• 12-08-2012
    Something Clever...
    Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear derail
    Hey guys,

    I just wanted to confirm that you can absolutely run the new sram xx1 crankset with an entire sram 10 speed drive train.

    Currently running:
    Sram XX1 crankset
    Sram XX shifter / brakes
    Sram X0 type 2 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    PC-1071 hollow pin chain
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette (more cogs on alloy carrier)

    Have about 100 miles on this setup and it has not failed once. My old sram xx would occasionally drop a chain in the chunky stuff, but this xx1 stuff is the bomb.

    I wouldn't waste my time posting this, but I know alot of guys (including myself) don't want to throw $400+ at a cassette and then still need a 11 speed shifter, rear derailleur, chain, and hub body.

    Yes, you are giving up some gearing. But it is nice and silent and shaves about 0.75 lbs off your bike. I am currently testing a 32 and 34 tooth to see which I prefer. I never was 100% satisfied with the 2x10 offerings from sram and I think this will be the ticket until we see some 11 speed x0 parts trickle down.

    I will probably end up on a full xx1 group down the road, but this is an easy way to give the whole 1x10or11 a try.

    :thumbsup:
  • 12-08-2012
    Torque Wrench
    Good to know!
  • 12-08-2012
    Polk
    Thanks for the info. My wife is interested in a new hardtail with a little more versatility than a single speed, but still fairly simple. We have been talking about 1x10 and I was thinking the XX1 crank could be good for that.
  • 12-08-2012
    muzzanic
    I'm going to be running much the same on my wife's new Air9 RDO that I'm building up as a play bike for her.

    But I am getting a friend to machine up a couple of spiders that will fit on our X0 cranks that we have many of & just use the XX1 front rings.

    Then I will use the 10 speed setup with Type 2 rear Derailleur.

    I'm loving the full XX1 on my bike.
  • 12-08-2012
    Green Giant
    Machining spiders?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm going to be running much the same on my wife's new Air9 RDO that I'm building up as a play bike for her.

    But I am getting a friend to machine up a couple of spiders that will fit on our X0 cranks that we have many of & just use the XX1 front rings.

    Then I will use the 10 speed setup with Type 2 rear Derailleur.

    I'm loving the full XX1 on my bike.


    Would LOVE to see someone machine up a spider for the Cannondale hollowgram cranks that would allow me to use a XX1 front chainring.
  • 12-11-2012
    krispy@go-ride.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm going to be running much the same on my wife's new Air9 RDO that I'm building up as a play bike for her.

    But I am getting a friend to machine up a couple of spiders that will fit on our X0 cranks that we have many of & just use the XX1 front rings.

    Then I will use the 10 speed setup with Type 2 rear Derailleur.

    I'm loving the full XX1 on my bike.

    The XX1 spider would bolt up to any SRAM carbon cranks with a removable spider. I don't know if SRAM has or wants to sell them though.
  • 12-11-2012
    muzzanic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    The XX1 spider would bolt up to any SRAM carbon cranks with a removable spider. I don't know if SRAM has or wants to sell them though.

    Yes I know that, I have taken the spider off my XX1 cranks & getting my friend to make some.

    The GXP & BB30 are not the same.
  • 12-12-2012
    rojomas
    It would be cool if someone made chainrings to fit a 104 BCD
  • 12-13-2012
    fcaw11
    @ Something Clever...How about pics of your setup? How is the chainline?
  • 12-13-2012
    Davidcopperfield
    What about the other way round? 11 spd cassette and triple crank at the front with 11 spd chain?
  • 12-13-2012
    92gli
    I don't get it. Why buy a $300 crank and an extra $100 ring when you could have just run some kind of chain retention device for $100 or less ?

    You're not even using the 30t or 28t rings, which is the one feature of this crank I can get behind.
  • 12-13-2012
    AOK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes I know that, I have taken the spider off my XX1 cranks & getting my friend to make some.

    The GXP & BB30 are not the same.

    How much would your friend charge to make me one too? Looking for a XX1 spider so I can convert my XO BB30 cranks.

    PM me if you think he would do it.
  • 12-28-2012
    Tjay
    Thank you, Something Clever...!! I plan on doing this set up but wasn't sure if it'll work. That's good to know I can use my current setup including the 10spd chain.
  • 12-29-2012
    Tjay
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Something Clever... View Post
    Hey guys,

    I just wanted to confirm that you can absolutely run the new sram xx1 crankset with an entire sram 10 speed drive train.

    Currently running:
    Sram XX1 crankset
    Sram XX shifter / brakes
    Sram X0 type 2 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    PC-1071 hollow pin chain
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette (more cogs on alloy carrier)

    Have about 100 miles on this setup and it has not failed once. My old sram xx would occasionally drop a chain in the chunky stuff, but this xx1 stuff is the bomb.

    I wouldn't waste my time posting this, but I know alot of guys (including myself) don't want to throw $400+ at a cassette and then still need a 11 speed shifter, rear derailleur, chain, and hub body.

    Yes, you are giving up some gearing. But it is nice and silent and shaves about 0.75 lbs off your bike. I am currently testing a 32 and 34 tooth to see which I prefer. I never was 100% satisfied with the 2x10 offerings from sram and I think this will be the ticket until we see some 11 speed x0 parts trickle down.

    I will probably end up on a full xx1 group down the road, but this is an easy way to give the whole 1x10or11 a try.

    :thumbsup:

    Btw, which one do you have? 156 or 168Q?
  • 12-30-2012
    limba
    Just marking my place. Thanks for the info OP.
  • 12-30-2012
    Art.C
    Just marking my place. Thanks for the info OP.
  • 12-30-2012
    bedell99
    What chain are you running?

    Erik
  • 12-30-2012
    jhbeeton
    Interest in XX1 spider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes I know that, I have taken the spider off my XX1 cranks & getting my friend to make some.

    The GXP & BB30 are not the same.

    I've got a GXP Truvativ XO carbon crankset and would love to try out one of your spiders for use with an XX1 chainring. How long before you have some?
  • 12-31-2012
    Something Clever...
    running pc-1071 chain and q168 (wider of the two) crankset.

    i have swapped over to a 34 tooth and like it for the fire roads i use for training.

    i am going to be using this setup at southern cross as prep for cohutta 100. hoping the 34 tooth is not too tall for the climbs and not too short on the fire road.
  • 12-31-2012
    Machianera
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Would LOVE to see someone machine up a spider for the Cannondale hollowgram cranks that would allow me to use a XX1 front chainring.

    Here it is:
    New XX1 Spider for... | Facebook
  • 01-01-2013
    islander
    Having hard time seeing any advantage to XX1 crankset for this setup vs. a XO w/MRP BlingRing..given the later is surely lighter, has great chainline and very stiff. Can someone enlighten me?

    Also - can anyone reading this thread confirm (ie has tried it) a short cage Type 2 has capacity for a 32t front ring (single) and a 11-36 w/o clunking?
  • 01-01-2013
    hartwerks
    A short cage type 2 derailleur can absolutely handle a 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 cassette without issue; that's exactly the setup that I run.
  • 01-02-2013
    enderjs
    Reasoning
    Do you have to run a chain guide with the BlingRing? If so I would think the weights would even out. The other advantage is you can run a 28 or 30 front.

    Also the cost of the XX1 Crankset is $260. XO crankset is $431 plus $70 for the Bling Ring. So you are paying twice as much and that doesn't even include a chain guide. Seems like a no brainer to me.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Having hard time seeing any advantage to XX1 crankset for this setup vs. a XO w/MRP BlingRing..given the later is surely lighter, has great chainline and very stiff. Can someone enlighten me?

    Also - can anyone reading this thread confirm (ie has tried it) a short cage Type 2 has capacity for a 32t front ring (single) and a 11-36 w/o clunking?

  • 01-02-2013
    islander
    With a clutch deraileur, it's debateable whether you need guide on a BlingRing.... and street pricing on an XO crankset shows they can be had for sub $300. Better still get the X9 for cheap and you're still ahead on weight.
  • 01-02-2013
    limba
    The XX1 is available online from at least two different stores for 240 or slightly less and prices will continue to drop. Jenson will match those prices. I'd sell what you have and buy the whole kit. Besides cost and the twist version ghost shifting I haven't read a complaint yet.
  • 01-03-2013
    jackattack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hartwerks View Post
    A short cage type 2 derailleur can absolutely handle a 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 cassette without issue; that's exactly the setup that I run.

    How about a 34T ring with a 11-36 cassette with a type 2 short cage?
  • 01-03-2013
    AOK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    How about a 34T ring with a 11-36 cassette with a type 2 short cage?

    I don't think it matters that your front ring is larger. You might need a longer chain, but the front ring doesn't affect dérailleur capacity in a single ring setup.

    Your derailleur must handle a capacity of (front largest - front smallest) + (rear largest - rear smallest). For a single ring with 11/36 cassette this is 25T.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 01-25-2013
    saki
    to op are you running shimano dyna sys cassette as i would like to run xtr with xx0 type 2 short cage derailleur but do not want any shifting problems thanks in advance
  • 01-25-2013
    tooclosetosee
    Anybody try the 2013 XT rear w/ clutch with the XX1 crank/chainrings. I am thinking about going from 2x10 with heavy stock cranks and going with XX1 cranks. Does the SRAM type 2 provide more tension than the XT w/ clutch?
  • 02-06-2013
    tooclosetosee
    Well the XX1 cranks have been shipped so I guess I will find out. It will be 1x10 with XX1 cranks and a 2013 Shimano XT RD w/ clutch. I'm not planning on running a chain retention device for mostly XC riding.
  • 02-06-2013
    needajob
    I have been running xx1 cranks with a SRAM X9 type 2 on my Air 9 for a couple of months now. No chain retention device and I ride mostly XC. I have not even came close to dropping the chain. I used to run RaceFace Evolve with a bashguard and N-stop and if I removed the N-stop I would drop the chain often. This set up is very quiet and shifts smooth with a KMC chain and SRAM cassette.
  • 02-06-2013
    spsoon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Well the XX1 cranks have been shipped so I guess I will find out. It will be 1x10 with XX1 cranks and a 2013 Shimano XT RD w/ clutch. I'm not planning on running a chain retention device for mostly XC riding.

    I have the exact same setup coming in the mail. I went with the Shimano RD because it seems their clutch is adjustable so you can control the tension to some degree. It also seems that Type 2 may still have some bugs to iron out:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...es-811526.html
  • 02-06-2013
    syl3
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Machianera View Post

    You can buy it here:

    LEONARDI RACING Spider LK76 für Cannondale Hollowgram Sram XX1 schwar
  • 02-08-2013
    Sevenz
    I have a brand new GXP xx1 spider w/32t ring that I'm looking to trade for the BB30 version of the same...Would possibly be interested in a slightly smaller ring say a 30t also...Let me know if anyone has anthing...

    ***Some background...Bought the gxp xx1 Cranks for my SS...Pulled off the xx1 spider and ring and put a bling ring on...Want to try the xx1 spider and ring on my FS that has XO cranks but it's the BB30 version***
  • 02-08-2013
    tooclosetosee
    yea, I will also be running with a long cage RD. I guess I will see how that works. I might have to get a shorter cage if I get chain drops.
  • 02-14-2013
    kfb66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by needajob View Post
    I have been running xx1 cranks with a SRAM X9 type 2 on my Air 9 for a couple of months now. No chain retention device and I ride mostly XC. I have not even came close to dropping the chain. I used to run RaceFace Evolve with a bashguard and N-stop and if I removed the N-stop I would drop the chain often. This set up is very quiet and shifts smooth with a KMC chain and SRAM cassette.

    I'm in the process of building an Air9 RDO and plan to go with 1x10 setup. Will the XX1 Crankset work with a PF30 BB? Looking at SRAM site, looks like only GXP or BB30?

    Also wanted to confirm the XX1 Rings work good with a regular KMC 10 spd chain (X10SL)?

    Thanks
  • 02-14-2013
    pwu_1
    subscribed
  • 02-14-2013
    DerBergschreck
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by needajob View Post
    I have been running xx1 cranks with a SRAM X9 type 2 on my Air 9 for a couple of months now. No chain retention device and I ride mostly XC. I have not even came close to dropping the chain.

    If you want a cheap 1x10 a Shimano ZEE with a 32t Surly singlespeed chainring works very good and you get 95% of SRAM XX1 quality for less money.
  • 02-14-2013
    tooclosetosee
    BB30 and PF30 use the same cranks. Just dif bb methods to get the same results. I don't see why using any 10 speed chain wouldn't work.
  • 02-14-2013
    tooclosetosee
    Yea, in my situation I am getting carbon cranks and a SS specific ring for 325 to upgrade over my stock x7 level cranks. I already have an xt with clutch. Made sense to me.
  • 02-14-2013
    kfb66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    BB30 and PF30 use the same cranks. Just dif bb methods to get the same results. I don't see why using any 10 speed chain wouldn't work.

    That's great news then! I wonder why SRAM doesn't list PF30 as an option at their site? For the X9, XO, and XX Cranksets they have this note:

    Available in the following bottom bracket configurations: PF30, BB30, GXP and GXP PF

    But for the XX1 Crankset they only list two BB's?

    Bottom Bracket BB30, GXP

    I guess the XX1 11 spd chain is only necessary when using the XX1 cassette?

    Thanks
  • 02-14-2013
    spsoon
    I'm guessing that's because the X9, X0, XX cranks often include the BB where the XX1 does not.
  • 02-14-2013
    Tjay
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    If you want a cheap 1x10 a Shimano ZEE with a 32t Surly singlespeed chainring works very good and you get 95% of SRAM XX1 quality for less money.

    I have X9 type 2 with 32T niner SS ring. I had put it 200 miles with this setup on my hardtail and finally over the weekend, I dropped the chain doing 27 mph on a rocky/bumpy (3-5" stutter bumps). Are the teeth on the Surly SS ring same height as the XX1's? The only reason why the XX1's are not dropping chain is because of the height of the teeth ( I think ).
  • 02-14-2013
    islander
    Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear d
    XX1 ring tooth profile is proprietary- unlike all the other ss rings
  • 02-14-2013
    DerBergschreck
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Are the teeth on the Surly SS ring same height as the XX1's? The only reason why the XX1's are not dropping chain is because of the height of the teeth ( I think ).

    Have non SRAM ring here to compare. The secret are high teeth an a snug fit of a 10speed chain on the thick teeth. I rode some bumpy trails on a rigid bike and didn't loose the chain.
  • 02-14-2013
    WFOracer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by islander View Post
    XX1 ring tooth profile is proprietary- unlike all the other ss rings

    Calling your bluff... show me proof (patent).
  • 02-14-2013
    WFOracer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by islander View Post
    XX1 ring tooth profile is proprietary- unlike all the other ss rings

    If fact.... I got a $100 for you if you can find one.
  • 02-15-2013
    islander
    Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear d
    This poster makes 1x rings, so it's in his interest not to get sued. Go ahead copy the sram tech, see what happens.
    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2716454#post2716454
  • 02-15-2013
    Ventana
    I was told gxp spider fits bb30 arms. I guess not, as you would have tried that.
  • 02-19-2013
    tezi
    1 Attachment(s)
    I have been running XX1 cranks with XTR+ rear mech. I don't think I'll need chain guide with the rear mech but time will tell. Other than that, the drivetrain is completely silent and shifting is flawless. It works just like a dream, so smooooooth :)
    Here is a pic what I'm running:

    Attachment 773454
  • 02-19-2013
    PCTele
    subscribed
  • 02-20-2013
    tooclosetosee
    Anybody have any thoughts on the 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 10 speed cassette? Does it feel too light, stiff, or just about right?

    I have a HT that is set 2x9 32-22 and 11-32 cassette and I ride 98% of the time in the 32 ring. For the most part when I am on dirt I don't feel like I need anything more than the 32x11, but I will spin it out on pavement. On the other hand the 36 tooth cassette does help out on the lower end, but I am not going to have the range that I do with the 22x32 combo on my HT and don't want to go too stiff.

    Eventually I think I will get a 34 ring and a 30 ring and swap them per the terrain that I am riding.
  • 02-20-2013
    kfb66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Anybody have any thoughts on the 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 10 speed cassette? Does it feel too light, stiff, or just about right?

    I have a HT that is set 2x9 32-22 and 11-32 cassette and I ride 98% of the time in the 32 ring. For the most part when I am on dirt I don't feel like I need anything more than the 32x11, but I will spin it out on pavement. On the other hand the 36 tooth cassette does help out on the lower end, but I am not going to have the range that I do with the 22x32 combo on my HT and don't want to go too stiff.

    Eventually I think I will get a 34 ring and a 30 ring and swap them per the terrain that I am riding.

    I ran 1x10 with a 32t ring, 11-36 cassette all last season. Worked great for pretty much everything I ride, but really depends on your trails and terrain?

    As you said, you might run out of gears on paved stretches, but on the dirt I never felt like I needed more. Now if you ride a lot of fire roads or long flat double-track, 34t ring might be the better option?
  • 02-20-2013
    EpicFSR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tezi View Post
    I have been running XX1 cranks with XTR+ rear mech. I don't think I'll need chain guide with the rear mech but time will tell. Other than that, the drivetrain is completely silent and shifting is flawless. It works just like a dream, so smooooooth :)
    Here is a pic what I'm running:

    Attachment 773454


    Any 10sp chain will work.?
  • 02-23-2013
    Something Clever...
    can anyone confirm that the xx1 spider for gxp and bb30 cranksets are different? neither say gxp or bb30 and neither is marked with a sram product code. i am only looking at pics of the bb30 spider as i own gxp versions.

    i know x9/x0 spiders come in both gxp and bb30 but can't find any info on bb30 version of xx1.
  • 02-24-2013
    tezi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    Any 10sp chain will work.?

    Yeah it will eat any 10spd chain nicely! Propably all other chains as well, it's really clever engineering I must say.
  • 03-06-2013
    Sheepo5669
    XX1 Crank + type 2 derailleur + NO chain guide.

    Anyone run this?

    It would be cool to shave 70g of a paul chain keeper, but it wouldnt be worth it to drop even 1 chain a month.
  • 03-07-2013
    LIV2RYD
    I am a SS but I recently put together an option for certain rides/times of year on my new Pivot Les. I run a Sram Force 10 sp road der with a shimano ultegra 11-23 cassette, XX 10sp shifter and Sram 1091R 10 sp chain. I call it a SS with options. Works killer and doesn't need a chainguide up front with my XX1 crankset/chainring (32T). Super fast shifts and no dropped chains so far.
  • 03-10-2013
    GraemeTee
    Does anyone run the XX1 crankset with a 9sp chain?
    I'm planning an SS build and would quite like to use the XX1 crankset.
  • 03-10-2013
    Jim_bo
    so, what was the consensus on the chainring size?
  • 03-10-2013
    ss29er
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by islander View Post
    This poster makes 1x rings, so it's in his interest not to get sued. Go ahead copy the sram tech, see what happens.
    MRP Bling Rings - Page 2 - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

    Check these:
    e*13 Prototype Chain Rings - First Look - Pinkbike
    wolftoothcomponents.com
  • 03-10-2013
    Something Clever...
    hey bud, it's gavin from bham. that is my current setup. xx1 crank and xo type 2 rear derailleur with no chain guide. running this on 2 bikes without a single issue.
  • 03-11-2013
    ronnieboy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Something Clever... View Post
    Hey guys,

    I just wanted to confirm that you can absolutely run the new sram xx1 crankset with an entire sram 10 speed drive train.

    Currently running:
    Sram XX1 crankset
    Sram XX shifter / brakes
    Sram X0 type 2 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    PC-1071 hollow pin chain
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette (more cogs on alloy carrier)

    Have about 100 miles on this setup and it has not failed once. My old sram xx would occasionally drop a chain in the chunky stuff, but this xx1 stuff is the bomb.

    I wouldn't waste my time posting this, but I know alot of guys (including myself) don't want to throw $400+ at a cassette and then still need a 11 speed shifter, rear derailleur, chain, and hub body.

    Yes, you are giving up some gearing. But it is nice and silent and shaves about 0.75 lbs off your bike. I am currently testing a 32 and 34 tooth to see which I prefer. I never was 100% satisfied with the 2x10 offerings from sram and I think this will be the ticket until we see some 11 speed x0 parts trickle down.

    I will probably end up on a full xx1 group down the road, but this is an easy way to give the whole 1x10or11 a try.

    :thumbsup:

    Hi, Im building a Chromag Stylus hardtail. I was wondering if this setup would work.

    XX1 crankset GXP - 32T
    XO Type 2 derailleur (short cage)
    XO Shifter and Brakes
    SRAM XG-1080 Cassette 11-36T
    SRAM PC 1091R

    Thanks for the info!
  • 03-13-2013
    Something Clever...
    yes, that setup will work great.
  • 03-14-2013
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Something Clever... View Post
    hey bud, it's gavin from bham. that is my current setup. xx1 crank and xo type 2 rear derailleur with no chain guide. running this on 2 bikes without a single issue.

    Dope! Thanks man.
    I cant wait to try it out.
  • 03-18-2013
    tooclosetosee
    Had my first ride last Friday with XX1 cranks and an XT RD with clutch and no chain retention. The trails that I rode were pretty tame but I didn't have any issues at all. I ended up taking out two full links of chain going from the 38 to 32 chainrings to help avoid any chainslap. I didn't think about it for the whole ride. The only thing that was on my mind was the new gear ratios. I'll have to report back after I ride more technical trails.
  • 03-18-2013
    ds33gt
    I'm running a XX 1098 11-36 cassette, XX1 32T crank, and an XO type 2. This setup flat out works and is super quiet, no noise whatsoever.

    I had a PC-1091 Sram chain on this and just switched to a KMC x10sl. Both chains worked flawlessly...

    Only reason I could see needing the specific 11 speed chain would be because of the 11 speed cassette spacing.
  • 03-19-2013
    Mislav_B
    Hello,

    I'm in need of assistance.

    I would like to get the XX1 Crank for and was wondering if the following setup would work:

    Crank XX1
    Rear Derailleur XO (NOT the type 2) medium cage
    Shifter X9
    Cassette SRAM PG 1070, 11x36 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10SL




    Thank you!
  • 03-19-2013
    springer912
    [QUOTE=tezi;10189653]Yeah it will eat any 10spd chain nicely! Propably all other chains as well, it's really clever engineering I must say.[/QUOTE

    is anyone running a full sram xx1 system how is it? ?? would you buy it again??? Or is it just hype
  • 03-20-2013
    TwoNeener
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mislav_B View Post
    Hello,

    I'm in need of assistance.

    I would like to get the XX1 Crank for and was wondering if the following setup would work:

    Crank XX1
    Rear Derailleur XO (NOT the type 2) medium cage
    Shifter X9
    Cassette SRAM PG 1070, 11x36 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10SL

    Thank you!

    I can let you know tomorrow as I'm having my xx1 crank put on in the morning and have virtually the exact same setup except my rear derailleur is the long cage variety.
  • 03-20-2013
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Something Clever... View Post
    yes, that setup will work great.

    Gavin, you should update the first post and specifically state you are riding with NO chain guide. It may clarify things for dense posters like myself.
  • 03-20-2013
    fjtort2
    Will be riding XX1 32T crank on Spearfish. Soon Report back in a few weeks.

    XX1 32T Crank
    X9 Type 2 Rear Der.
    X9 10speed shifter
    XT cassette.
    KMC Chain.
  • 03-22-2013
    Something Clever...
    just tried to update/edit. for some reason it will not let me update the original post. maybe it is too old?
  • 03-22-2013
    TwoNeener
    Well I got my bike from the LBS yesterday with the xx1 crank installed. Unfortunately I realized, after I had gotten home of course, that a 156 Q factor crankset had been installed on my SB-95 instead of the 168 Q factor crank. I guess the wrong one was sent by the distributor. It clears the frame but, in just riding it down the street, I discovered that my heels hit the chainstays. Sigh.

    The crank looks really cool and everything seems to work perfectly. I desperately want to ride now.
  • 03-23-2013
    Mislav_B
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoNeener View Post
    Well I got my bike from the LBS yesterday with the xx1 crank installed. Unfortunately I realized, after I had gotten home of course, that a 156 Q factor crankset had been installed on my SB-95 instead of the 168 Q factor crank. I guess the wrong one was sent by the distributor. It clears the frame but, in just riding it down the street, I discovered that my heels hit the chainstays. Sigh.

    The crank looks really cool and everything seems to work perfectly. I desperately want to ride now.


    Oh man, thats too bad...how long until a replacement comes?
    Tnx for the info and please report back when you have some hours on it...

    Cheers
  • 03-23-2013
    Sheepo5669
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoNeener View Post
    Well I got my bike from the LBS yesterday with the xx1 crank installed. Unfortunately I realized, after I had gotten home of course, that a 156 Q factor crankset had been installed on my SB-95 instead of the 168 Q factor crank. I guess the wrong one was sent by the distributor. It clears the frame but, in just riding it down the street, I discovered that my heels hit the chainstays. Sigh.

    The crank looks really cool and everything seems to work perfectly. I desperately want to ride now.

    What are you doing with the crank?
  • 03-23-2013
    Anthem1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WFOracer View Post
    If fact.... I got a $100 for you if you can find one.

    Hey, I will accept paypal or cash:0) Look under the technology tab on this linky.
    Sram calls it x-sync, it is an alternating wide narrow tooth profile to mimic the wide narrow profile of any chain.


    SRAM XX1 Crankset | SRAM
  • 03-23-2013
    TwoNeener
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    What are you doing with the crank?

    So this has turned into quite a conundrum. I spoke with the LBS and they were going to take the Q156 crank back and reorder the Q168 for me, which would theoretically be in next Wednesday. Unfortunately, I got a phone call today to the effect of every distributor is out and nothing is available until the end of April. Yikes.

    I then thought briefly about just ordering the whole group, but $1200 was a bit unpalatable to me at the moment. So that was out as an option too.

    What we ended up doing was adding some pedal spacers (4-5 mm on each side) and that has made the difference. So I'm keeping the Q156 crank. It cleared the frame fine and I just needed a little extra space for my heels. Plus, I didn't want to wait until the end of April for this thing.

    Now, if it would just stop raining, I could go ride it.
  • 04-02-2013
    azpoolguy
    I installed my XX1 derailuer and shifter with a XT 10 speed cog and Sram 10 speed chain while I wait for the Stan's XD driver to ship. I took off the MRP1x I was using also. This is the quietest and most precise shifting I have ever experienced. I ran it up and down the ruffest trail I could find close by and had zero issues and zero noise. This system is dead silent.
  • 04-04-2013
    fueledbymetal
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    I'm running a XX 1098 11-36 cassette, XX1 32T crank, and an XO type 2. This setup flat out works and is super quiet, no noise whatsoever.

    ... KMC x10sl.

    Same setup here. Worked perfect on a trail that's dropped my SS chain when it wasn't set 100% correctly.
  • 04-05-2013
    41ants
    Have a air9 rdo frame on order, so I was wondering if anyone is running a 36T along with a 11x36? I am currently on a 34T with a 9spd 11x34 and have no issues with gearing, so I figured I would be fine as I am still going to have that 1:1 ratio.
  • 04-08-2013
    tooclosetosee
    I dropped a chain to the outside the other day on my XX1 front chain ring and XT rear derailleur with clutch. Scratched up the crank pretty good.

    I had gone over the same section multiple times with the same setup without any problems. Just an off camber log that I went over at probably 11mph and hit the rear wheel on it decently hard trying to bunny hop both wheels but couldn't clear it. Hopefully it was just a fluke as I have only had the crank on for 65 miles so far.

    I removed two full links going from the 38 on my double to the 32 tooth XX1 chainring. The chain length looks good to me. I didn't want to go too short as I am playing with the idea of having a 34 and 30 tooth chainrings for different terrain.

    I'm going to look into tightening up my clutch and see if that helps. The bike is only 6 months old and has less than 500 miles on it. I wouldn't think it would need to be tightened up that often, but I am unfamiliar with the clutch.
  • 04-08-2013
    azpoolguy
    I just installed my XX1 derailuer last week running on an XT 12x36 cog. I fallowed SRAMs directions on chain length for the XX1. I always have run my chain short with 1x set ups but it is really tight now. The bottom of the derailleur moves a 1/4" or less in the big-big cog set up.
  • 04-12-2013
    kardy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I installed my XX1 derailuer and shifter with a XT 10 speed cog and Sram 10 speed chain while I wait for the Stan's XD driver to ship. I took off the MRP1x I was using also. This is the quietest and most precise shifting I have ever experienced. I ran it up and down the ruffest trail I could find close by and had zero issues and zero noise. This system is dead silent.

    So you are running 11 speed shifter/der with a 10 speed cog? Isn't the spacing between cogs different?
  • 04-12-2013
    azpoolguy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kardy View Post
    So you are running 11 speed shifter/der with a 10 speed cog? Isn't the spacing between cogs different?

    Not by much. It runs perfectly from the 36 down until second from last cog at the small end. It is a little slow to shift down to the 12 but I don't use that gear often and it shifts back up really fast.

    I now have my XD driver and XX1 cog installed. But it is nice to know that I can swap back to the XT cog and 10 speed chain in a few minutes if I have any issues.
  • 04-12-2013
    sand0kan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    Have a air9 rdo frame on order, so I was wondering if anyone is running a 36T along with a 11x36? I am currently on a 34T with a 9spd 11x34 and have no issues with gearing, so I figured I would be fine as I am still going to have that 1:1 ratio.

    Max chainring on air 9 rdo is 32T. I have XX1 on it and there simply no more space for larger rings.
  • 04-12-2013
    A-Ray
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    I dropped a chain to the outside the other day on my XX1 front chain ring and XT rear derailleur with clutch. Scratched up the crank pretty good.

    I had gone over the same section multiple times with the same setup without any problems. Just an off camber log that I went over at probably 11mph and hit the rear wheel on it decently hard trying to bunny hop both wheels but couldn't clear it. Hopefully it was just a fluke as I have only had the crank on for 65 miles so far.

    I removed two full links going from the 38 on my double to the 32 tooth XX1 chainring. The chain length looks good to me. I didn't want to go too short as I am playing with the idea of having a 34 and 30 tooth chainrings for different terrain.

    I'm going to look into tightening up my clutch and see if that helps. The bike is only 6 months old and has less than 500 miles on it. I wouldn't think it would need to be tightened up that often, but I am unfamiliar with the clutch.

    I just ordered the XX1 yesterday for my new Stumpy Comp Carbon, with the same XT clutch rear der as yours.
    Hopefully it all works out! I may leave the front der on it for a little while just to make sure it does not jump off. May also try to find a BG for it, which would help it from jumping to the outside as well...
    Question, do you know what the approximate weight savings was from your old 2x10 crankset to this one? I am not much of a weight weenie, just curious... I think the current 2x crankset on mine (S-1250) is pretty heavy.
  • 04-12-2013
    tooclosetosee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    I just ordered the XX1 yesterday for my new Stumpy Comp Carbon, with the same XT clutch rear der as yours.
    Hopefully it all works out! I may leave the front der on it for a little while just to make sure it does not jump off. May also try to find a BG for it, which would help it from jumping to the outside as well...
    Question, do you know what the approximate weight savings was from your old 2x10 crankset to this one? I am not much of a weight weenie, just curious... I think the current 2x crankset on mine (S-1250) is pretty heavy.

    XX1 Crank
    793 1250 cranks
    139 FD
    160 Shifter + Cable

    560 XX1 Crank
    532g savings or 1.18 pounds.

    It got my Epic Comp Carbon down to 24.25 pounds with xpedo pedals and roval control carbon SL wheels. The only thing left that is a tank is the 1030 cassette and trying to decide if I want to wear it out, replace it with a 1080, or save up and go full XX1.
  • 04-12-2013
    A-Ray
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    XX1 Crank
    793 1250 cranks
    139 FD
    160 Shifter + Cable

    560 XX1 Crank
    532g savings or 1.18 pounds.

    It got my Epic Comp Carbon down to 24.25 pounds with xpedo pedals and roval control carbon SL wheels. The only thing left that is a tank is the 1030 cassette and trying to decide if I want to wear it out, replace it with a 1080, or save up and go full XX1.

    This additional weight savings info is great to know, thanks! Mine weighed in at 22lbs. 15oz. yesterday at the shop(with XTR pedals), before ordering the XX1.
    I too have the Carbon Rovals, XT cassette, Haven carbon bar, Loaded Stem and Skewers, SLX brakes (the Maguras sucked, IMO), Thomson post, Bontrager Evoke saddle, S-works tires.
  • 04-30-2013
    Nole
    Like EpicFSR, I'm running an XX1 crankset (with 32 tooth ring) and Shimano rear mech - in my case an XTR Shadow+. I'm running an XTR shifter, SRAM XO 11-36 cassette and KMC 10 speed chain. I have not dropped a chain once since adding the crankset to this drivetrain about 6 months ago and have ridden some pretty rough terrain on a short travel duallie (SC Blur XC Carbon). I wanted to get rid of the front mech, not add a chain device which means the BB area is just as cluttered. If you want to avoid the cost of the XX1 cranks - which I think are surprisingly inexpensive - try the wolfracing XX1 copy rings which fit your existing crankset. I'm 60 years old with hip and knee replacements and can climb most things with the 32 + 11-36 combo, so it should suit most riders.
  • 10-01-2013
    Coleman21d
    I have just finished my 1x10 build on my 2008 GT Avalanche Expert.
    Specs:
    X0 Trail Brakes 180mm front / 160mm rear
    Rockshox SID XX Dual Air Forks + Xloc
    X0 shifter
    X9 Type 2 short cage mech
    XX1 crank and 32 teeth chainring
    PG1070 11-36 Cassette
    PC1091R chain
    SRAM Rise 40 wheelset

  • 10-01-2013
    Dry Side
    I just switched to a X01 crankset with 30T chain ring w/11-36T cassette and type 2 X0 derailleur on my Niner J9 RDO. Working great. No chain drops (SRAM PC-1091R) and no climbs in Central Oregon that I have any trouble with.
  • 10-11-2013
    gregpinch
    Medium or long cage ?
    I need some help.

    Going to run a 38t XX1 ring with a 11-36 cassette. This is my city bike.

    Can I use a medium cage XO type 2 RD or do I have to use a long cage?
  • 10-11-2013
    muzzanic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gregpinch View Post
    I need some help.

    Going to run a 38t XX1 ring with a 11-36 cassette. This is my city bike.

    Can I use a medium cage XO type 2 RD or do I have to use a long cage?

    Med will work fine.
  • 10-11-2013
    gregpinch
    Thanks muzzanic.

    I just bought the medium cage RD but can't test it out as I am having a new frame built. I keep reading conflicting posts that I have to go with a long cage.
  • 10-11-2013
    muzzanic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gregpinch View Post
    Thanks muzzanic.

    I just bought the medium cage RD but can't test it out as I am having a new frame built. I keep reading conflicting posts that I have to go with a long cage.

    Med works well, I have 2 bikes setup that way.

    Front size only matters when you have 2 or 3 rings, with a single front ring nothing changes up front so the Derailieur only has to deal with the range on the rear cassette.
  • 10-11-2013
    gregpinch
    Great, that really helps.

    Ya, the posts that said I needed a long cage were 2 ring setups.

    Most relieved that I don't need to go buy another derailleur !
    :)
  • 10-11-2013
    muzzanic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gregpinch View Post
    Great, that really helps.

    Ya, the posts that said I needed a long cage were 2 ring setups.

    Most relieved that I don't need to go buy another derailleur !
    :)

    Yes You can even get away with med cage on 2 ring setup, It's only when going 3 rings that you should run the long cage.
  • 10-11-2013
    CrozCountry
    Similar setup (29er):
    • XO crank with 28 direct mount ring
    • XT cassette 11-36
    • XT med cage clutch derailleur
    • Chain guide

    So far so good, but also not enough time for a conclusion.
    I was thinking about the alternating rings of the XX1, but I cannot imagine not having a chain guide. Once you have a guide the flat ring works just fine. Cheaper and close weight even with the guide (~75 grams for direct mount ring and another 75 for guide).

    Guide = peace of mind.

    It will probably better with Zee short cage derailleur, but I am thinking about 11-40 cassette down the road and the Zee is too small for that.
  • 10-24-2013
    cyclerc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Well the XX1 cranks have been shipped so I guess I will find out. It will be 1x10 with XX1 cranks and a 2013 Shimano XT RD w/ clutch. I'm not planning on running a chain retention device for mostly XC riding.

    I using x01 crank with xt/clutch and work perfect with out retention device, my xc course include dh no chain drop!