Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hartwerks View Post
    A short cage type 2 derailleur can absolutely handle a 32 tooth ring with an 11-36 cassette without issue; that's exactly the setup that I run.
    How about a 34T ring with a 11-36 cassette with a type 2 short cage?

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    How about a 34T ring with a 11-36 cassette with a type 2 short cage?
    I don't think it matters that your front ring is larger. You might need a longer chain, but the front ring doesn't affect dérailleur capacity in a single ring setup.

Your derailleur must handle a capacity of (front largest - front smallest) + (rear largest - rear smallest). For a single ring with 11/36 cassette this is 25T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    to op are you running shimano dyna sys cassette as i would like to run xtr with xx0 type 2 short cage derailleur but do not want any shifting problems thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody try the 2013 XT rear w/ clutch with the XX1 crank/chainrings. I am thinking about going from 2x10 with heavy stock cranks and going with XX1 cranks. Does the SRAM type 2 provide more tension than the XT w/ clutch?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well the XX1 cranks have been shipped so I guess I will find out. It will be 1x10 with XX1 cranks and a 2013 Shimano XT RD w/ clutch. I'm not planning on running a chain retention device for mostly XC riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been running xx1 cranks with a SRAM X9 type 2 on my Air 9 for a couple of months now. No chain retention device and I ride mostly XC. I have not even came close to dropping the chain. I used to run RaceFace Evolve with a bashguard and N-stop and if I removed the N-stop I would drop the chain often. This set up is very quiet and shifts smooth with a KMC chain and SRAM cassette.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Well the XX1 cranks have been shipped so I guess I will find out. It will be 1x10 with XX1 cranks and a 2013 Shimano XT RD w/ clutch. I'm not planning on running a chain retention device for mostly XC riding.
    I have the exact same setup coming in the mail. I went with the Shimano RD because it seems their clutch is adjustable so you can control the tension to some degree. It also seems that Type 2 may still have some bugs to iron out:
    SRAM type 2 derailleur issues

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machianera View Post
    You can buy it here:

LEONARDI RACING Spider LK76 für Cannondale Hollowgram Sram XX1 schwar

mtbr member
    I have a brand new GXP xx1 spider w/32t ring that I'm looking to trade for the BB30 version of the same...Would possibly be interested in a slightly smaller ring say a 30t also...Let me know if anyone has anthing...

***Some background...Bought the gxp xx1 Cranks for my SS...Pulled off the xx1 spider and ring and put a bling ring on...Want to try the xx1 spider and ring on my FS that has XO cranks but it's the BB30 version***

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yea, I will also be running with a long cage RD. I guess I will see how that works. I might have to get a shorter cage if I get chain drops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by needajob View Post
    I have been running xx1 cranks with a SRAM X9 type 2 on my Air 9 for a couple of months now. No chain retention device and I ride mostly XC. I have not even came close to dropping the chain. I used to run RaceFace Evolve with a bashguard and N-stop and if I removed the N-stop I would drop the chain often. This set up is very quiet and shifts smooth with a KMC chain and SRAM cassette.
    I'm in the process of building an Air9 RDO and plan to go with 1x10 setup. Will the XX1 Crankset work with a PF30 BB? Looking at SRAM site, looks like only GXP or BB30?

Also wanted to confirm the XX1 Rings work good with a regular KMC 10 spd chain (X10SL)?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    subscribed

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by needajob View Post
    I have been running xx1 cranks with a SRAM X9 type 2 on my Air 9 for a couple of months now. No chain retention device and I ride mostly XC. I have not even came close to dropping the chain.
    If you want a cheap 1x10 a Shimano ZEE with a 32t Surly singlespeed chainring works very good and you get 95% of SRAM XX1 quality for less money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    BB30 and PF30 use the same cranks. Just dif bb methods to get the same results. I don't see why using any 10 speed chain wouldn't work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea, in my situation I am getting carbon cranks and a SS specific ring for 325 to upgrade over my stock x7 level cranks. I already have an xt with clutch. Made sense to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    BB30 and PF30 use the same cranks. Just dif bb methods to get the same results. I don't see why using any 10 speed chain wouldn't work.
    That's great news then! I wonder why SRAM doesn't list PF30 as an option at their site? For the X9, XO, and XX Cranksets they have this note:

Available in the following bottom bracket configurations: PF30, BB30, GXP and GXP PF

But for the XX1 Crankset they only list two BB's?

Bottom Bracket BB30, GXP

I guess the XX1 11 spd chain is only necessary when using the XX1 cassette?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm guessing that's because the X9, X0, XX cranks often include the BB where the XX1 does not.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    If you want a cheap 1x10 a Shimano ZEE with a 32t Surly singlespeed chainring works very good and you get 95% of SRAM XX1 quality for less money.
    I have X9 type 2 with 32T niner SS ring. I had put it 200 miles with this setup on my hardtail and finally over the weekend, I dropped the chain doing 27 mph on a rocky/bumpy (3-5" stutter bumps). Are the teeth on the Surly SS ring same height as the XX1's? The only reason why the XX1's are not dropping chain is because of the height of the teeth ( I think ).

mtbr member

Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear d

XX1 ring tooth profile is proprietary- unlike all the other ss rings

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Are the teeth on the Surly SS ring same height as the XX1's? The only reason why the XX1's are not dropping chain is because of the height of the teeth ( I think ).
    Have non SRAM ring here to compare. The secret are high teeth an a snug fit of a 10speed chain on the thick teeth. I rode some bumpy trails on a rigid bike and didn't loose the chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Calling your bluff... show me proof (patent).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    If fact.... I got a $100 for you if you can find one.

mtbr member

Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear d

This poster makes 1x rings, so it's in his interest not to get sued. Go ahead copy the sram tech, see what happens.
    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2716454#post2716454

cheers
    Sep 2010
    I was told gxp spider fits bb30 arms. I guess not, as you would have tried that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have been running XX1 cranks with XTR+ rear mech. I don't think I'll need chain guide with the rear mech but time will tell. Other than that, the drivetrain is completely silent and shifting is flawless. It works just like a dream, so smooooooth
    Here is a pic what I'm running:

Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear derail-525027_10151208050076116_1576255786_n.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast