mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Derby Wide Carbon Rims and On One Chunky Monkey

I have been running small tires and narrow rims and I have been wanting to try some different stuff. I have been doing more trail riding and less cx racing. Weight is no longer an issue, it's all about fun. So this is a rigid ss 29er which works good in my area as the trails are generally smooth with a few rough sections. I have been going with 20lbs in the tires front and rear. Front Chunkey Monkey 2.4 and rear Smorgasborge 2.25. The wheels feel stiff and I am not feeling any tire squirm at this low pressure. I was worried I would hate such a heavy tire, somewhere around 900 and 840 front and rear. They feel heavy but seem to roll good. California conditions are super dry and these probably work great in the wet, but I wasn't sliding or skidding with these tires in our dry conditions. I am loving the high volume wide tires, my confidence kept growing throughout the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Derby Wide Carbon Rims and On One Chunky Monkey-dscn5148.jpg  

Derby Wide Carbon Rims and On One Chunky Monkey-dscn5162.jpg  

Derby Wide Carbon Rims and On One Chunky Monkey-dscn5169.jpg  

Derby Wide Carbon Rims and On One Chunky Monkey-dscn5183.jpg  

Derby Wide Carbon Rims and On One Chunky Monkey-dscn5184.jpg  

Is dang happy!
    Looks good, thinking of doing the same for the front of my Yelli. I will drop about 200 grams and gain 7mm of rim width.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been thinking about trying that tire combo. Are you running tubes or not? I know they weren't made for tubeless, but that doesn't stop anyone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They sealed up real easy with one scoop of Stans. I didn't even have to add air the next day. The price is right on these tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm also running the CMs, but on some Roval rims. Would you mind measuring the width of the tires mounted to the Derby rims? Really interested in seeing the width increase by going wider on the rims