mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Deore vs XT crank

I upgraded my crankset on my Felt Nine 60 to Shimano SLX. Not a fan if the silver finish. My LBS will swap out at no expense (other than difference between versions). When I went to SLX I only have two rings up front losing quite a few low gears. They called today and have a brand new Deore all black or an XT all silver that I could go to. Will I notice much between the Deore and the SLX? What about finding a black XT crankset. Would I notice much between the SLX and the XT?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If they are gonna do it as an even trade, go with the xt. It's a step up from the slx and two steps up from the deore. I gave up on trying to make my bike all matchy a long time ago.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They wouldn't be the same cost I just wouldnt lose anything on my current crankset. After checking out the XT in silver (ALL silver) it looks pretty good...Just dont wan't to go backwards.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    I don't think you would feel or notice a difference in the crank arms however the bearings and gear quality in the XT would be noticed.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Xt and slx crankarms are almost same weight... Aprox 595g for each The difference is in chainring materials and xt is lighter... I don't know about bb differences... Slx is more rigidity than xt
    Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    go silver. the black cranks will probably lose part of the finish anyways. I have yet to see a black crank without a spot of raw aluminum showing from ankle polish.

Another option with the SLX is get some crank skins to cover the silver.

mtbr member
    I have the Hollowtech Deore 3X10 now and was looking at the XT 3X10, they have them on sale now for around $299 I have not seen the 2X10 but I am not sure if there is much of a difference. For me they are both 24/32/42. Go for the XT, you can not go wrong with that group.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Going for the XT crank....added a few other goodies to my bike and picking it up tomorrow....can't wait.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have SLX 9-speed on my 26" full susser and find it excellent. I've got 10-speed XT on my new 29er hardtail and I prefer it. However, I'm convinced it's mainly the tighter 42-32-24 chain ring ratios mated with the 29er wheel size that I'm preferring. I'm reckon the 10speed SLX would be almost indistinguishable - especially if you have the current thumb-compatible XT trigger shifters which are superb.

PS. I haven't tried an SLX front mech so I can't comment on that, but I found my 9 speed SLX rear mech performance pretty much on a par with the 9-speed XT version. My buddy with XTR drivechain jumped on my SLX equipped Flux and was surprised at how good the shifting was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Boy, what a difference. I can really see a big change in how much faster and smoother the XT package is (upgraded everything to XT). Thanks for the advice.