mtbr member
    Jul 2012

does your carbon fiber handlebar look like this?

i just recently purchased a NEW EC90 SL HANDLEBAR and seems like there is a dent on the bottom of the handlebar. its a long a line (i presume a normal line).

also i see what seems to be like lines across the bottom part of the handlebar and more weird is i also see what appears to be "tape residue" marks on certain parts of the handlebar .

are these normal or do i have to return the handle bar?

thanks.

sorry for the crappy iphone pictures. ill try to take better ones when i get home.

Last edited by bapski; 11-02-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: changed title
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My ec90 road bars came new with similar looking lines, and now have many thousands of miles on them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks about the same as my EC90sl, EC70xc, and EX70 riser....If you are concerned, send Easton a quick e-mail.

Accident Prone
    Can you feel a dent or does it just look like there is one there? My ec70 bar looks like that.
    2012 Scott Scale Expert 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    Looks about the same as my EC90sl, EC70xc, and EX70 riser....If you are concerned, send Easton a quick e-mail.
    already did. im waiting for their reply.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Formerly of Kent
    My ENVE wheels and handlebar both have similar cosmetic "issues". Meaning, non-issues.

Dude, you need to relax. You make a lot of "OMG, is my _______ right for my fork/bike/life/whatever?" posts. Take a deep breath, and do some research.

In addition to the reviews on this site, there are hundreds of thousands of threads. Many of the threads you start ask about questions already asked, and answered, by plenty of previous posters.

mtbr member
    Carbon fiber is layers of a mesh weave laminated together, so long as the surface is smooth there should not be any structural issues.

and of course always pay attention to torque rating when dealing with CF components.

personally i like the checker board weave finish, so long as it consistent it looks smart and there is no question about what its made out off.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Live 2 Ride View Post
    Can you feel a dent or does it just look like there is one there? My ec70 bar looks like that.
    yes i can. i am describing it as a dent probably from the factory but not from use

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    My ENVE wheels and handlebar both have similar cosmetic "issues". Meaning, non-issues.

Dude, you need to relax. You make a lot of "OMG, is my _______ right for my fork/bike/life/whatever?" posts. Take a deep breath, and do some research.

first, i thank you for taking notice of all my posts. hopefully you extend the same kind of courtesy and time to the other posts here.

research? i have. and from what i've gathered on how CARBON breaks, it breaks apart unlike aluminum that will bend. its my FACE and not anyone else.

i dont care of the cosmetic part, i just want to make sure i have a NEW/UNUSED handlebar that is structurally sound.

i care about the structure integrity of this component. i am too old to get into an accident, moreso accidents that can be avoided due to faulty component, hence my asking.

In addition to the reviews on this site, there are hundreds of thousands of threads. Many of the threads you start ask about questions already asked, and answered, by plenty of previous posters.

trust me i have, but do the reviews say they have dents on their handlebars? threads that said the same thing as i have? my apologies then, mine is purely of IGNORANCE, unlike you who have been in this hobby (sport probably for you) for at awhile (@1k posts)boy, you've probably helped a lot of ignorant beginners like me. but till i get where you are, i really have no clue as to what i have. im just starting to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGB View Post
    Carbon fiber is layers of a mesh weave laminated together, so long as the surface is smooth there should not be any structural issues.

and of course always pay attention to torque rating when dealing with CF components.

personally i like the checker board weave finish, so long as it consistent it looks smart and there is no question about what its made out off.

had the bar checked by a buddy of mine who has been riding for awhile and also compared handlebars and he says its should be fine.

i do have a problem with the torque wrench though as this is a tool i dont have. ive read thread posts that people just kind of just "feel through" the tightening of screws... am not sure if id be able to afford a torque wrench.

ha! i can rest easy now, and i cant wait to mount this handlebar, heck i might not wait for the stem i ordered.

but do i need to use a "friction-grease" like what the installation instruction says. ive read a thread that was kind of divided. others say they mount the handlebar dry, other say use the "friction-grease" my buddy said he used regular (citgo) grease and was kind enough to give me some. hopefully, since most of you have the same handlebar, i should be able to come up with a majority consensus...

thank you again for your inputs...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Formerly of Kent
    Please do not apply "regular" grease to a carbon fiber part.

Epoxy is soluble in many solvents...which more than likely are a component in the grease you are considering using.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Epoxy is soluble in many solvents...which more than likely are a component in the grease you are considering using.
    darn, went to rei and they did not have it, this means wont be able to mount the handlebar till after a ride tomorrow and check out other LBS around my area...

so any CARBON GREASE will do?

thanks a million man..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Formerly of Kent
    Honestly, it's not really necessary with a carbon bar.

A carbon seatpost, yeah, that might be worth consideration. But bars and stems have a nice, solid, large surface area connection. Very few people have bar rotation or slippage problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    so ill be fine not putting anything then?....

thanks again.
    Last edited by bapski; 11-02-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: i meant nothing not anything
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Formerly of Kent
    Yep. Running both of my bikes without any grease on the handlebar-stem junction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    yey! dry it is.. looks like ill be using this handlebar tomorrow.... would have preferred to pair it with the EC90 SL stem. . but heck i cant wait..

guess itll be a good thing too, since id be mounting the breaks and shifters so it wont take much work when the stem comes.. heck i can probably work on it while im at work.. lol..

thank you again man, for your patience and inputs..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

get down!
    my grandma would tell you to take a chill-pill

RIP Gramz!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

tao
    succinct
    A carbon fiber stem on a MTB seems like something to worry about to me.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

DaFaJa
    Photos when you get it all set..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009

really? Which ones? I steer away from using mineral oils and greases on carbon/epoxy myself but not sure if I'd say epoxy was soluable in them?

mtbr member
    I had an EC90 that had a line in it just like yours, so I'll say your bar is probably fine.

Since this is the 29er component forum I'll add that I eventually took the EC90 off in favor of a relatively inexpensive 710mm aluminum flat bar weighing a respectable 220g that I bought new for $39.00. With the wider bar I was able to go with a shorter stem that dropped enough weight(not a weight weenie, just saying) to justify the heavier but less fussy bar.

IMO the wide/flat bar works way better on the taller front end of a 29er. Better leverage when climbing, better control in the rough, and better for hammering. Plus I don't have to worry about when that pricey little doo-dad is going to catastrophically snap in two and ruin my day(week... month...)
    maladroitus extraordinairus

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skitchy View Post
    I had an EC90 that had a line in it just like yours, so I'll say your bar is probably fine.

Since this is the 29er component forum I'll add that I eventually took the EC90 off in favor of a relatively inexpensive 710mm aluminum flat bar weighing a respectable 220g that I bought new for $39.00. With the wider bar I was able to go with a shorter stem that dropped enough weight(not a weight weenie, just saying) to justify the heavier but less fussy bar.

IMO the wide/flat bar works way better on the taller front end of a 29er. Better leverage when climbing, better control in the rough, and better for hammering. Plus I don't have to worry about when that pricey little doo-dad is going to catastrophically snap in two and ruin my day(week... month...)
    rode my bike with the handlbar and ive had no problems which is a relief. not a weight weenie either, but just got the EC90 SL STEM (100mm) and EC90 SL HANDLEBAR because i got a great deal on them.

i did not think 10mm shorter difference from my STOCK handlebar would be something id notice, but it did. i think im more comfortable with the bit shorter handlebar.

i do find your configuration interesting and id want to try that out next time a good deal on stems come up. wasnt really sure which lengths to get so i just kind of got the same length configurations from my stock handlebar (690mm) and stem (100mm)..

thanks for the kind input.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    The EC90 specs at 635mm.
    maladroitus extraordinairus

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skitchy View Post
    The EC90 specs at 635mm.
    lol! no wonder it seemed shorter than 10mm that i was computing! my eyes are really that bad. heck i dont even know now how i got the 10mm difference.. .

oh well, when i thought my handlebar was kind of short while i was riding yesterday, i just checked that its as wide as my shoulders and it seemed like it... ADVANCING AGE i tell ya..

thanks for making me clarify that..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mine looks like that as well.
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp | '12 Trek Superfly 100 AL | '11 Ridley X-BOW