Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    subscribed

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody have any thoughts on the 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 10 speed cassette? Does it feel too light, stiff, or just about right?

I have a HT that is set 2x9 32-22 and 11-32 cassette and I ride 98% of the time in the 32 ring. For the most part when I am on dirt I don't feel like I need anything more than the 32x11, but I will spin it out on pavement. On the other hand the 36 tooth cassette does help out on the lower end, but I am not going to have the range that I do with the 22x32 combo on my HT and don't want to go too stiff.

Eventually I think I will get a 34 ring and a 30 ring and swap them per the terrain that I am riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Anybody have any thoughts on the 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 10 speed cassette? Does it feel too light, stiff, or just about right?

I have a HT that is set 2x9 32-22 and 11-32 cassette and I ride 98% of the time in the 32 ring. For the most part when I am on dirt I don't feel like I need anything more than the 32x11, but I will spin it out on pavement. On the other hand the 36 tooth cassette does help out on the lower end, but I am not going to have the range that I do with the 22x32 combo on my HT and don't want to go too stiff.

Eventually I think I will get a 34 ring and a 30 ring and swap them per the terrain that I am riding.
    I ran 1x10 with a 32t ring, 11-36 cassette all last season. Worked great for pretty much everything I ride, but really depends on your trails and terrain?

As you said, you might run out of gears on paved stretches, but on the dirt I never felt like I needed more. Now if you ride a lot of fire roads or long flat double-track, 34t ring might be the better option?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tezi View Post
    I have been running XX1 cranks with XTR+ rear mech. I don't think I'll need chain guide with the rear mech but time will tell. Other than that, the drivetrain is completely silent and shifting is flawless. It works just like a dream, so smooooooth
    Here is a pic what I'm running:

Attachment 773454

Any 10sp chain will work.?

Certified Moots Whore...
    can anyone confirm that the xx1 spider for gxp and bb30 cranksets are different? neither say gxp or bb30 and neither is marked with a sram product code. i am only looking at pics of the bb30 spider as i own gxp versions.

i know x9/x0 spiders come in both gxp and bb30 but can't find any info on bb30 version of xx1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicFSR View Post
    Any 10sp chain will work.?
    Yeah it will eat any 10spd chain nicely! Propably all other chains as well, it's really clever engineering I must say.

Bro Mountainbiker
    XX1 Crank + type 2 derailleur + NO chain guide.

Anyone run this?

It would be cool to shave 70g of a paul chain keeper, but it wouldnt be worth it to drop even 1 chain a month.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

RIDE TO LIVE
    I am a SS but I recently put together an option for certain rides/times of year on my new Pivot Les. I run a Sram Force 10 sp road der with a shimano ultegra 11-23 cassette, XX 10sp shifter and Sram 1091R 10 sp chain. I call it a SS with options. Works killer and doesn't need a chainguide up front with my XX1 crankset/chainring (32T). Super fast shifts and no dropped chains so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Does anyone run the XX1 crankset with a 9sp chain?
    I'm planning an SS build and would quite like to use the XX1 crankset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    so, what was the consensus on the chainring size?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    This poster makes 1x rings, so it's in his interest not to get sued. Go ahead copy the sram tech, see what happens.
    MRP Bling Rings - Page 2 - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums
    Check these:
    e*13 Prototype Chain Rings - First Look - Pinkbike
    wolftoothcomponents.com

Certified Moots Whore...
    hey bud, it's gavin from bham. that is my current setup. xx1 crank and xo type 2 rear derailleur with no chain guide. running this on 2 bikes without a single issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Clever... View Post
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to confirm that you can absolutely run the new sram xx1 crankset with an entire sram 10 speed drive train.

Currently running:
    Sram XX1 crankset
    Sram XX shifter / brakes
    Sram X0 type 2 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    PC-1071 hollow pin chain
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette (more cogs on alloy carrier)

Have about 100 miles on this setup and it has not failed once. My old sram xx would occasionally drop a chain in the chunky stuff, but this xx1 stuff is the bomb.

I wouldn't waste my time posting this, but I know alot of guys (including myself) don't want to throw $400+ at a cassette and then still need a 11 speed shifter, rear derailleur, chain, and hub body.

Yes, you are giving up some gearing. But it is nice and silent and shaves about 0.75 lbs off your bike. I am currently testing a 32 and 34 tooth to see which I prefer. I never was 100% satisfied with the 2x10 offerings from sram and I think this will be the ticket until we see some 11 speed x0 parts trickle down.

I will probably end up on a full xx1 group down the road, but this is an easy way to give the whole 1x10or11 a try.

Hi, Im building a Chromag Stylus hardtail. I was wondering if this setup would work.

XX1 crankset GXP - 32T
    XO Type 2 derailleur (short cage)
    XO Shifter and Brakes
    SRAM XG-1080 Cassette 11-36T
    SRAM PC 1091R

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by ronnieboy; 03-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Certified Moots Whore...
    yes, that setup will work great.

Bro Mountainbiker
    hey bud, it's gavin from bham. that is my current setup. xx1 crank and xo type 2 rear derailleur with no chain guide. running this on 2 bikes without a single issue.
    Dope! Thanks man.
    I cant wait to try it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Had my first ride last Friday with XX1 cranks and an XT RD with clutch and no chain retention. The trails that I rode were pretty tame but I didn't have any issues at all. I ended up taking out two full links of chain going from the 38 to 32 chainrings to help avoid any chainslap. I didn't think about it for the whole ride. The only thing that was on my mind was the new gear ratios. I'll have to report back after I ride more technical trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm running a XX 1098 11-36 cassette, XX1 32T crank, and an XO type 2. This setup flat out works and is super quiet, no noise whatsoever.

I had a PC-1091 Sram chain on this and just switched to a KMC x10sl. Both chains worked flawlessly...

Only reason I could see needing the specific 11 speed chain would be because of the 11 speed cassette spacing.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello,

I'm in need of assistance.

I would like to get the XX1 Crank for and was wondering if the following setup would work:

Crank XX1
    Rear Derailleur XO (NOT the type 2) medium cage
    Shifter X9
    Cassette SRAM PG 1070, 11x36 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10SL

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=tezi;10189653]Yeah it will eat any 10spd chain nicely! Propably all other chains as well, it's really clever engineering I must say.[/QUOTE

is anyone running a full sram xx1 system how is it? ?? would you buy it again??? Or is it just hype

Root Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mislav_B View Post
    Hello,

I'm in need of assistance.

I would like to get the XX1 Crank for and was wondering if the following setup would work:

Crank XX1
    Rear Derailleur XO (NOT the type 2) medium cage
    Shifter X9
    Cassette SRAM PG 1070, 11x36 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10SL

Thank you!
    I can let you know tomorrow as I'm having my xx1 crank put on in the morning and have virtually the exact same setup except my rear derailleur is the long cage variety.

Bro Mountainbiker
    yes, that setup will work great.
    Gavin, you should update the first post and specifically state you are riding with NO chain guide. It may clarify things for dense posters like myself.

mtbr member
    Will be riding XX1 32T crank on Spearfish. Soon Report back in a few weeks.

XX1 32T Crank
    X9 Type 2 Rear Der.
    X9 10speed shifter
    XT cassette.
    KMC Chain.

Certified Moots Whore...
    just tried to update/edit. for some reason it will not let me update the original post. maybe it is too old?

Root Master
    Well I got my bike from the LBS yesterday with the xx1 crank installed. Unfortunately I realized, after I had gotten home of course, that a 156 Q factor crankset had been installed on my SB-95 instead of the 168 Q factor crank. I guess the wrong one was sent by the distributor. It clears the frame but, in just riding it down the street, I discovered that my heels hit the chainstays. Sigh.

The crank looks really cool and everything seems to work perfectly. I desperately want to ride now.
    Last edited by TwoNeener; 03-22-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNeener View Post
    Well I got my bike from the LBS yesterday with the xx1 crank installed. Unfortunately I realized, after I had gotten home of course, that a 156 Q factor crankset had been installed on my SB-95 instead of the 168 Q factor crank. I guess the wrong one was sent by the distributor. It clears the frame but, in just riding it down the street, I discovered that my heels hit the chainstays. Sigh.

The crank looks really cool and everything seems to work perfectly. I desperately want to ride now.

Oh man, thats too bad...how long until a replacement comes?
    Tnx for the info and please report back when you have some hours on it...

Cheers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast