Thread: Dropper

mtbr member

Dropper

New to mtn bikes and just picked up an SB95. Been told a dropper is a must!! So, initially ordered a DOSS Dropper, but now told it is poor quality. Any suggestions??
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am new to dropper posts, went with LBS recc. and use a Specialized Blacklight and 8 months with zero issues. Simple mechanical design, so far good.

mtbr member
    Thompson
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gravity Dropper turbo. Just about bombproof. If you don't like how it looks take off the boot and its way nicer.

undercover brother
    My reverb has been without issues so far. I can't imagine riding without one now.

Certifiably Crazy
    I've been using a Specialized Command Post Blacklite for the last six months without issues. I like it. It only has three positions in case that's a dealbreaker to you.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    They all are good and they all suck. The Gravity dropper is the only one that does not have numerous failures. It is just ugly. All the others have issues. Pick your poison.

On a side note, droppers are a fantastic addition to your bike. If you are a bigger guy (or gal), they are absolutely essential.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Picked up an SB95 myself about 4 weeks ago and just added a Reverb to it yesterday. I have heard of all the issues before buy my LBS told me they seem to be doing much better now. I was planning on going with the KS Lev but they said it would of been about 30-45 days to get one so I went with the Reverb. Took it for a little spin last night and it performed well so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't have a ton of experience with dropper posts, but I think the comment re: DOSS being of poor quality is bogus. While it may not have the latest/greatest features, I'd say it's probably the most stout and least likely to fail (gravity dropper in same category IMO). Cable actuated and air spring return, no silly hydraulics to bleed etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Love my Specialized Commandpost Blacklite.

I needed a post with some setback, so that eliminated the Thomson (my original choice).

Bob

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You need to decide what form of a dropper you like first so then you can decide on the make.

The first dropper I tried was an infinite position CB Joplin on a demo bike. I hated it, unless you were using the full drop, it was hard to get in the same position every time.

I happen to be on Ebay and saw a fantastic deal on an original Command Post. I loved the fact that it was a 3 position post. The seat is in the same spot every time. I've
    been using a new Blacklite Command post for a year and no problems.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I had a KS Lev and now have a Gravity Dropper Turbo LP.

I prefer the set stops as opposed to being infinitely adjustable, the post is as simple/reliable as a brick, you can get spare parts for everything on the post and you can call and talk to someone at the company if you have a question.

Competent User

Dropper

Lets give it up for folks who just post the name of the thing they own. Totally helpful.

A guy I ride with who has had a bunch of different droppers said that you just have to remember that they all break. There are no perfect droppers. Some are heavier, some are smoother, some are more expensive, and some like the DOSS aren't necessarily bad, but do have a giant ugly lever on your handlebar that looks like it would break in the first crash. Anyway, the point is, if you're prepared for the fact that it will eventually fail, and accept that as a given, you're good.

He also gave me the advice that the folks who use the dropper have less issues with breakage than the folks who forget it's there. Keep those parts moving and you'll keep moving, I guess.

I went with a newer (2013) reverb. I'd demoed a bunch of bikes with reverb and I just liked the smooth action and their lever. It's been 5 months and I've had no issues so far. It'll probably break later. But I love riding with it.

Congrats on a fantastic bike, by the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My bike came with the Kronolog - and it changed my riding. 6 months later and it was slipping noticabely - no adjustment would solve it so off to CB for warranty. They just returned a new one. I know the krono has its concerns - and it seems to all come down to proper setup and cable tension.

due to the delay in warranty - i began a search for a new one - knowing that if it is as finicky in setup as it seems, and that many times what happens on the bike may move, alter or change the cable - i wanted something else - im just that way

I looked at all of em, researched, posted on the forum and ultimately went with the new KS LEV. Second choice was the Command Post, third was the GD Turbo. so far - the LEV is butter smooth and rock solid.

would I have been happy w anyof the top 3? I believe so...