mtbr member
    Jul 2013

do I need to change my disc if the brake pads got oil on them

Hello,

In trying to change the brake pads on my mountain bike, I managed to get oil on my new pads and empty out all the brake fluid, and consequently also get some oil on the disc. I took the bike to the shop and they are now telling me I need to change the pads and the disc. I can understand the pads, but do I really need to change the disc or is the guy (girl actually) just scamming me. The disc is not soaking in oil, from what I can tell it just has a bit of oil here and there.

mtbr member
    No. The rotor can be cleaned.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I would take the discs off the bike. Then spray them with auto brake rotor cleaner. Others may disagree.

Any degreaser will work. Just wipe with iso alcohol (the purer the better) after degreasing and rinsing the rotors with water.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    I got oil on my pads and rotor I just removed pads cleaned with brake cleaner and cleaned rotor with degreaser reasembled and it all works great. Some people say put the pads in the oven or hit them with a torch to burn out the oil.

Eddie
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2003 Gary Fisher Paragon 29
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

mtbr member
    You may or may not be able to "clean the pads" - that will vary a lot with what is on them, and what kind of pads they are. The rotor? Nah. Like Mitz said, just hit them with some brake parts cleaner. They're metal, and don't absorb stuff, you just need to get the surface clean so they don't contaminate your pads.

mtbr member
    This is true pads dont cost much just replace them

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    You may or may not be able to "clean the pads" - that will vary a lot with what is on them, and what kind of pads they are. The rotor? Nah. Like Mitz said, just hit them with some brake parts cleaner. They're metal, and don't absorb stuff, you just need to get the surface clean so they don't contaminate your pads.
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2003 Gary Fisher Paragon 29
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you soak the pads in brake cleaner and sand the surface a bit they might do as spare rear pads. The disk is fine. You might need to steel wool or sand the surface a bit after cleaning if you used them when oily.

Rub it............
    Rotors are hit or miss. Most of the time you can clean them and they will be fine, other times it's better to replace them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Take a wire brush and surface clean the contaminated pads. Wipe them off. Then put them in the oven at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Caution: oven will smoke so turn n kitchen venting. The contaminants (oil) will burn off and leave the metallic behind. I tried this after reading an article on saving pads and it worked great. I'm not sure if this will work for Resin pads.

Of course clean the caliper and rotor as well. You will have to re-bed them but it will work!