Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Derby Wide Carbon Rims and On One Chunky Monkey

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MTB Pilot 
#1 ·
I have been running small tires and narrow rims and I have been wanting to try some different stuff. I have been doing more trail riding and less cx racing. Weight is no longer an issue, it's all about fun. So this is a rigid ss 29er which works good in my area as the trails are generally smooth with a few rough sections. I have been going with 20lbs in the tires front and rear. Front Chunkey Monkey 2.4 and rear Smorgasborge 2.25. The wheels feel stiff and I am not feeling any tire squirm at this low pressure. I was worried I would hate such a heavy tire, somewhere around 900 and 840 front and rear. They feel heavy but seem to roll good. California conditions are super dry and these probably work great in the wet, but I wasn't sliding or skidding with these tires in our dry conditions. I am loving the high volume wide tires, my confidence kept growing throughout the ride.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I just got the CM and Smorg mounted on my Derby's to use for a wider, cushier ride on my HT SS when riding chunky trails. Tried them out this morn on a 15 miler on a faster flowier trail that is all crushed granite and sand over hard pack and solid rock; These things have some damn good grip!!!! They don't feel that heavy and rolling resistance seemed pretty good. Well worth $35 a piece!:thumbsup: They setup tubeless with no problems on the Derby's.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.