Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Certified Moots Whore...

Good job! Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear derail

Hey guys,

I just wanted to confirm that you can absolutely run the new sram xx1 crankset with an entire sram 10 speed drive train.

Currently running:
    Sram XX1 crankset
    Sram XX shifter / brakes
    Sram X0 type 2 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    PC-1071 hollow pin chain
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette (more cogs on alloy carrier)

Have about 100 miles on this setup and it has not failed once. My old sram xx would occasionally drop a chain in the chunky stuff, but this xx1 stuff is the bomb.

I wouldn't waste my time posting this, but I know alot of guys (including myself) don't want to throw $400+ at a cassette and then still need a 11 speed shifter, rear derailleur, chain, and hub body.

Yes, you are giving up some gearing. But it is nice and silent and shaves about 0.75 lbs off your bike. I am currently testing a 32 and 34 tooth to see which I prefer. I never was 100% satisfied with the 2x10 offerings from sram and I think this will be the ticket until we see some 11 speed x0 parts trickle down.

I will probably end up on a full xx1 group down the road, but this is an easy way to give the whole 1x10or11 a try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good to know!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. My wife is interested in a new hardtail with a little more versatility than a single speed, but still fairly simple. We have been talking about 1x10 and I was thinking the XX1 crank could be good for that.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm going to be running much the same on my wife's new Air9 RDO that I'm building up as a play bike for her.

But I am getting a friend to machine up a couple of spiders that will fit on our X0 cranks that we have many of & just use the XX1 front rings.

Then I will use the 10 speed setup with Type 2 rear Derailleur.

I'm loving the full XX1 on my bike.

11 is one louder than 10

Machining spiders?

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm going to be running much the same on my wife's new Air9 RDO that I'm building up as a play bike for her.

But I am getting a friend to machine up a couple of spiders that will fit on our X0 cranks that we have many of & just use the XX1 front rings.

Would LOVE to see someone machine up a spider for the Cannondale hollowgram cranks that would allow me to use a XX1 front chainring.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member

The XX1 spider would bolt up to any SRAM carbon cranks with a removable spider. I don't know if SRAM has or wants to sell them though.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    The XX1 spider would bolt up to any SRAM carbon cranks with a removable spider. I don't know if SRAM has or wants to sell them though.
    Yes I know that, I have taken the spider off my XX1 cranks & getting my friend to make some.

The GXP & BB30 are not the same.

aka The Oxx
    It would be cool if someone made chainrings to fit a 104 BCD

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    @ Something Clever...How about pics of your setup? How is the chainline?

mtbr member
    What about the other way round? 11 spd cassette and triple crank at the front with 11 spd chain?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't get it. Why buy a $300 crank and an extra $100 ring when you could have just run some kind of chain retention device for $100 or less ?

You're not even using the 30t or 28t rings, which is the one feature of this crank I can get behind.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Yes I know that, I have taken the spider off my XX1 cranks & getting my friend to make some.

How much would your friend charge to make me one too? Looking for a XX1 spider so I can convert my XO BB30 cranks.

PM me if you think he would do it.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Thank you, Something Clever...!! I plan on doing this set up but wasn't sure if it'll work. That's good to know I can use my current setup including the 10spd chain.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Clever... View Post
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to confirm that you can absolutely run the new sram xx1 crankset with an entire sram 10 speed drive train.

Currently running:
    Sram XX1 crankset
    Sram XX shifter / brakes
    Sram X0 type 2 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    PC-1071 hollow pin chain
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette (more cogs on alloy carrier)

Have about 100 miles on this setup and it has not failed once. My old sram xx would occasionally drop a chain in the chunky stuff, but this xx1 stuff is the bomb.

I wouldn't waste my time posting this, but I know alot of guys (including myself) don't want to throw $400+ at a cassette and then still need a 11 speed shifter, rear derailleur, chain, and hub body.

Yes, you are giving up some gearing. But it is nice and silent and shaves about 0.75 lbs off your bike. I am currently testing a 32 and 34 tooth to see which I prefer. I never was 100% satisfied with the 2x10 offerings from sram and I think this will be the ticket until we see some 11 speed x0 parts trickle down.

I will probably end up on a full xx1 group down the road, but this is an easy way to give the whole 1x10or11 a try.

Btw, which one do you have? 156 or 168Q?

mtbr member
    Just marking my place. Thanks for the info OP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just marking my place. Thanks for the info OP.

mtbr member
    What chain are you running?

Erik

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Interest in XX1 spider

I've got a GXP Truvativ XO carbon crankset and would love to try out one of your spiders for use with an XX1 chainring. How long before you have some?

Certified Moots Whore...
    running pc-1071 chain and q168 (wider of the two) crankset.

i have swapped over to a 34 tooth and like it for the fire roads i use for training.

i am going to be using this setup at southern cross as prep for cohutta 100. hoping the 34 tooth is not too tall for the climbs and not too short on the fire road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Would LOVE to see someone machine up a spider for the Cannondale hollowgram cranks that would allow me to use a XX1 front chainring.
    Here it is:
    New XX1 Spider for... | Facebook

mtbr member
    Having hard time seeing any advantage to XX1 crankset for this setup vs. a XO w/MRP BlingRing..given the later is surely lighter, has great chainline and very stiff. Can someone enlighten me?

Also - can anyone reading this thread confirm (ie has tried it) a short cage Type 2 has capacity for a 32t front ring (single) and a 11-36 w/o clunking?
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    A short cage type 2 derailleur can absolutely handle a 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 cassette without issue; that's exactly the setup that I run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Reasoning

Do you have to run a chain guide with the BlingRing? If so I would think the weights would even out. The other advantage is you can run a 28 or 30 front.

Also the cost of the XX1 Crankset is $260. XO crankset is $431 plus $70 for the Bling Ring. So you are paying twice as much and that doesn't even include a chain guide. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Having hard time seeing any advantage to XX1 crankset for this setup vs. a XO w/MRP BlingRing..given the later is surely lighter, has great chainline and very stiff. Can someone enlighten me?

Also - can anyone reading this thread confirm (ie has tried it) a short cage Type 2 has capacity for a 32t front ring (single) and a 11-36 w/o clunking?

mtbr member
    With a clutch deraileur, it's debateable whether you need guide on a BlingRing.... and street pricing on an XO crankset shows they can be had for sub $300. Better still get the X9 for cheap and you're still ahead on weight.
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    The XX1 is available online from at least two different stores for 240 or slightly less and prices will continue to drop. Jenson will match those prices. I'd sell what you have and buy the whole kit. Besides cost and the twist version ghost shifting I haven't read a complaint yet.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast