Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25

    Currently have Conti Race Kings fr and r, better front for loose/dry/gravel/rocky?

    I've got a Niner (EMD, fully rigid) set up with Cont Race Kings 2.2 front and rear. I love the tires, but I'm in Utah and do alot of riding at lower altitudes with the typical loose rocky, gravel, sandy stuff. These tires do great on all the buff trails I hit, but I've had a few scary washouts with the front tire entering loose/gravelly turns, especially off camber turns.

    What tire would be a good replacement for the front Race King? I'm 180 lbs, would like something that still rolls pretty welll (do some riding ont eh asphalt to the trailhead), really good volume and cush (since I'm riding with a rigid CF niner fork), and at least stay within a reasonable weight...maybe that's too much to ask, not sure.

    Any suggestions on a front tire that fits the above that will compliment the Race King rear that will work in the dry/desert stuff well, especially loosely packed, rocky turns? Wet conditions aren't as much a priority since we get much less rain here..

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,414
    I've nevr run the Conti Race, but love the Ardent 2.4 over rocks, sand and loose stuff. Also rolls well on hard pack. I run mine at 17 psi tubeless on a Flow. I live in Phoenix.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

  3. #3
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,896
    ya.. loved the Race King as a rear but little scary as a front... probably anything with a little more tooth will do. Ardent (though i find them a tad heavy), Try an X-king.. Mtn Kings is what I have on front right now but might be a tad over kill for your terrain... Nevegal is a nice tire... as I always say it's the "perfect at nothing, but OK on anything" tire
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    636
    While I loved my RK, I too was getting tired of the front wheel washing out. The Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (2.25 TL EVO) are so much better.

  5. #5
    Bicycle Addict
    Reputation: J3SSEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,297
    WTB Wolverine on Weirwolf 2.5!!!!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    I've nevr run the Conti Race, but love the Ardent 2.4 over rocks, sand and loose stuff. Also rolls well on hard pack. I run mine at 17 psi tubeless on a Flow. I live in Phoenix.
    I've seen quite a few people run the Ardents. I was a little confused by a twentynineinches.com review which said they didn't excel as well in the looser stuff. I'll have to double check their exact wording. Of course any one review has to be taken with a grain of salt... Thanks for the recommendation - I'm definitely considering them

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya.. loved the Race King as a rear but little scary as a front... probably anything with a little more tooth will do. Ardent (though i find them a tad heavy), Try an X-king.. Mtn Kings is what I have on front right now but might be a tad over kill for your terrain... Nevegal is a nice tire... as I always say it's the "perfect at nothing, but OK on anything" tire
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into the X King for sure. Just curious why the Mtn King might be overkill for my type of terrain..additional thoughts on that?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    While I loved my RK, I too was getting tired of the front wheel washing out. The Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (2.25 TL EVO) are so much better.
    I've heard tons of good about that tire. What's been your experience with durability and tread wear? I had assumed that being a light, high volume racing tire that the sidewalls might be more prone to cuts and they might wear faster. Thoughts?

  9. #9
    KLF
    KLF is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Wayne7 View Post
    I've got a Niner (EMD, fully rigid) set up with Cont Race Kings 2.2 front and rear. I love the tires, but I'm in Utah and do alot of riding at lower altitudes with the typical loose rocky, gravel, sandy stuff. These tires do great on all the buff trails I hit, but I've had a few scary washouts with the front tire entering loose/gravelly turns, especially off camber turns.

    What tire would be a good replacement for the front Race King? I'm 180 lbs, would like something that still rolls pretty welll (do some riding ont eh asphalt to the trailhead), really good volume and cush (since I'm riding with a rigid CF niner fork), and at least stay within a reasonable weight...maybe that's too much to ask, not sure.

    Any suggestions on a front tire that fits the above that will compliment the Race King rear that will work in the dry/desert stuff well, especially loosely packed, rocky turns? Wet conditions aren't as much a priority since we get much less rain here..

    Thanks
    +1 on the X-King
    I, too, ride mostly dry conditions (SW CO). I switched from a front RK to XK and have discovered exactly the benefits you seek. I went with the 2.4 and highly recommend it. It will be about 3mm wider than the 2.2 RK on any given rim. I wouldn't describe my riding as overly aggressive but the XK front end feels more secure. The amazing thing is that it not only seems to roll quite well, it is actually quieter on pavement than the RK. Very cushy @~23 psi. These are things I HAVE noticed.
    I suppose one could consider the weight a downside. Mine is 784 g, it's quite a bit more than the the RK but I have NOT noticed that while riding.
    Last edited by KLF; 05-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.

  10. #10
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,896
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Wayne7 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into the X King for sure. Just curious why the Mtn King might be overkill for my type of terrain..additional thoughts on that?
    The Mtn King is a REALLY tall far spaced, flexy, knob and it can get very squirrely, though I haven't tried the new Mtn King 2 which looks kinda more like the Ardent's tread pattern than the old triangles pattern that I'm still using. The grip from these old style ones is awesome. but the wiggly/squirrely knobs can make you feel like it's washing out when it's not and can be really disturbing till you get to know how it handles. It's kinda like over steer in a car... where you start to slide, then it grabs and you end up quickly on the inside of a corner instead of out in the middle or up on a bank. they are really squirrely on hard pack or solid rock face terrain.

    I loved the Race rear and the Mtn King front but I kept getting sidewall tears in the Race because of the P-35 rims are wide and roll the sidewalls out farther to the point where the tread isn't protecting them anymore. Just got a X-king that I slapped on back. I really like it too.. Thinking in my terrain I might go with X-king front and back for the summer...

    Like KLF said get an X-king 2.4 up front and it should solve your issues very nicely...
    Last edited by thomllama; 05-22-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ne_dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    554
    Panaracer Rampage

  12. #12
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,916
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Wayne7 View Post
    I've got a Niner (EMD, fully rigid) set up with Cont Race Kings 2.2 front and rear. I love the tires, but I'm in Utah and do alot of riding at lower altitudes with the typical loose rocky, gravel, sandy stuff. These tires do great on all the buff trails I hit, but I've had a few scary washouts with the front tire entering loose/gravelly turns, especially off camber turns.

    What tire would be a good replacement for the front Race King? I'm 180 lbs, would like something that still rolls pretty welll (do some riding ont eh asphalt to the trailhead), really good volume and cush (since I'm riding with a rigid CF niner fork), and at least stay within a reasonable weight...maybe that's too much to ask, not sure.

    Any suggestions on a front tire that fits the above that will compliment the Race King rear that will work in the dry/desert stuff well, especially loosely packed, rocky turns? Wet conditions aren't as much a priority since we get much less rain here..

    Thanks
    Try a Nobby Nic 2.25 or 2.35 up front - or an Ardent 2.25 or 2.4 for surer footed handling up front than the Race King. As good as the Race Kings are, you'll get more traction front and rear with something like Maxxis Ikons or Schwalbe Racing Ralphs if you want to be in the same XC tire "category" as the Race Kings and run the same tire f/r.

    BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 05-22-2012 at 07:19 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Wayne7 View Post
    I've heard tons of good about that tire. What's been your experience with durability and tread wear? I had assumed that being a light, high volume racing tire that the sidewalls might be more prone to cuts and they might wear faster. Thoughts?
    My RK's were about 50G lighter than the RaRa. I've only been running the RaRa's for couple months so no long term wear info. Both tires have thin walls but the RK was even thinner and more likely to suffer sidewall damage - but I never did. Once you run a light tire, its tough to run a heavy again. It would be a different story if I were bombing sharp rock gardens..

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    104
    Like others said, X-king would probably do the trick.

    Another suggestion is to put a Geax Saguaro on the front. Good volume in the 2.2, larger knobs than the race king gives good bite, but they still roll very well. Also fairly light (standard non-tubeless version) but decent sidewalls, and competitively priced.

    I'm currently running the saguaro (standard version) on front and race king on back, ghetto (gorilla tape) tubeless, on my rigid ss. I'm liking the results so far, similar riding conditions to the op's (dry, hardpack to loose and rocks).

    Sent using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for taking the time to share your insights all - extremely helpful! I'm leaning toward an X-King, but a few others mentioned I'll look into as well. Gracias!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •