Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Did Spesh Screw Me Over?: Warranty Rims

Hi guys,

2011 Stumpy 29'er Comp. Came with DT Swiss 450SL wheelset.

I took it into a high end LBS for a tune-up and broken spoke repair. I get a call saying the nipples/rims are corroded and that they are going to warranty the wheelset no charge! So. I'm pretty stoked until I go pick up the bike and see these plain jane, no-name ugly black wheels. The only designation is the hub says "Stout". So I email them and they say that is what Spesh sent as a comparable replacement. I can't find much info on Spout wheels, and I don't know much about components; only that these new wheels look ugly and cheap.

Specialized Bicycle Components

I'd really appreciate some advice before I take this to the next level.

Thanks

Bob

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
    Hi guys,

2011 Stumpy 29'er Comp. Came with DT Swiss 450SL wheelset.

I took it into a high end LBS for a tune-up and broken spoke repair. I get a call saying the nipples/rims are corroded and that they are going to warranty the wheelset no charge! So. I'm pretty stoked until I go pick up the bike and see these plain jane, no-name ugly black wheels. The only designation is the hub says "Stout". So I email them and they say that is what Spesh sent as a comparable replacement. I can't find much info on Spout wheels, and I don't know much about components; only that these new wheels look ugly and cheap.

Specialized Bicycle Components

I'd really appreciate some advice before I take this to the next level.

Thanks

Bob
    Stout is a Specialized house brand/model.
    No matter the level, they are better than wheels that are failing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Stout is a Specialized house brand/model.
    No matter the level, they are better than wheels that are failing.
    I appreciate that but I still need to know if the Stouts are cheaper components than the DT Swiss, meaning weight, bearing quality, etc. I don't see Stout wheelsets on the new Stumpy Comps! In fact, I don't see them on any new Bike!

This was a 2K bike and I don't think these "Stouts" help the resale value!

thx

bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Roval Traverse are 650 a set and have Dt 350 ratchet rear hub internals with 24mm rim internal width and Dt SuperComp spokes. I'd look into paying the difference for an upgrade. See if you can get a deal. Stout SL appear to be only worth 225 a set. 425 for a set with star ratchets is still a good value.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Although the rims and skewer say DT Swiss,the hubs were famously weak and horrid, so you probably have better wheels now. Plus the DT 450 rims, while light, were maybe a bit weak for a Stumpy.

So for no charge you did pretty well, I'd say. And stout is a dark and strong beer. I like dark and strong for wheels.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
    I appreciate that but I still need to know if the Stouts are cheaper components than the DT Swiss, meaning weight, bearing quality, etc. I don't see Stout wheelsets on the new Stumpy Comps! In fact, I don't see them on any new Bike!

This was a 2K bike and I don't think these "Stouts" help the resale value!

thx

bob
    Nothing helps the resale value of a 3 year old mtb.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Even though/if the new wheels are comparable to the old DTs, i agree with you on the resale value part. I'd at least go in and talk to the shop about some possible options.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Take a pic of these wheels and post them up. I am wondering if you got some of the lower priced Roval's. If you did, they might not be light, but they have wider rims than your 450's (21mm internal vs. 19mm) and are pretty easy to set up tubeless as well.

Do they have the DT 9mm thru skewer on the front wheel?

**I just clicked on the link in your first post, they aren't Rovals, but they 'appear' to have wider rims and low sidewall height. If so, these are definitely an improvement on what you had. Put some good sized volume tires on those things, run them tubeless, and realize that flashy doesn't equal good. DT stuff is awesome, but the lower pricepoint stuff that's stocked on bikes is just nothing special... with a good name.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So they replace a 3 year old wheelset that is well past the warranty and you're worried you got ripped off?

Here's my advice, you want the old wheels, pay the shop to re-lace them.

Stout hubs are Specialized inhouse hubs just like your old wheels, only difference is really is the rim.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the help guys. Here are some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did Spesh Screw Me Over?:  Warranty Rims-img_0543.jpg  

Did Spesh Screw Me Over?:  Warranty Rims-img_0544.jpg  

Did Spesh Screw Me Over?:  Warranty Rims-img_0545.jpg  

Did Spesh Screw Me Over?:  Warranty Rims-img_0546.jpg  

Did Spesh Screw Me Over?:  Warranty Rims-img_0547.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So they replace a 3 year old wheelset that is well past the warranty and you're worried you got ripped off?

Here's my advice, you want the old wheels, pay the shop to re-lace them.

Stout hubs are Specialized inhouse hubs just like your old wheels, only difference is really is the rim.
    Yeah, I'm worried if I got a set of Hardrock wheels. I didn't ask for the warranty and wasn't given a chance to repair or upgrade. I appreciate the effort and just want to know what they put on there; same. better, or worse.

bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: Did Spesh Screw Me Over?: Warranty Rims

Stouts came on enduros model 05'-07'

I still have a pair going strong with 6,000 miles between 3 bikes.

You got a more than fair shake.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

<100%
    You got a new low end wheelset and gave up an old beat up out-of-warranty low end wheelset - for free. The shop probably swapped over your cassette, rims, rotors, tires for free? I'd say no, you did not get screwed. You got taken care of very well. Thank them....sincerely.

OSCMTB
    I'm surprised they warrantied the wheels as well. Typically that wouldn't be a warranty item, 3 years out.

On a different note, most (good) wheel builders won't re-use spokes and some wheel builders won't re-use rims. So re-lacing your old hubs would get expensive fast. Figure $50 per rim, $50 in labor per wheel and $50 in spokes/nipples. $300 to rebuild your wheels, and that's on the low end.

Dropshot Champ!
    this exact thing just happened to a buddy. same bike (expert i think), same stout wheel.

He had the rovals though.

He took it back and said, not a chance (stout was way heavier than his stock roval) and they apologized and exchanged it for a roval.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I initially was going to say "yes" simply based on your thread title, as it is Specialized, but after examination, I think this is fair for a 3 year old bike.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    The DT Swiss wheels that came on your stumpy comp are heavy and nothing special. The new ones they gave you might not look as cool, but at least they work and are probably around the same weight.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

Crash Dummy In Training
    FWIW Getting anything for a 3 year old set of wheels is in your favor.
    2 Years is the normal warranty period IIRC.
    Myself I would be happy I can ride again and start saving up for a new set of wheels I want these should keep you rolling.
    I think Specialized went the extra mile for you I would be Great full.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks again, All

I was a little freaked out when I picked up the Bike but y'all have made me feel better

bob

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm half surprised they would replace a wheel, period. After 100 miles of riding they could be messed up due to abuse. I always thought a wheel was a wear item when it came to warranty claims? I'd say they hooked you up big time since the wheels were 2+ years old and you didn't pay a penny! If you came in to my shop complaining about the free wheel swap, I'd pull them off your bike and tell you to get lost

mtbr member
    Did they give you your old wheels back or are they on the bike shop mechanics bike now?

Do you know how the weights compare?

Get some cool stickers for your new wheels to make them look more expensive

Lesson: Fix your own sh1t. A broken spoke leads to a complete 2 wheel replacement? Something doesn't sound right about that.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No, they said they had to turn them in.

I'd like to know the weight difference but can't seem to find the specs.

I agree, I thought maybe they had a bad batch that were corroded for some reason. I was surprised when they called and said they had already ordered them at no charge 3 years later. If I had to do it again, I would have just fixed it but the consensus here is that I made out

mtbr member
    OP got lucky.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had the DT Swiss 450SL wheelset on my 2011 Epic 29er. I had problems with several nipples breaking, and the HiBlo freehub failed, so I rebuilt the wheelset with an XT 142 rear hub and new spokes/nipples. While rebuilding them I weighed the rims and they actually weigh 490g! The hubs were about the same weight as XT hubs.

Normally broken spokes are considered "wear and tear" and not covered under warranty. I would continue buying bikes from that shop!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WillTheGreat View Post
    I had the DT Swiss 450SL wheelset on my 2011 Epic 29er. I had problems with several nipples breaking, and the HiBlo freehub failed, so I rebuilt the wheelset with an XT 142 rear hub and new spokes/nipples. While rebuilding them I weighed the rims and they actually weigh 490g! The hubs were about the same weight as XT hubs.

Normally broken spokes are considered "wear and tear" and not covered under warranty. I would continue buying bikes from that shop!
    Thanks, Will

Is 490g considered light or heavy? That's the info I was looking for.

Again, the shop said there was heavy corrosion throughout the rim/spokes.

bob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast