mtbr member

To drop or not to drop...

Have the opportunity to pick up last year's (2011) Reverb for $120 used, but in good shape. Not sure whether or not to go for it. I ride a brand new RIP9, and feel like I'm doing okay without it, but hear all manner of "once you use one, you'll never want to go without it".

Can any recent newbies to a dropper post relate?

Carbon & Ti rule
    It will be the best money you will ever spend, Rip9 is a great bike & a dropper post is the icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Got a RIP 9 in the spring and the reverb post for it after my first ride - my beautiful RDO carbon post has sat in a box ever since. I LOVE having the dropper and use it frequently during every ride. I have my seat up high with one toe barely touching the ground when the post is fully extended. That puts me in an ideal position for pedalling, especially for long or tough climbs. I leave it there for flowy singletrack. If things get even a bit technical or start heading down even a bit, I lower the seat just a tad... and the steeper/gnarlier it gets, the more I lower it.
    I agree with the slogan.
    Yes, it adds a bit of weight, but it is not like the RIP9 is all that svelt and honestly I think that the utility makes up for the weight penalty.
    DO IT!

mtbr member
    Well, then. Sounds like I don't have a choice!

mtbr member
    ...oh, and besides, at that price if you get it and don't take to it, I'm sure you can re-sell it at the same price and not lose a dime.

mtbr member
    The guy I'm buying from is 6'3", I'm 5'10". He says the post is 420mm - not sure where or what he's measuring. If it's too tall when fully extended and the post is all the way into the seat tube, is there a way to set the top height of the post to keep it from fully extending?

Formerly of Kent
    Fairly certain you can cut material off the bottom...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Fairly certain you can cut material off the bottom...
    Ummm...no, you can not. And even if you could it would not make a difference if the post bottoms out on the collar of fixed shaft.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    That must be the entire post length. What usually matters is the telescoping length - there is a 100mm model and a 125mm model.
    How much seat post do you have showing from the seat post collar to the saddle rail clamp mechanism? Once I get home, I can measure mine and let you know how much seat post you need to have showing for the longer 125mm travel model to fit (which is what I have).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone run a dropper on a full rigid? I've been tempted to sell the squishy fork, go rigid, and get a dropper. I don't know why, but it sounds appealing in my head.

Just wondering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    That must be the entire post length. What usually matters is the telescoping length - there is a 100mm model and a 125mm model.
    How much seat post do you have showing from the seat post collar to the saddle rail clamp mechanism? Once I get home, I can measure mine and let you know how much seat post you need to have showing for the longer 125mm travel model to fit (which is what I have).
    On my Thomson, 155mm from clamp to the bottom of the rail of the saddle, where it meets the middle of the post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    What's the best bang for the buck dropper these days? I have a RIP as well and am thinking about getting one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieAPE View Post
    What's the best bang for the buck dropper these days? I have a RIP as well and am thinking about getting one.
    Specialized Blacklight seems to be the most trouble-free.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have the OG Command Post and feel it is underrated overall.

The shape of the lever, pressure to push, and lack of smoothness of the post are the only drawbacks. Those are minor in comparison to issues encountered on 'better' products.

mtbr member
    You need 188mm from seat clamp to seat rail for the 125mm dropper to work, so that doesn't seem like it will work for you.
    Assuming the design is otherwise the same, the 100mm version will put you at 163, which I bet will work for you - I couldn't believe how much higher I put my seat once I got the dropper.
    The guy selling the used one needs to measure the dark black part of the telescoping post to figure out whether he has the 125 or 100mm version.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    My brother got the Specialized Command Post BlackLite* with his FSR this spring. (Seeing it is what made me pull the trigger on a dropper). Ironically, he post failed during a ride and was stuck down. The release mechanism inside the post blew up and jammed and we could not get the post to extend... luckily, all the companies that make the dropper posts seem to be good about warranty claims.

The reverb has infinite adjust up and down. The command post has 3 positions: extended, about 1/3 down, and fully down. Advantage to 3 positions is when you want 1/3 down, it is always in the same spot. I find myself adjusting the height on my reverb at times if I end up a bit too far down. Disadvantage to 3 positions is that if you want 1/2 way or 2/3 way down, you are SOL. Both have their merits. Think about which approach you might prefer and go with that one.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Have the opportunity to pick up last year's (2011) Reverb for $120 used, but in good shape. Not sure whether or not to go for it. I ride a brand new RIP9, and feel like I'm doing okay without it, but hear all manner of "once you use one, you'll never want to go without it".

Can any recent newbies to a dropper post relate?
    Just got a KS i950 and I dropped the seat on a huge drop which made me crash. Hilarious. Now that Im using it I really like it. For technical terrain I lower it, when I get into the flats I raise it up. Right now Im only using a couple inches of the travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Dropper post

Specialized Blacklight, wiggle free,simple, cable operated.