Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    52

    Decided on stem - now handlebars

    Decided to go with a Thomson x4 stem after some recommendations here. Now I'm trying to decide on handlebars. I've narrowed it down to Easton EA70 Monkey bars or Nukeproof Warhead 760 bars. The Easton is 40mm rise and Nukeproof 38mm. I only need about 680mm width, and the Easton's are 685. The Nukeproof is 760mm but I can cut it down which the way I figure would put it close to the weight of the Easton. The Nukeproof bars are about $20 cheaper at $42. I am going to get some Raceface Sniper grips so the Nukeproof bars + grips would be around the price of the Easton bars alone. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,002
    Either way, you are going to end up with the same width (ie trimming vs stock).

    There is nothing in the rise.

    Pick one. Both will do the job equally well.

    Fit it and ride.

    EDIT - forgot to mention to check the sweep on the bars. Pick one you think will work for your wrists. Easton have their traditional backsweep, whcih works really well. Not sure of Nukeproof.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    52
    The Easton has a 9 degree backsweep, 5 degree upsweep. The Nukeproof has a 9 degree backsweep, 6 degree upsweep. I'm guessing the 1 degree upsweep is minimal difference and wouldn't be noticeable one way or the other? If bars are cut down to matching widths, would they both be identical (assuming the starting specs were equal)? In other words, does cutting bars down change any of the angles or anything? That might be a dumb question; I'm just not sure.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,002
    6 degree will still be 6 degree. But as you said, the difference is minimal.

    If it were me, I would just get the nukeproof and grips and be done with it. Save the money for later.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    6 degree will still be 6 degree. But as you said, the difference is minimal.

    If it were me, I would just get the nukeproof and grips and be done with it. Save the money for later.
    Yep, I think that's the direction I'm headed.

  6. #6
    Andrew
    Reputation: drizzoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    170
    I really like my Answer protaper 685's. Nice lightweight riser bars with 8 deg sweep. For $39 at pricepoint they're definitely worth looking into. That being said, Easton and Nukeproof both make nice products, I'm sure you'll be happy either way.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

  7. #7
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by blammo585 View Post
    Decided to go with a Thomson x4 stem after some recommendations here. Now I'm trying to decide on handlebars. I've narrowed it down to Easton EA70 Monkey bars or Nukeproof Warhead 760 bars. The Easton is 40mm rise and Nukeproof 38mm. I only need about 680mm width, and the Easton's are 685. The Nukeproof is 760mm but I can cut it down which the way I figure would put it close to the weight of the Easton. The Nukeproof bars are about $20 cheaper at $42. I am going to get some Raceface Sniper grips so the Nukeproof bars + grips would be around the price of the Easton bars alone. What do you guys think?
    If you are going to end up cutting 40mm off each end of the Nukeproof, make sure there is enough room for your grips and controls before the bend in the bar.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    If you are going to end up cutting 40mm off each end of the Nukeproof, make sure there is enough room for your grips and controls before the bend in the bar.
    Wouldn't the bend be a "normal" bend like any other?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •