mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Diamondback overdrive upgrade path discussion

Hi all. another of these topics.

Yesterday i brought my new diamondback overdrive home in blue "sport" flavor. so far it is amazing ( although i've yet to take it to trail).

reading about forks i hear a clear message to upgrade that first, thinking about RS Recon Silver TK. don't have any experience with these so while i will follow the advice to skip th XC i'm not sure if i will be able to tell difference if moving further up to gold or Reba.

but what puzzles me most is drivetrain.
    bike has 8 speed now. i read advice to leave things be untill something breaks. it is not that i'm missing that one extra gear but it seems anything deore starting at 9 speed. plus i was thinking to get another wheelset, put pavement friendly tires and a 12-25 or something cassete. hense by going with 9 speed now i will save purchasing another cassette... in anycase i catch myself getting carried away with things. your 2 cents on sencibility of such upgrade are welcome.

also, what will i be looking in spare wheelset aside of obviously it being for 29we with disk mounts. does it make sense to get something higher end and relegate the street duty to factory wheels?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You would notice a Reba or Tower Pro. Look for one under 400. Build your wheelset. Trail riding will benefit from a light front wheel and tire.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would not touch a thing....ride it for a couple months, out grow it, sell it, and use that money to purchase a new rig. It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run. If you really want to get more performance and on the cheap just switch out the WTB wire bead tires and for $60-$70 you could drop 1.4lbs in outside rotational weight.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    I would not touch a thing....ride it for a couple months, out grow it, sell it, and use that money to purchase a new rig. It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run. .

I agree

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    guys, thanks for feedback. i'm not in a hurry to spend money.
    as is I had simply a blast of a ride on local trail yesterday. mostly calm route, but for little bit we did venture to a place we werent really supposed to be

as far as fork i never experienced anything other then that Suntour. it survived all the roots , couple logs and the few mild drops we had. probably the weakest part here if anything was my technique. hence i wonder if fork upgrade is really that crucial as it seems after reading bunch of discussion (i'm 165lb, not to heavy).

i don't think i'm mostly after performance or weightloss - chances are i'm not going to participate in any competitions and current bike weight seems very reasonable. i would like to have a smooth operating machine however. i restored hand-me-down ~15YO or so steel trek 26er with alivio shifters (original grip shifters where done), rode that for past year. highest end i ever rode is friend's bike that had deore level components (my overdrive sport has all acera with altus FD). deore seems to shift noticably smoother, especially when there is a bit of load. i see plenty of reasonably priced preowned deore, but its all 9 speed... hence i wonder...

tires, are those vulverines really that much heavier?

building wheels? i am actually almost comfortable doing so (built 2 wheels before and trued lots), briefly looking around seems it is cheaper to get a ready wheel rather then hub/spokes/rim kit. unless there is considerable saving i'd just get a ready set, but i havent researched it thoroughly yet.

thanks!
    Last edited by tankist; 08-16-2012 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Saw this post and wanted to pass it on to you. Amazing deal on a Reba RL, and at this price it is a steal! Get this fork if you can and hurry. You'll drop weight and improve performance. OR as it has been said ride the bike sell it and in the mean time save, save, save, and get a better bike with better components.

Here is the fork deal:

BlueSkyCycling.com - 2011 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air Fork 29er OE

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks for the tip!

replacing perfectly working albeit lower end components is not really rational. however couple family bikes however could use a refresh (and even replacement) in component, so my Overdrive got deore shifters+derailleurs, 9 speed cassete and chain, WTP pure V saddle, grips, m520 pedals
    ordered from chain reaction very early friday morning,and whoa! it arrived today! from Ireland! dang! and that while order from amazon that was placed two days before is still on its way. the world definetly got smaller

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I also purchased a DB Overdrive expert in red last month. Rode it the first time last Saturday in some very rocky conditions. Beat on the bike really good and it took everything I could throw at it. I also had the bike loaded down with about 40 lbs of gear and myself weighing 225 lbs. It was 110F out and this bike did the job. Put it this way, if the bike broke while I was out where I was, I would of been in bad shape, possibly dead. No cell reception or anything. The stock seat is total garbage, I replaced it already. Next is the tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I bought the orange one earlier this spring... Mine has vbrakes... I just wanted a cheap 29'er to see if i really like them (I do..its my favorite bike to ride now)... I scrapped the crank and put on a new Shimano Deore (the stock Suntour was messed up in mine)... Tires are too big for what i use it for, so i'm swapping out those next....then that is it...i'm not touching anything else unless it breaks.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am in the same boat, have the DB over drive and debated about upgrading vs saving to buy a new full suspension 29er.

I think I am going to upgrade the forks still.
    The stock suntour xtc just sucks.
    They might as will have strapped a pogo stick to the front of the bike.

Rev, thanks for the link that beats the best new price I have seen by $25 and the Reba was what I was looking for. Hell, most people want at least that for a used one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Tankist! I need to upgrade my crankset! Did you purchase that as well? I want to change my derailleurs, shifters, breaks, and crank... when purchasing these parts, is there anything I should be aware of such as specific sizing for crank and gears? can you send me a link of what you purchased? how are you liking your bike? i just got the m520 pedals today now my crank is creaking and on its way out!

Quote Originally Posted by tankist View Post
    thanks for the tip!

replacing perfectly working albeit lower end components is not really rational. however couple family bikes however could use a refresh (and even replacement) in component, so my Overdrive got deore shifters+derailleurs, 9 speed cassete and chain, WTP pure V saddle, grips, m520 pedals
    ordered from chain reaction very early friday morning,and whoa! it arrived today! from Ireland! dang! and that while order from amazon that was placed two days before is still on its way. the world definetly got smaller

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    *1st post!*

Found an Overdrive Expert on CL for $500 that had maybe 20 miles on it. Components already upgraded, so was a steal:

Crankset & arms + front shifter - Deore LX
    Cassette, RD, FD + rear shifter (3x9) - Deore XT

I replaced the stock saddle w/a WTB Speed V that was on sale at LBS, and now looking for some new clipless pedals vs. the semi-cheap Wellgos that came on it and nicer grips.

Ridden it a few times over light trails, small rock gardens, roots and streets and have been very happy with overall performance, comfort & response. I'm ~185#s, 6', 32" inseam - mine is the medium frame size and it feels just fine to me. May look at replacing the fork at some point, but thus far it's been at least satisfactory; once I build up skills and take on more technical and rough terrain it may justify the expense.

I agree with some other posts that the frame is definitely a base for upgrades if you take time to find quality components at good prices. I've seen well-cared-for sets and individual LX & XT components on eBay where you could upgrade the drivetrain & shifters for ~$150 or so. Were someone interested in shelling out $300+ for a new fork, that's when I'd say it's time to sell & look for another rig all together.

For 500 bones I think I got a heckuva deal and will be enjoying this 29er for years to come.