Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DIY thru axle mount and adapter

22K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  calvinhobbes 
#1 ·
I bought a 29'er with a Reba RL fork and none of my stuff is compatible with it so I decided to fab some stuff up instead ordering a bunch of stuff. To start off I found some 3/4" tube with an ID close enough to work with my 15mm axle. Next I went to the steel supply place and scrounged through their rack of 1-2' sections. I found some 2" angle, some 1.5" square tube, and some plate that just happened to be cut arond 1.25" wide.

first I cut myself a stack of 100mm sections of tube. I tested to make sure I could clamp them in my fork.

I have a high tech 2x8 in the bed of my truck so I cut some 2" angle with 45's on both ends. I don't think I even measured it but it's probably about 3.25" at the top and the bottom is probably around 6". I drilled a couple holes in the bottom to mount to my 2x8. Whaaala.

Next up, for those times when I need to throw my bike on friends' racks or whatever I make an adapter to work with a standard fork mount. Cut some 1.25" plate to 3.25" long. Then drill a couple holes at one end and slot them so they'll clamp in the mount. On the other end I made a real faint hacksaw line where I wanted to make my bend. I don't have a vice in my garage so I did it ghetto style and screwed a 2x4 to my workbench to clamp down the steel with the part I wanted to bend hanging out. Break out the BFH and start bending. I used a square with degrees marked to make sure I hit 45 degrees. I used an old skewer and one of my 100mm pieces to square it up and bevel the edge that would get welded.

Last, I needed to mount my bike on my Park PRS-20 workstand. This piece is pretty simple. 6" of 1.5" square tubing with a 3/8" hole drilled in the side so a nut can be welded and a 100mm tube welded to the top.

Once it was all welded and I made sure they'd fit I hit them with some self etching primer and some paint I had around the garage.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.