mtbr member

Dt Swiss 240 cassette body question

Quick question, I have a rear cassette body that is chewed to heck from the guy . It's an aluminum body and I was wondering if anyone knows if they make something more robust. He is running a 2/9 system, shimano cassette
    Thanks bill

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Dt Swiss 240 cassette body question

Contact DT. I broke the freehub body on my 240s. Filed off the splines entirely on my highest four gears. It would be cool if they offered stronger f hubs, but they don't.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    DT makes a steel freehub body. Here's a link to one place that sells it.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Dt Swiss 240 cassette body question

I feel silly, thanks man.

mtbr member

Dt Swiss 240 cassette body question

Perfect, thanks tons.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Links dead, and I can't seem to find them on wheelbuilder.com anywhere. Did they stop making them? I want to use DT swiss 240, but i'm ~210, and I know I'd prob tear up an aluminum freehub in a hearbeat. They still make a steel one to convert to?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I think you're stuck with the aluminum freehub body. What cassette are you using? I've had several 240s hubs and never had a problem when using nicer ~xt-level cassettes with the wide alloy cog carriers for the bigger cogs. The few small loose cogs dig in a little, but still slide off easy enough. Might be different if you weigh 250lbs though

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fullCircling View Post
    Links dead, and I can't seem to find them on wheelbuilder.com anywhere. Did they stop making them? I want to use DT swiss 240, but i'm ~210, and I know I'd prob tear up an aluminum freehub in a hearbeat. They still make a steel one to convert to?
    They aren't *that* fragile, I weighed that back then when I used one and I had no problems. Granted, these were the days of 22t grannies and 34t max rear cassettes, most just went with a 32 anyways. Now we need ultra-cheater gears, so this could reverse this issue to some extent. The original soft-cheese Chris King cassette bodies have gotten better with better alloys and better cassettes. The combos infamous for "locked on" cassettes were old pinned cassettes, low end shimanos and most SRAMs, coupled with CK or any other "superlight" hub, in other words alloy cassette carrier.

As said before, this was one of the ways these guys tried to sell their products as "better" than shimano, as it was much lighter, and shimano, through their testing and R&D, knew better than to sacrifice here, although they did eventually go to titanium with the XTR, which is again better than aluminum alloy, but they usually do their homework.

I had a little scoring with the alloy DT cassette carrier, not a big deal, nowhere near like the old CK stuff and pinned cassettes. Better alloys and cassettes have made this mostly a non-issue. I was able to get the cassette off without any special fuss every time.

This, and I blew the freewheel mechanism on the DT twice. I was a mega-gear turner, even though I had a granny, I never used it, I just powered away up the steepest hills in the middle ring. I've never met a hub I couldn't blow up. Luckily, the DT is one of the strongest designs with it's full-contact interface, so it's about as good as it gets. Luckily too, the mechanism is dead-simple, relatively inexpensive, and easy to replace, no tools required.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^^^ This is what I have experienced with an XT cassette and my star ratchet hubs. You would destroy the cassette riveting first(none for me) before you have any problems with the cassette hub interface.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    It says it is only for Shimano free hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    It says it is only for Shimano free hubs.
    I'd guess that is referring to shimano vs campy style freehubs, this being shimano style. Whether or not it will fit in a 240s with your particular cassette is another matter. But again, if you are running a top of the line hub like a 240s, then just don't cheap out on the cassette and you should be fine. 10-speed xt cassettes can be had for ~$45 online now.

mtbr member
    From the web page:

"American Classic 10 Speed Clip Kit is designed to help relieve the gouging of a cassette into an aluminum freehub body. The kit works with Shimano 10 speed cassettes only (105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace).

Note: Dura-Ace 7900 / Ultegra 6700 / 105 5700 cassettes are not compatible with this product."

Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    I'd guess that is referring to shimano vs campy style freehubs, this being shimano style. Whether or not it will fit in a 240s with your particular cassette is another matter. But again, if you are running a top of the line hub like a 240s, then just don't cheap out on the cassette and you should be fine. 10-speed xt cassettes can be had for ~$45 online now.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Trail Ninja
    Looked up how the clip kit works:

Don't see any 10 speed MTB cassettes having gaps like that in the loose cogs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You're right, I don't see that fitting in the gaps of any mtb cassettes either. But... my point stands- it isn't needed with a high quality mtb cassette anyway. With the wide aluminum spider of xt and xtr, pg990, etc, you shouldn't experience any significant gouging of the 240 cassette body unless you're doing something wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bikeman DT Swiss 340/540 Steel Mountain Freehub Body
    Universal Cycles -- DT Swiss Freehub Bodies (Non Onyx)

DT star ratchet style steel body

pretty easily found with the help of google ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OrenPerets View Post
    Bikeman DT Swiss 340/540 Steel Mountain Freehub Body
    Universal Cycles -- DT Swiss Freehub Bodies (Non Onyx)

DT star ratchet style steel body

pretty easily found with the help of google ;-)
    The two steel freehubs in this link will not fit the 240. DT Swiss no longer makes a steel freehub that fits the 240. They used to make one and it came on the DT Hugi FR hubs like these,

DT Swiss Hugi 240 Fr MTB Disc Brake Hub Set 6 Bolt New | eBay

Ebay is your best bet for finding a freehub or even a used hub that has this freehub on it.

Good luck.