mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Disassembling a Specialized Hi Lo 142 12mm hub help

Hey all,

As with many of people on here, my rear hub on my epic 29 comp is trashed. Wondering if anyone can explain how to properly disassemble the rear hub for servicing. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is outlined in another forum, please direct me to it. I searched but didn't see anything. Thanks!

-Stricklander

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    oh man....bump it looks like you can only get specialized to fix these...does anyone have any ideas?

Soulforce Cycling

Disassembling a Specialized Hi Lo 142 12mm hub help

Replace it. Don't fix it. Tons of info out there about issues with them. Mine died in the first 100 miles (If I recall right). Specialized replaced it with a DT Swiss.
    Soulforce Cycling | Riding apparel from size Small to 5XL. Visit us at - http://www.soulforcecycling.com

mtbr member
    I have one you can take off my hands, just cover the shipping and its yours.

Quote Originally Posted by stricklander View Post
    Hey all,

As with many of people on here, my rear hub on my epic 29 comp is trashed. Wondering if anyone can explain how to properly disassemble the rear hub for servicing. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is outlined in another forum, please direct me to it. I searched but didn't see anything. Thanks!

-Stricklander

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah...definitely replace it rather than fix it. I had two that got crunchy after one ride each. After the second one, specialized upgraded my wheelset. If your wheels are new-ish, I'd say give specialized a call.

mtbr member
    This happened on my stumpy fsr and my son's camber... both had less than 150 miles. Take it to the dealer, and depending on the year the chances are they got you covered.
    More often than not they make good on the hub and replace it with the newer billet style hub. Same crappy poe's, just 4 bearings now instead of 2... or so I was told. I have also heard good luck stories where the LBS gave option to upgrade with added cash to receive a hub with twice the splendor and half the jive.
    Don't quote me on that.