Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Niner Air9 RDO with XX1 crank. Set up as 1x10 with 10 spd chain and XO Type2 rear der. Full race season completed over a variety of terrain ... NO chain guide and ZERO chain drops!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone running an X01 11sp cranks (32t or 34t) with X9 (type 2 10spd) med cage and XT 11-36? How is it working out?
    "By Your Command"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Running XX1 cranks with an Ultegra (same level as XT) 11-28 cassette with an X9 T2 derailleur. Works fine. Zero chain drops. What are you asking?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Works fine. Zero chain drops. What are you asking?
    Exactly that. Thanks.

Another question, will an X9 or X0 type 2 10spd derailleur work with a 11 spd cassette?
    "By Your Command"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Exactly that. Thanks.

Another question, will an X9 or X0 type 2 10spd derailleur work with a 11 spd cassette?
    Nope, it must be an XX1 or X01 derailleur, those are the only two right now, you'd also need an XX1 or X01 shifter.

If you have a 10spd and don't mind pushing a 28, 30 or 32t front ring and cassette as high as 36t, XX1 cranks are a great upgrade that saves a lot of weight and gives you all the benefits of the XX1 system (except the gear range of the 11spd cassette obviously). For many people this is not a problem. For many more, they quickly adapt to the gear combos and after a little bit of adaptation time, it's fine. For some riders, they have to have that 42t rear cassette cog (on the 11spd). Full XX1 is pricey though. I found XX1 cranks at $280 new, but you'll spend tons for the derailleur, cassette and shifter, and then your freewheel mechanism on your wheel has to be compatible too.

You can do a real "poor-mans" 1x10 spd setup (I consider the XX1 crank setup to be "poor mans" already) by getting one of many available "narrow-wide" chainrings to convert your current cranks into the setup, paired with any 10spd type 2/shimano clutch derailleur, you'll get the benefit of the chain sticking to the rings and not dropping.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Exactly that. Thanks.

Yes, If you only want to use the 1st 10 gears of the 11 speed cassette.

I have run both X0 & X9 10 speed shifter & derailleur setup with the 11speed cassette & just run it as a 42-11

You can't mix & match the 11speed shifters & derailleurs with the 10 speed stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was going to purchase a bike for next season, but changed my mind by taking the money and building a carbon fiber Chininer instead. Wanted to run 1x11, then I looked into the cost of the parts for it.

Didn't want to spend over a grand for just the gearing. The next best thing is a 1x10 setup, aka poor mans set up. In my case, a poorer mans set up as I'll be going with X0 11spd cranks. Having an 11-36 cassette with a 32t or 34t ring.

I'll take a second look at the 1x11 set up if prices comes down by the spring of next yr.

Thanks
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    To my surprise, I was able to run a 10 speed Ultegra 11-27 cassette on my XX1 setup. Just had to use the limit screw to block out the inner most position on the derailleur, and adjust the cable tension to the new cog positions. Only rode around the neighborhood, but it worked really well.

Crank: XX1 30t
    Der.: XX1
    Shifter: XX1
    Chain: XX1

(Want to use this setup for high road miles in winter, and didn't want to trash a $400 XX1 cassette)
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    To my surprise, I was able to run a 10 speed Ultegra 11-27 cassette on my XX1 setup. Just had to use the limit screw to block out the inner most position on the derailleur, and adjust the cable tension to the new cog positions. Only rode around the neighborhood, but it worked really well.

Crank: XX1 30t
    Der.: XX1
    Shifter: XX1
    Chain: XX1

(Want to use this setup for high road miles in winter, and didn't want to trash a $400 XX1 cassette)
    Yes I sometimes one of my wheels with 10 speed cassette with old tyre on it so i'm not thrashing good tires. when not needing good ones.

mtbr member
    Exactly that. Thanks.
    Well not exactly. He is running 11-28 and you want to run 11-36. In your setup there will be a more clack chain, and more chances that it will fly off the front ring.
    I would only make conclusions for a 36 cassette from setups that use 36 cassette.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Well not exactly. He is running 11-28 and you want to run 11-36. In your setup there will be a more clack chain, and more chances that it will fly off the front ring.
    I would only make conclusions for a 36 cassette from setups that use 36 cassette.
    I Have run the 36 cassette just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm running 1x10 without any problems!
    Setup:
    XX1 Crank
    XX1 Chain
    X0 type 2 derraileur short cage
    XT 10sp cassette 12-36

Best setup i've ever had!
    Pain is bread in french.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just adding to this thread, hopefully someone finds it helpful.

I ran 1x9 with a sram XX1 crank, 10 speed chain, and a sram x0 9 speed LONG cage non-clutched derailleur - FAR from ideal.

Over about 400 miles, I only dropped the chain 4-5 times, and I regularly ride aggressive terrain. This leads me to believe that the chain ring is doing a lot of the "heavy lifting" when it comes to chain retention. I have since switched to a shimano ZEE clutched derailleur and will report my findings as I put more miles on this setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Im View Post
    Just adding to this thread, hopefully someone finds it helpful.

I ran 1x9 with a sram XX1 crank, 10 speed chain, and a sram x0 9 speed LONG cage non-clutched derailleur - FAR from ideal.

Over about 400 miles, I only dropped the chain 4-5 times, and I regularly ride aggressive terrain. This leads me to believe that the chain ring is doing a lot of the "heavy lifting" when it comes to chain retention. I have since switched to a shimano ZEE clutched derailleur and will report my findings as I put more miles on this setup.
    I mean it is all a matter of opinion, but I would say that the clutched derailleur picks up half of the issues. They are so nice. I have one that I can flip a switch on and off (maybe they all do that) and it is night and day.

You should do an experiment with your setup and ride it with the zee and a regular chain ring and see how many drops you have over 500 miles.

I will continue riding my XX1 ring and XT w/ clutch

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hello
    I'm going to build FS bike on chinese carbon frame with xx1 crank. I alredy have:
    1) xx1 156 q-factor crank for BB30
    2) sram 10s 1090 chain
    3) sram 10s 1070 cassete
    and going to set sram x0 type rear derailleur

Could you pls tell me if this setup will work good cuz i don't quite understand is there some special cassete/chain needed for xx1 crank?
    Also short cage of x9 type 2 would be good or better to set medium?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by horseinthesky View Post
    Hello
    I'm going to build FS bike on chinese carbon frame with xx1 crank. I alredy have:
    1) xx1 156 q-factor crank for BB30
    2) sram 10s 1090 chain
    3) sram 10s 1070 cassete
    and going to set sram x0 type rear derailleur

Could you pls tell me if this setup will work good cuz i don't quite understand is there some special cassete/chain needed for xx1 crank?
    Also short cage of x9 type 2 would be good or better to set medium?
    That setup will work fine ( Use a Med cage though ) The 10 speed chain will work fine.

mtbr member
    Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear derail-photo.jpg

I got bored with my current 2x10 system, so tried the 1x10 with the XX1 on my XTR cassette + RD=M986 so far, its living up to the hype.

I live near the mtns, where i can do 2000" vertical in 3 miles. So i opted for the 28T.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by scsigoer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	1040 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	845422

I got bored with my current 2x10 system, so tried the 1x10 with the XX1 on my XTR cassette + RD=M986 so far, its living up to the hype.

I live near the mtns, where i can do 2000" vertical in 3 miles. So i opted for the 28T.
    Sram must have sold a heap of there XX1 cranks.

Cool ride.

mtbr member

New question here.

Has anyone tried using front triple 9 or 10sp with XX 11 sp cassette? How does it work?
    Or Hammerschmidt with 11sp rear cassette?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Sram must have sold a heap of there XX1 cranks
    Yes they were surprisingly reasonably priced, especially if you look at the other parts of the XX1 (like $400 cassette).

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    Has anyone tried using front triple 9 or 10sp with XX 11 sp cassette? How does it work?
    Or Hammerschmidt with 11sp rear cassette?
    Hammerschmidt works.

The XX1 derailleur needs all it's range to cope with the size range of the XX1 Cassette,

Using it on a Double or Triple will brake the derailleur.

I have heard of 2 people that made that mistake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What a difference a couple years makes! Narrow wide rings are everywhere! I resent calling these rings "poor mans" versions, I call it a smart mans version! I bought my SLX crank 2 years ago for $100. Now I just spent $50 for the race face 30T ring. I also had to upgrade from my regular xt rd to the shadow plus but chainlove always has those popping up for $60 not to mention shimano has now trickled the clutch rd all the way down to deore I believe. I'm 250lbs so having enough low end is more important than high end hence the reason I'm on the 30T. I will say that a little more top end and bottom end would be desirable and for that reason, I wouldn't rule out xx1 in the future, particarly when I'm due for a new wheel set and can plan to invest in a compatible hub. Kudos to SRAM for truly innovating here. While they may have their share of quality control issues at times I do have to give it up to them for challenging status quo and not bing afraid to go up against shimano.

mtbr member
    subscribed
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5