mtbr member
    May 2013

DT Swiss 350 vs. Stan's 3.30 Hubs

Hey All,

I'm building up a steel hard tail 29er and I'm wheel shopping. I can snag a set of new Stan's Crest or Arch wheels for less than $500, but a guy is selling a used set of Stan's Crest laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs (XTR rotors included) for about $500.

Are the DT Swiss hubs fracking amazing? Or would it be better to get new Stan's?

Thanks!

davidcarson48
    I'd go with the new Stan's set. The hubs are solid and pretty light. The DT hubs are nice as well, but the front hub is not convertible between QR/15mm/20mm for future compatibility.

Consider the Hope Hoops at Wiggle. Crests with Hope hubs for around $400.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks!

I'm a tad concerned about Crest durability... I weigh 145 and ride mostly single track. Take the occasional jump (less than two feet of air) These wheels will be on a steel hard tail. Think they'll hold up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Crests are limited to 100kgf spoke tension which means 70kgf on the non drive side for establishing the dish.
    I would not be happy with this and I think this allows the rim to flex when the bike is leaned over in a turn and you hit chatter, etc. The ArchEx rim can go to 125kgf and about 95-105 on the non drive side. Less flex means less nipple loosening and a wheel that will stay true.

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm 195 lbs. and run a set of Crests (built by Stan's early in 2013) on all sorts of trail terrain from rocks to buff single track and fast urban assault rides with lots of twisty paths, stairs and occasional dirt. This wheel set has remained as true as the day I set up tubeless tires and I do not notice much in the way of flexy behavior. Note: only the HD front hub converts up to 20mm. The standard Stan's 3.30 front can do 9mm or 15mm.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys! I just ordered a set of Crests. Spoke with the sales guy at Stan's. He's 180 and runs Crests on really rough stuff without any problems. He said to go with Crests for a real lively and awesome feel. We shall see!

I'll post my build here when it's done. Should be really fracking awesome.