internal width of 17mm, this probably contributes to the flexibility you are noticing.

At your riding weight and for your riding style, however, ZTR Flow 36h (525g) or WTB Frequency i23 32h (530g) rims with an internal width of 22-23mm will provide more support to your tires, more air volume, and let you ride with a little less air pressure. This will give you a better ride with improved traction.

If you don't need all of the conversion options that the DT S 240s front hub offers, the 350 hubs (front and rear) would be a good and less expensive choice paired with the i23 rims. Similarly, the Hope Pro2 EVO would be a good choice paired with the Flow 36h rims.

Quote Originally Posted by freezombi View Post
    Guys pls help me!

Looking for a proper wheelset for my pretty aggressive XC rideing style and for my 220 lbs weigh. I have a HT now. ( Now I have a Deore LX + Mavic A 317 set which I feel too flexible )

A planned a ZTR Flow with 36 spokes and XT hub combo ( maybe overkill) but know I could buy a brand new set from DT Swiss with M520 rim and 240 hub ( is it stiff enogh ?).

Has anybody any rewievs about this rim ? What you think which set would be the best for me?

Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.