Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNeener View Post
    Well I got my bike from the LBS yesterday with the xx1 crank installed. Unfortunately I realized, after I had gotten home of course, that a 156 Q factor crankset had been installed on my SB-95 instead of the 168 Q factor crank. I guess the wrong one was sent by the distributor. It clears the frame but, in just riding it down the street, I discovered that my heels hit the chainstays. Sigh.

The crank looks really cool and everything seems to work perfectly. I desperately want to ride now.
    What are you doing with the crank?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WFOracer View Post
    If fact.... I got a $100 for you if you can find one.
    Hey, I will accept paypal or cash:0) Look under the technology tab on this linky.
    Sram calls it x-sync, it is an alternating wide narrow tooth profile to mimic the wide narrow profile of any chain.

SRAM XX1 Crankset | SRAM

Root Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    What are you doing with the crank?
    So this has turned into quite a conundrum. I spoke with the LBS and they were going to take the Q156 crank back and reorder the Q168 for me, which would theoretically be in next Wednesday. Unfortunately, I got a phone call today to the effect of every distributor is out and nothing is available until the end of April. Yikes.

I then thought briefly about just ordering the whole group, but $1200 was a bit unpalatable to me at the moment. So that was out as an option too.

What we ended up doing was adding some pedal spacers (4-5 mm on each side) and that has made the difference. So I'm keeping the Q156 crank. It cleared the frame fine and I just needed a little extra space for my heels. Plus, I didn't want to wait until the end of April for this thing.

Now, if it would just stop raining, I could go ride it.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I installed my XX1 derailuer and shifter with a XT 10 speed cog and Sram 10 speed chain while I wait for the Stan's XD driver to ship. I took off the MRP1x I was using also. This is the quietest and most precise shifting I have ever experienced. I ran it up and down the ruffest trail I could find close by and had zero issues and zero noise. This system is dead silent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    I'm running a XX 1098 11-36 cassette, XX1 32T crank, and an XO type 2. This setup flat out works and is super quiet, no noise whatsoever.

... KMC x10sl.
    Same setup here. Worked perfect on a trail that's dropped my SS chain when it wasn't set 100% correctly.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Have a air9 rdo frame on order, so I was wondering if anyone is running a 36T along with a 11x36? I am currently on a 34T with a 9spd 11x34 and have no issues with gearing, so I figured I would be fine as I am still going to have that 1:1 ratio.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I dropped a chain to the outside the other day on my XX1 front chain ring and XT rear derailleur with clutch. Scratched up the crank pretty good.

I had gone over the same section multiple times with the same setup without any problems. Just an off camber log that I went over at probably 11mph and hit the rear wheel on it decently hard trying to bunny hop both wheels but couldn't clear it. Hopefully it was just a fluke as I have only had the crank on for 65 miles so far.

I removed two full links going from the 38 on my double to the 32 tooth XX1 chainring. The chain length looks good to me. I didn't want to go too short as I am playing with the idea of having a 34 and 30 tooth chainrings for different terrain.

I'm going to look into tightening up my clutch and see if that helps. The bike is only 6 months old and has less than 500 miles on it. I wouldn't think it would need to be tightened up that often, but I am unfamiliar with the clutch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just installed my XX1 derailuer last week running on an XT 12x36 cog. I fallowed SRAMs directions on chain length for the XX1. I always have run my chain short with 1x set ups but it is really tight now. The bottom of the derailleur moves a 1/4" or less in the big-big cog set up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I installed my XX1 derailuer and shifter with a XT 10 speed cog and Sram 10 speed chain while I wait for the Stan's XD driver to ship. I took off the MRP1x I was using also. This is the quietest and most precise shifting I have ever experienced. I ran it up and down the ruffest trail I could find close by and had zero issues and zero noise. This system is dead silent.
    So you are running 11 speed shifter/der with a 10 speed cog? Isn't the spacing between cogs different?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy View Post
    So you are running 11 speed shifter/der with a 10 speed cog? Isn't the spacing between cogs different?
    Not by much. It runs perfectly from the 36 down until second from last cog at the small end. It is a little slow to shift down to the 12 but I don't use that gear often and it shifts back up really fast.

I now have my XD driver and XX1 cog installed. But it is nice to know that I can swap back to the XT cog and 10 speed chain in a few minutes if I have any issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    Have a air9 rdo frame on order, so I was wondering if anyone is running a 36T along with a 11x36? I am currently on a 34T with a 9spd 11x34 and have no issues with gearing, so I figured I would be fine as I am still going to have that 1:1 ratio.
    Max chainring on air 9 rdo is 32T. I have XX1 on it and there simply no more space for larger rings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    I dropped a chain to the outside the other day on my XX1 front chain ring and XT rear derailleur with clutch. Scratched up the crank pretty good.

I had gone over the same section multiple times with the same setup without any problems. Just an off camber log that I went over at probably 11mph and hit the rear wheel on it decently hard trying to bunny hop both wheels but couldn't clear it. Hopefully it was just a fluke as I have only had the crank on for 65 miles so far.

I removed two full links going from the 38 on my double to the 32 tooth XX1 chainring. The chain length looks good to me. I didn't want to go too short as I am playing with the idea of having a 34 and 30 tooth chainrings for different terrain.

I'm going to look into tightening up my clutch and see if that helps. The bike is only 6 months old and has less than 500 miles on it. I wouldn't think it would need to be tightened up that often, but I am unfamiliar with the clutch.
    I just ordered the XX1 yesterday for my new Stumpy Comp Carbon, with the same XT clutch rear der as yours.
    Hopefully it all works out! I may leave the front der on it for a little while just to make sure it does not jump off. May also try to find a BG for it, which would help it from jumping to the outside as well...
    Question, do you know what the approximate weight savings was from your old 2x10 crankset to this one? I am not much of a weight weenie, just curious... I think the current 2x crankset on mine (S-1250) is pretty heavy.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    I just ordered the XX1 yesterday for my new Stumpy Comp Carbon, with the same XT clutch rear der as yours.
    Hopefully it all works out! I may leave the front der on it for a little while just to make sure it does not jump off. May also try to find a BG for it, which would help it from jumping to the outside as well...
    Question, do you know what the approximate weight savings was from your old 2x10 crankset to this one? I am not much of a weight weenie, just curious... I think the current 2x crankset on mine (S-1250) is pretty heavy.
    XX1 Crank
    793 1250 cranks
    139 FD
    160 Shifter + Cable

560 XX1 Crank
    532g savings or 1.18 pounds.

It got my Epic Comp Carbon down to 24.25 pounds with xpedo pedals and roval control carbon SL wheels. The only thing left that is a tank is the 1030 cassette and trying to decide if I want to wear it out, replace it with a 1080, or save up and go full XX1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    XX1 Crank
    793 1250 cranks
    139 FD
    160 Shifter + Cable

560 XX1 Crank
    532g savings or 1.18 pounds.

It got my Epic Comp Carbon down to 24.25 pounds with xpedo pedals and roval control carbon SL wheels. The only thing left that is a tank is the 1030 cassette and trying to decide if I want to wear it out, replace it with a 1080, or save up and go full XX1.
    This additional weight savings info is great to know, thanks! Mine weighed in at 22lbs. 15oz. yesterday at the shop(with XTR pedals), before ordering the XX1.
    I too have the Carbon Rovals, XT cassette, Haven carbon bar, Loaded Stem and Skewers, SLX brakes (the Maguras sucked, IMO), Thomson post, Bontrager Evoke saddle, S-works tires.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Like EpicFSR, I'm running an XX1 crankset (with 32 tooth ring) and Shimano rear mech - in my case an XTR Shadow+. I'm running an XTR shifter, SRAM XO 11-36 cassette and KMC 10 speed chain. I have not dropped a chain once since adding the crankset to this drivetrain about 6 months ago and have ridden some pretty rough terrain on a short travel duallie (SC Blur XC Carbon). I wanted to get rid of the front mech, not add a chain device which means the BB area is just as cluttered. If you want to avoid the cost of the XX1 cranks - which I think are surprisingly inexpensive - try the wolfracing XX1 copy rings which fit your existing crankset. I'm 60 years old with hip and knee replacements and can climb most things with the 32 + 11-36 combo, so it should suit most riders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have just finished my 1x10 build on my 2008 GT Avalanche Expert.
    Specs:
    X0 Trail Brakes 180mm front / 160mm rear
    Rockshox SID XX Dual Air Forks + Xloc
    X0 shifter
    X9 Type 2 short cage mech
    XX1 crank and 32 teeth chainring
    PG1070 11-36 Cassette
    PC1091R chain
    SRAM Rise 40 wheelset

COTA member
    I just switched to a X01 crankset with 30T chain ring w/11-36T cassette and type 2 X0 derailleur on my Niner J9 RDO. Working great. No chain drops (SRAM PC-1091R) and no climbs in Central Oregon that I have any trouble with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Medium or long cage ?

I need some help.

Going to run a 38t XX1 ring with a 11-36 cassette. This is my city bike.

Can I use a medium cage XO type 2 RD or do I have to use a long cage?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpinch View Post
    I need some help.

Going to run a 38t XX1 ring with a 11-36 cassette. This is my city bike.

Can I use a medium cage XO type 2 RD or do I have to use a long cage?
    Med will work fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks muzzanic.

I just bought the medium cage RD but can't test it out as I am having a new frame built. I keep reading conflicting posts that I have to go with a long cage.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Thanks muzzanic.

I just bought the medium cage RD but can't test it out as I am having a new frame built. I keep reading conflicting posts that I have to go with a long cage.
    Med works well, I have 2 bikes setup that way.

Front size only matters when you have 2 or 3 rings, with a single front ring nothing changes up front so the Derailieur only has to deal with the range on the rear cassette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great, that really helps.

Ya, the posts that said I needed a long cage were 2 ring setups.

Most relieved that I don't need to go buy another derailleur !

Carbon & Ti rule
    Great, that really helps.

Ya, the posts that said I needed a long cage were 2 ring setups.

Most relieved that I don't need to go buy another derailleur !
    Yes You can even get away with med cage on 2 ring setup, It's only when going 3 rings that you should run the long cage.

mtbr member
    Similar setup (29er):
    • XO crank with 28 direct mount ring
    • XT cassette 11-36
    • XT med cage clutch derailleur
    • Chain guide

So far so good, but also not enough time for a conclusion.
    I was thinking about the alternating rings of the XX1, but I cannot imagine not having a chain guide. Once you have a guide the flat ring works just fine. Cheaper and close weight even with the guide (~75 grams for direct mount ring and another 75 for guide).

Guide = peace of mind.

It will probably better with Zee short cage derailleur, but I am thinking about 11-40 cassette down the road and the Zee is too small for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well the XX1 cranks have been shipped so I guess I will find out. It will be 1x10 with XX1 cranks and a 2013 Shimano XT RD w/ clutch. I'm not planning on running a chain retention device for mostly XC riding.
    I using x01 crank with xt/clutch and work perfect with out retention device, my xc course include dh no chain drop!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast